This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Endoscopy

tennisman

tennisman Contributor

Hi , I had an Endoscopy on wednesday just over 48 hours ago and I still feel really tired and out of it lol. I had an endoscopy 7 years ago and never felt tired after. But this time I still feel tired . The Nurse said the sedation should be gone by 24 hours. Has anyone else had an Endoscopy and still felt tired a few days after ?

Thanks

Tennisman

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laura4669 Apprentice

Yes, I had an endoscopy in September, and it took several days for me to get rid of that "tired" feeling. Sometimes it takes a while for the sedation drugs to fully leave your body. Maybe it is taking longer this time than last time! If you don't feel better soon, maybe you should call your doc.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I did have that happen with one endo. I didn't react well to the drug (it didn't work) they gave me and they had to give me a great deal of it. On the next endo I was given a different drug and didn't have the same effect. Do discuss this with your doctor especially if it left you with other effects.

tennisman Contributor

Yes, I had an endoscopy in September, and it took several days for me to get rid of that "tired" feeling. Sometimes it takes a while for the sedation drugs to fully leave your body. Maybe it is taking longer this time than last time! If you don't feel better soon, maybe you should call your doc.

Thanks for the advice :) , hopefully by tomorrow the drugs will have worn off. If not I will call my doctor.

tennisman Contributor

I did have that happen with one endo. I didn't react well to the drug (it didn't work) they gave me and they had to give me a great deal of it. On the next endo I was given a different drug and didn't have the same effect. Do discuss this with your doctor especially if it left you with other effects.

Thanks for the advice :) I was really nervous before the test and the doctor said he would make sure I was asleep so maybe he gave me a stronger dose, I also had the throat spray ( which didn't go down to well lol ) maybe that could have affected things. That must have been horrible not reacting well to the drug :( I have a few side effects hopefully they will go soon.

jenngolightly Contributor

Hi , I had an Endoscopy on wednesday just over 48 hours ago and I still feel really tired and out of it lol. I had an endoscopy 7 years ago and never felt tired after. But this time I still feel tired . The Nurse said the sedation should be gone by 24 hours. Has anyone else had an Endoscopy and still felt tired a few days after ?

Thanks

Tennisman

I know that many times they give you IV Benadryl when they do endoscopes because it helps make the anesthesia work better. If you are susceptible to benedryl's sleepy side-effects, that may make you drowsy, but I don't know how long that would last. I know about the IV stuff because it was at the endoscopy that I found out that I'm allergic to IV Benadryl. Yikes!

tennisman Contributor

I know that many times they give you IV Benadryl when they do endoscopes because it helps make the anesthesia work better. If you are susceptible to benedryl's sleepy side-effects, that may make you drowsy, but I don't know how long that would last. I know about the IV stuff because it was at the endoscopy that I found out that I'm allergic to IV Benadryl. Yikes!

That was a bad time to find out you were allergic to IV Benadryl :( My tiredness has pretty much gone now and the hallucinating has also stopped today so hopefully the drugs have worn off :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That was a bad time to find out you were allergic to IV Benadryl :( My tiredness has pretty much gone now and the hallucinating has also stopped today so hopefully the drugs have worn off :D

I didn't realize you were also hallucinating. Please be sure to bring that effect to the attention of your doctor. Whatever they gave you they need to be sure not to give it to you again. Glad your starting to feel better.

tennisman Contributor

I didn't realize you were also hallucinating. Please be sure to bring that effect to the attention of your doctor. Whatever they gave you they need to be sure not to give it to you again. Glad your starting to feel better.

Thanks :) I will tell my doctor about the hallucinating and other effects when I get my results. The hallucinating was horrible, but they have stopped now :D

Loey Rising Star

Thanks for the advice :) I was really nervous before the test and the doctor said he would make sure I was asleep so maybe he gave me a stronger dose, I also had the throat spray ( which didn't go down to well lol ) maybe that could have affected things. That must have been horrible not reacting well to the drug :( I have a few side effects hopefully they will go soon.

I find that now that I have Celiac (and an ulcer and IBS) I have less energy so when I have a procedure where I receive anesthesia it takes longer to shake it off. If your schedule allows for it just rest and let your body tell you when you're ready to be out and about. Hope the test results are OK.

Sending healing thoughts,

Loey

tennisman Contributor

I find that now that I have Celiac (and an ulcer and IBS) I have less energy so when I have a procedure where i receive anesthesia it takes longer to shake it off. If your schedule allows for it just rest and let your body tell you when you're ready to be out and about. Hope the test results are OK.

Sending healing thoughts,

Loey

Sorry you are having problems with an ulcer and IBS :( By the way how did you find out you have IBS ? The reason i'm asking is because the last 2 stomach doctors I have seen have talked about IBS. 1 Doctor said I have IBS and the other Doctor said I could have it, are there tests avaliable or can it be seen by an Endoscopy ?

I have been resting a lot :) Thanks :)

Loey Rising Star

Sorry you are having problems with an ulcer and IBS :( By the way how did you find out you have IBS ? The reason i'm asking is because the last 2 stomach doctors I have seen have talked about IBS. 1 Doctor said I have IBS and the other Doctor said I could have it, are there tests avaliable or can it be seen by an Endoscopy ?

