Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do You Also Avoid Soybean Products?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Are you gluten free and also avoiding soy? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you gluten free and also avoiding soy?

1. Yes (34 votes [79.07%])

Percentage of vote: 79.07%

2. No (9 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

18 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

With Betty Crocker adding soy flour to their gluten-free mixes I was just curious how many celiacs/gluten intolerant people here also have to avoid soybeans in any form. It's a pretty straight forward poll, but just to clarify choose yes if you avoid any gluten-free type of soy, even if you don't avoid soybean oil or soy lectin. Choose no if you use gluten-free soy sauce and don't worry about soy in other forms at all. Obviously we ALL should be avoiding the non-gluten free soy sauce. :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:05 AM

I think there are quite a few of us, at least from what I have read here on the board. It did take me quite a while to realize it was an issue for me. I thought for a long time that I was getting CC'd until I started keeping a food and reaction diary. Enterolab then confirmed my suspicions.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:30 AM

I voted a quick "yes" yesterday but had to run. I react to soy (even the oil) with cramping and D. I've also noticed that a soy sensitivity doesn't seem to be unusual amongst Celiacs.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:59 AM

While I voted no, I have no idea if I have a problem with soy or not. I do still have some issues and am still trying to figure out how sensitive I might be to a lot of ingredients.

But if given a choice among products, I would choose the one without soy just knowing it causes a lot of problems for many. For example, Earth Balance, which comes in both versions. Damn, our local Wal-Marts have quit carrying it.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

Sort of. I haven't eaten any soy in about a month as a trial. No change so I assume I'm okay with it. There's nothing I particularly want to eat right now that actually contains soy so I'm just carrying on as I am. At some point, I'll reintroduce it but I want to finish my soy-free Earth Balance first. :P
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#6 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:14 AM

My first exposure to soy after going rigorously gluten free/soy free was almost worse than a glutening. I avoid it like the plague.

#7 lisa25

lisa25

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

My soy reaction is just as bad as a gluten reaction. No soy oil or soy lecithin for me. I also have to watch for products that are produced on the same lines as soy containing products.
Lisa

Gluten Free 2/08
Dairy & Soy Free 8/08
Corn & Egg Free 3/10

Lots of autoimmune in family, no diagnosed celiacs. Non-supportive doctors...told there was nothing wrong with me. Tested by Enterolab. Diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia (6/10). Doing much better managing hypoglycemia in addition to no eggs or corn.

#8 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

I voted no but with the exception of soy lecitin and soy sauce I rarely eat any. (there's one candy made with soy flour I eat). I do avoid soy oil but that's not because of the soy. All these "modern" oils like soy, corn or canola make me sick.

#9 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

I voted no but with the exception of soy lecitin and soy sauce I rarely eat any. (there's one candy made with soy flour I eat). I do avoid soy oil but that's not because of the soy. All these "modern" oils like soy, corn or canola make me sick.

When you say you eat soy sauce, it's the gluten-free kind right? Regular soy sauce contains wheat ;)

#10 julandjo

julandjo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

My soy reaction is just as bad as a gluten reaction. No soy oil or soy lecithin for me. I also have to watch for products that are produced on the same lines as soy containing products.

Ditto!
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

#11 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:40 AM

When you say you eat soy sauce, it's the gluten-free kind right? Regular soy sauce contains wheat ;)

I use Tamari - one that doesn't have any warning about cc (took me long time to find it). There's not many meals left that I can eat with soy sauce anyway - I'm crossreacting to rice so it's hard to get noodles for my stir-fry. (there are one in vietnamese shop that say arrowroot in english, rice in czech and tapioca or something else in slovak, not brave enough to try those. :ph34r: They look quite yummy though.)

#12 Estella

Estella

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

Have Hashimoto's so soy was out of my diet long before gluten. Several years later I found dairy gave me problems so dropped that. Then a number of years later gluten reared it's ugly head. So far I'm not noticing any other things causing issues...fingers crossed!

#13 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

I've been sort of avoiding soy for years because it interferes with my thyroid meds. But now I avoid it because I read up on it and the processing makes me want to :blink: in addition to the thyroid issue.
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#14 Marz

Marz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:26 AM

I avoid soy - bad stomach pain, nausea, running to the loo for a whole day afterward - it's just no good for me :( Thank goodness I don't react to soy lecithin!

I realised it was soy after eating gluten-free "Ensure" - it's a powder mix with milk, soy and maize/corn proteins. Upset my stomach so badly... and I know I'm fine with milk and maize.

Then I tried soy milk that should have also been gluten-free, immediate sore stomach - I call it a "gut-punched" feeling, because I hunch over like I've been punched from the pain, hehe.
Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks
July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms
July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem
Gluten intolerant

#15 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:07 AM

Wow, the number of people on this board avoiding soy is much higher than I was expecting. I avoid soy because hypothyroidism runs in my family and I have noticed when I eat soy my joints hurt more and I feel run down. Also soybean oil gives me migrains sometimes. I only cheat with soy lecthin in chocolate and when I go out to a restaurant. I don't worry too much about whether they cook with soybean oil--gluten free is much more important than soy free to me, but I will ask if I'm getting something like a gluten free pizza crust if it has soy flour and I won't get it. I found out the hard way that Uno's gluten-free crust has soy flour in it and so I won't get pizza there anymore. The soy flour really does me in. I'll hurt for a week after having soy flour.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: