This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Not To Make My Dh Flare Up

Lincoln

Lincoln Rookie

Hey all,

I have relatively mild DH around my elbows and knees, at first I was on antibiotics and had silver strips all over it (this did next to nothing), anyway I have remained gluten free for over a week now without being cross contaminated and the sores were clearing up but they have now flared up again. I was just wondering if anyone knows whether gluten containing soaps and bathroom products could be causing this? It really is annoying as hell and looks awful. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Lincoln

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

DH can take quite a while to clear from your system, even while gluten free. Do make sure that everything is gluten-free and that you aren't getting any cross contamination. For those with DH, topical products that are gluten-free are really the best bet. Also, for the time being, eliminate sources of iodine from your diet, as iodine is required in the reaction that leaves IgA deposits in the skin which cause DH.

Lincoln Rookie

Thank you, very informative (especially about the iodine) but will gluten containing bathroom/skin products make the DH any worse?

mushroom Proficient

Even those of us without DH tend to avoid personal care products that contain wheat. I would think with DH it would be even more important.

Lincoln Rookie

That's pretty much what I thought, DH really sucks though lol

cassP Contributor

Hey all,

I have relatively mild DH around my elbows and knees, at first I was on antibiotics and had silver strips all over it (this did next to nothing), anyway I have remained gluten free for over a week now without being cross contaminated and the sores were clearing up but they have now flared up again. I was just wondering if anyone knows whether gluten containing soaps and bathroom products could be causing this? It really is annoying as hell and looks awful. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Lincoln

hey- mine took about 4 months to go away even after going gluten free... i also used a topical ionized silver ointment from Whole Foods. i thought i'd try it (because others talk about using Dapsone- a powerful antibiotic)-> and silver is a natural antibiotic- and also antibiotics have an antiinflammatory effect as well.

it really stopped the itch in its tracks.

i DID actually notice itching there when i had some Nut Thins (at <20ppm) and also over thanksgiving with all the gluten-free corn bread i had (dont know if it was cause some of us have similar reactions to corn, or if it had some gluten at <20ppm).

i also had a tiny bit of itching with a really hot shower a couple of times.

i do use a body lotion that i think may have wheat in it- but i never use it where i had DH.

good luck!

CrazyforCandles Rookie

I had no idea that personal care products had Wheat in them! Geez! Anyone have a list of the "no-no's" ? My DH covers me from neck to toe... getting better going gluten free this last week but EVERY time I eat salt- I start itching :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ChemistMama Contributor

I had no idea that personal care products had Wheat in them! Geez! Anyone have a list of the "no-no's" ? My DH covers me from neck to toe... getting better going gluten free this last week but EVERY time I eat salt- I start itching :(

Are you eating iodized salt? When you first go gluten-free, to keep the DH from getting worse you need to stay away from iodine and NSAIDS(like advil and aleve) for awhile until all the the gluten gets out of your system, maybe a couple months. Iodine is found in vitamins, seaweed, and shellfish, as well as iodized salt. Once you're gluten-free for awhile iodine and NSAIDS won't be a problem and you can have them again.

As for personal care products, the gluten can't get into your system through your skin (seems logical, but a lot of people on these boards argue to the contrary), but if you then lick your fingers after eating or get some of your hair in your mouth then you're ingesting the gluten and that is bad. Watch for oatmeal too, no aveeno products anymore!

Archived