Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Betty Crocker Gluten Free Mixes

21 posts in this topic

I just called Betty Crocker (800-446-1898) and asked about soy flour being added to the cake mixes. I decided to call after doing a quick search, and noticing that it was only the Devil's Food variety that seemed to be in question and that seemed odd to me.

I spoke to a very nice woman who told me that she had heard of no reformulation at all on any of the gluten-free mixes. She said that they are always informed of such changes, and that after all the time spent coming up with the correct proportions and everything for the line, it would be highly unlikely that they would make such a change after 18 months.

She did tell me that she has heard that a-m-a-z-o-n put on their site info from some sample package flats that did list soy flour--but those were just test samples that do not reflect the product that is on store shelves.

Ads by Google:

Ugh...I see that. Maybe she didn't know from whence she spoke?

but it's weird that it's at the very bottom. Maybe it's a typo and meant to say the disclaimer about maybe containing soy?

The disclaimer on the Am a Zombie site for the Betty Crocker gluten free products say don't count on the product descriptions here, make sure to read the labels as ingredient formulations may change. .

So when I last looked at the BC site before commenting, it says the cake has soy.

I'm pulling up the BC website right now and it redirected me to general mills and the page for the gluten-free Choc Devils Food Cake says right on the top:

"Product formulations, packaging and promotions may change, for current information, refer to packaging on store shelves."

And it says "soy flour" on the ingredients. I just took a screen shot of it.

ingredients sugar white rice flour potato starch cocoa processed with alkali, tapioca starch, sodium bicarbonate, salt, guar gum, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate, soy flour.

Contains soy ingredients

http://www.generalmills.com/home/brands/baking_products/betty_crocker/brand%20product%20list%20page.aspx#%7B3d64d54a-c695-4833-aa60-077f7d0d44a5%7D

Bad Betty. :angry:

Yeah--it's very odd. I tried to call back, but they were closed. I do plan to call back tomorrow, just to see what another rep will tell me.

Takala, I saw that too on the website after Jess posted the link. Has anyone seen the soy flour listed on an actual box?

We only have one of the gluten free brownie boxes in the cupboard pantry, and it just says "contains soy ingredients" on it. Presumably from the soy lecithin which is listed in the "semi sweet chocolate chips" part, after "sugar."

I'm in northern CA, btw.

Takala, I saw that too on the website after Jess posted the link. Has anyone seen the soy flour listed on an actual box?

Yup...I just checked the box of devil's food that I have in my pantry and it definitely has soy flour listed in the ingredients.

Yup...I just checked the box of devil's food that I have in my pantry and it definitely has soy flour listed in the ingredients.

Well, I guess that's it then. The rep I spoke to was mistaken.

I have both the yellow and the devils food cake mixes here and they do not have soy listed in the ingredients. They do have a disclaimer that says "may contain soy ingredients". These were boxes that I bought on closeout sale at Food Lion. I wonder if they really have soy flour and they closed them out because the "may contain soy" was a misprint? Argh! What to do? I have about six boxes left. Soy lecthin is not too bad and I will risk soy cc, but soy flour REALLY makes me sick. The last time I had this cake mix was actually right before I got very sick with brochitus and pnuemonia. I was starting to get sick with what I thoguht was a cold so I made up a batch of pumpkin muffins using the yellow cake mix so I would have something easy to snack on while I was sick. Now I'll never no if the extreme achiness and fatigue was due to the "cold" or due to the soy flour in these unless I try some again. I'll tell you what if I find out that these boxes actually contain soy flour Betty will be getting apiece of my mind. :angry:

_______

Aha ! Save the evidence, says Soy Scene Investigation !

_______

Aha ! Save the evidence, says Soy Scene Investigation !

:lol: :lol:

I'm going to try to post a photo of the ones I have. Bare with me, I've never done photos on here.

016.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Devil's food^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yellow cake^^^^^^

Someone on another food allergy site said the new boxes do contain soy flour. If your boxes do not, then maybe they are old. If this is true, this is not good. We do not eat soy flour. But occasional soy lecithin is okay.

I got rid of all my boxes went I went tater free. I did see on the BC site that the yellow cake mix now contains soy flour. I am sure it didn't have soy flour listed as an ingredient before though. Pretty sure it said may contain traces of soy.

I suspect my local Food Lion store closed them out because they weren't selling. Heck, they really don't carry any specialty gluten-free foods. I figured maybe it was because I live in small town, USA and sales just didn't support stocking them. Everything revolves around the almighty dollar.

Right now they only carry the brownie mix and don't even have gluten-free Bisquick.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but because I said I'd call this morning, I just did. The lady wasn't aware of any changes (which is interesting considering the one yesterday made such a point of telling me that they are always informed of changes) but she looked up the ingredients and sure enough, the chocolate cake mix showed soy flour in the ingredients.

She seemed interested in why I was concerned, and after we chatted for a few minutes she said she would forward my comments.

I also sent an email to them this morning--maybe if they get enough complaints they will revert back to the original formula.

We can hope :D

Not to beat a dead horse here, but because I said I'd call this morning, I just did. The lady wasn't aware of any changes (which is interesting considering the one yesterday made such a point of telling me that they are always informed of changes) but she looked up the ingredients and sure enough, the chocolate cake mix showed soy flour in the ingredients.

She seemed interested in why I was concerned, and after we chatted for a few minutes she said she would forward my comments.

I also sent an email to them this morning--maybe if they get enough complaints they will revert back to the original formula.

We can hope :D

Can you share the e-mail address you used? I plan to write to them as well.

Can you share the e-mail address you used? I plan to write to them as well.

Go here--

http://www.bettycrocker.com/

Then go all the way to the bottom and click on contact us on the left.

Go here--

http://www.bettycrocker.com/

Then go all the way to the bottom and click on contact us on the left.

Thank you! I was wondering if they had a specific one for the gluten-free foods, but that will work.