This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Upset...not Only Can't They See Me Sooner

okieinalaska

okieinalaska Apprentice

I called directly to the Gastro Doc's office today and spoke with someone about getting an appointment possibly before Christmas. The lady promised to call me back in 20 minutes and then never did. I waited an hour and a half to call back and then no one remembered talking to me and of course I didn't know the name.

So I explain all over again and he checks the schedule (the doc is of course taking a couple of weeks off over the Holidays I find out) and yes Jan 13 is the first available appointment. I ask a question about the endo and he says we have to schedule that. I said the lady who made the appointment told me this WAS the endo, you mean I have to wait even longer? I am in pain, eating a normal diet and they told me I had to keep eating that way till my appointment.

So he goes and puts me on hold and comes back and tells me the gastro doc says if I am in pain to stop eating that diet. I tell him I am worried about messing up my test results and my other doc told me to eat normally so I wouldn't. He just repeated again what the endo doc said.

Then when I asked more questions, it's likely I will have to wait 2 weeks out from that appointment to get the endo. When I told him the referral line told me this WAS the endo he just said "Yeah, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed over there". And that I would have to first meet the doc and talk about my issues and the blood work then they would schedule the endo.

(which totatly makes sense but that is not what I was told)

Ugh. I could just cry.

Amy in AK

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If I remember correctly your blood test levels are pretty high. I would do what the GI doctor said and stop eating gluten. You may find when you go to the doctor that with your blood test results and your response to the diet that he doesn't feel he needs an endo to 'diagnose' you. Contact the doctor that referred you and ask that they send your records so that the GI can see what your symptoms were on gluten. You could call the GI office again to make sure that is what is a possibility. Some doctors will 'officially' diagnose that way. Some doctors will also do a call back after hours so you can talk directly to them, that might be something to ask about also so you can hear it directly from the doctor.

Archived