Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Isn't It Ironic?

9 posts in this topic

I checked out a book today by Jax Peter Lowell call against the grain. It seemed like a good book, I was wondering if anyone has read it and if you would recommend it. I saw a quote on the back cover that I thought was great.....

Isn't it ironic that the french word for bread is the english word for pain?

How profound :lol:

Wendy

Ads by Google:

How profound :lol:

Wendy

Thats too funny! :lol: I never knew that

Somewhere around here is an ongoing saga concerning this author and her book. Only say nice things about her book or she'll sue you too. ;)

I can tell you quite a few people wouldn't recommend that book b/c they feel the some of the information in it is not accurate. You can do a search in the forums for the book by typing +against+the+grain in the search box. You can then read the posts individuals have made concerning the book. I would say the most recommended book on this forum is "wheat free, worry free" by danna korn. You can order or buy it just about anywhere, including on amazon.

That is funny about the word "pain" too :) I took french for several years and never really thought about it. I have noticed wheat in another language is ble.... makes me think "bleh!" :lol:

Hi jenvan,

Thanks for the heads up, I will defintaley start looking around the forum to see what the others have to say. I'm going right now to Amazon and check out the book by Danna Korn. Thanks for the recomendation. :)

I love the ble "Bleh" is right! :D

Wendy

No prob Wendy :)

Even better that the world for wheat gluten (according to macrobiotics) is "seitan" pronounced Satan - OR that one French word for wheat is "ble" which is kind of how it makes me feel - BLEH! :P

That is funny about the word "pain" too :) I took french for several years and never really thought about it. I have noticed wheat in another language is ble.... makes me think "bleh!" :lol:

DOH! I didn't even read this post before I posted mine! Sorry!

Maybe I should start paying attention... :blink:

- Michelle :wub:

Most of my comments on the Gluten Free Bible apply to Against the Grain, as well. And many things are worse in that book than in her updated version--for example, her stance on cross-contamination. I'm going to restrain myself from saying any more than "I don't like it."

Yes, I had thought the same way before about ble (imagine an accent aigu over the e because I'm not going to bother to paste one in here...)