I have been resting a lot :) Thanks :)

I tried answering yesterday but my computer was weird. Now keep in mind I'm changing doctors because this one hasn't done anything to help me since i moved to a new state in August. My old GI in NJ wanted me to have a capsule endoscopy as soon as I moved and the new GI wouldn't order it. After being in intense pain since August I put my foot down. That's what showed the ulcer. Then he ordered an EGD and when I saw him in the office he told me about IBS. He's never given me any guideline, diet instructions (IBS has additional dietary restrictions). I know that we do most of the legwork but I feel as though he thinks I was just looking for pain meds (which I never asked for and don't take because I want to know what's triggering the pain). My husband's co-worker goes to the new GI I'm going to see and says he'll spend an hour or as long as you need talking to you and will try anything you find in addition to what they know to help you.

It took my husband's friend 2 years to really get the IBS in check so I figure with my combination of problems it might take me longer. I'm a fighter so I'm going to conquer this!

I hope you're feeling better and have gotten over the sedation. Feel free to PM me with any questions or just to vent. I'm a relative newbie but I'm an avid researcher.

Loey smile.gif

Kimbalou Enthusiast

Thanks

Tennisman

I just had one and felt tired for only 24 hrs. You should feel more awake soon! You must be sensitive to it!

tennisman Contributor

I tried answering yesterday but my computer was weird. Now keep in mind I'm changing doctors because this one hasn't done anything to help me since i moved to a new state in August. My old GI in NJ wanted me to have a capsule endoscopy as soon as I moved and the new GI wouldn't order it. After being in intense pain since August I put my foot down. That's what showed the ulcer. Then he ordered an EGD and when I saw him in the office he told me about IBS. He's never given me any guideline, diet instructions (IBS has additional dietary restrictions). I know that we do most of the legwork but I feel he though I was just looking for pain meds (which I never asked for and don't take because I want to know what's triggering the pain). My husband's co-worker goes to the new GI I'm going to see and says he'll spend an hour or as long as you need talking to you and will try anything you find in addition to what they know to help you.

It took my husband's friend 2 years to really get the IBS in check so I figure with my combination of problems it might take me longer. I'm a fighter so I'm going to conquer this!

I hope you're feeling better and have gotten over the sedation. Feel free to PM me with any questions or just to vent. I'm a relative newbie but I'm an avid researcher.

Loey smile.gif

No problem :) Sounds like your doctor is stupid :( I hate when the doctor tries to give you medicine and end the appointment. ( I take Mebeverine Open Original Shared Link I know you said you don't want med but this is suppose to be good for IBS I don't know if you have tried it but it seems to work for me 90 % of the time :) ) I'm sorry you have bad pain I hope the new doctor will help you figure out what is causing the pain :) Good luck and I really hope you can sort the problem out :)

I think the sedation has almost gone but I still feel a little out of it a few times of the day lol. Thanks :)

tennisman Contributor

I just had one and felt tired for only 24 hrs. You should feel more awake soon! You must be sensitive to it!

Cool :) I had one before and felt fine the same day . But this time it was different , I was very nervous and maybe the doctor gave me more sedation :P

Loey Rising Star

No problem :) Sounds like your doctor is stupid :( I hate when the doctor tries to give you medicine and end the appointment. ( I take Mebeverine Open Original Shared Link I know you said you don't want med but this is suppose to be good for IBS I don't know if you have tried it but it seems to work for me 90 % of the time :) ) I'm sorry you have bad pain I hope the new doctor will help you figure out what is causing the pain :) Good luck and I really hope you can sort the problem out :)

I think the sedation has almost gone but I still feel a little out of it a few times of the day lol. Thanks :)

I'm glad the sedation is almost out of your system. Just keep letting your body rest.

I don't mind taking meds. He thought I was looking for something in the oxycontin family. I currently take donnatal but it doesn't help with the IBS. I'll mention your med to the new doctor. I can't wait to see him but first I had to get a referral and now my appointment isn't until January 20th. I've gone since August being an 8 to a 10 on the pain scale so I can go a few more weeks. I'm a tough cookie. I picked my current (new) GI out of the phone book because I had to get my son genetically tested before he left for college. Thankfully he tested negative or it would have been another thing to blame mom for laugh.gif.

I hope you feel better and if you have any questions about your tests or the results feel free to PM me. As I think I mentioned I'm an avid researcher who is currently unemployed. I'm also a 99'er so I hope I can get on disability.

Sending holiday wishes,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Thanks for the link to the medication I'll bring t with me to the appointment.

Loey

tennisman Contributor

I'm glad the sedation is almost out of your system. Just keep letting your body rest.

I don't mind taking meds. He thought I was looking for something in the oxycontin family. I currently take donnatal but it doesn't help with the IBS. I'll mention your med to the new doctor. I can't wait to see him but first I had to get a referral and now my appointment isn't until January 20th. I've gone since August being an 8 to a 10 on the pain scale so I can go a few more weeks. I'm a tough cookie. I picked my current (new) GI out of the phone book because I had to get my son genetically tested before he left for college. Thankfully he tested negative or it would have been another thing to blame mom for laugh.gif.

I hope you feel better and if you have any questions about your tests or the results feel free to PM me. As I think I mentioned I'm an avid researcher who is currently unemployed. I'm also a 99'er so I hope I can get on disability.

Sending holiday wishes,

Loey

I will keep resting :)

It's a shame the donnatal medicine doesn't work. Cool hopefully the medicine I mentioned will help :) I had really bad stomach pain tonight and 2 hours after taking the medicine my stomach calmed down a lot. Good luck at the january appointment :) Hopefully the next few weeks go quick . I have to see my doctor about my Endoscopy results in Feb. It's going to be funny as my doctor knows how much I dislike Endoscopy's ( for years after I was diagnosed with celiac disease my doctor wanted to do another Endoscopy but I refused lol ) and as another doctor arranged the test for me , I think my original doctor will be shocked I had another Endoscopy lol. Good job your son tested negative :)

Thanks again :) I also research a lot and i'm also unemployed , my dream is too find a cure for celiac disease :D Good luck with getting disability , I tried once before but the council people were useless. I know some people who have low income or who are too lazy to get a job and they get benefits easy , yet I have back problems , celiac disease , other stomach problems etc and get no help it's ridiculous lol.

Happy Christmas :)

tennisman Contributor

Loey

Your welcome , hopefully the medicine can help you :)

gf-soph Apprentice

Loey

Just thought I'd add that I used mebeverine for a couple of years, it worked amazingly well in stopping the horrible spasming I used to get throughout the digestive tract. Happily I haven't needed it for months since I have been on an elimination diet, but it was the one thing that really helped. There were days I was in so much pain for days that I was close to going to hospital, and once I had that medication I never had sustained pain that bad again. My magic combination was to take buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide)to fix stomach pain and gassiness and mebeverine for the spasming and lower pain. Hope it helps, and your stupid dr should have no issues prescribing that to you as it is an antispasmodic, not a pain drug.

tennisman Contributor

Just thought I'd add that I used mebeverine for a couple of years, it worked amazingly well in stopping the horrible spasming I used to get throughout the digestive tract. Happily I haven't needed it for months since I have been on an elimination diet, but it was the one thing that really helped. There were days I was in so much pain for days that I was close to going to hospital, and once I had that medication I never had sustained pain that bad again. My magic combination was to take buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide)to fix stomach pain and gassiness and mebeverine for the spasming and lower pain. Hope it helps, and your stupid dr should have no issues prescribing that to you as it is an antispasmodic, not a pain drug.

Mebeverine is really great :) How often did you take it ? My doctor says take it when needed , but I'm thinking of taking it 3 times a day everyone day for a few months. Buscopan also sounds like a good medicine :)

Loey Rising Star

I will keep resting :)

It's a shame the donnatal medicine doesn't work. Cool hopefully the medicine I mentioned will help :) I had really bad stomach pain tonight and 2 hours after taking the medicine my stomach calmed down a lot. Good luck at the january appointment :) Hopefully the next few weeks go quick . I have to see my doctor about my Endoscopy results in Feb. It's going to be funny as my doctor knows how much I dislike Endoscopy's ( for years after I was diagnosed with celiac disease my doctor wanted to do another Endoscopy but I refused lol ) and as another doctor arranged the test for me , I think my original doctor will be shocked I had another Endoscopy lol. Good job your son tested negative :)

Thanks again :) I also research a lot and I'm also unemployed , my dream is too find a cure for celiac disease :D Good luck with getting disability , I tried once before but the council people were useless. I know some people who have low income or who are too lazy to get a job and they get benefits easy , yet I have back problems , celiac disease , other stomach problems etc and get no help it's ridiculous lol.

Happy Christmas :)

Sorry your stomach bothered you. I also think it's a shame how difficult it is to get disability with this disease. I want to go back to the classroom and teach more than I can say but there's no way I can handle it (special ed) until I'm well.

Let me know how the test results are and have a wonderful gluten-free holiday. I bought all of our meal ingredients today for our first gluten-free Xmas. Now if only our 19 year old would stop being a scrooge (he's snarky) I'd be happy.

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Thanks so much. I'm not going to my stupid GI anymore. I have an appointment with a new GI on January 20th. He's supposed to be very good and will spend an hour or more with a patient if they need it. They also do al of the testing right there (they have a unit for it). If I mention this medication to him my husband's colleague said he'll be willing to try anything. Now I just have to get through the last of my UI and pray I can get disability. I'm in no shape to teach - especially special ed. I want to get back in the classroom more than I can say.

Wishing a happy and healthy holidays to you and your family

Loey

tennisman Contributor

Sorry your stomach bothered you. I also think it's a shame how difficult it is to get disability with this disease. I want to go back to the classroom and teach more than I can say but there's no way I can handle it (special ed) until I'm well.

Let me know how the test results are and have a wonderful gluten-free holiday. I bought all of our meal ingredients today for our first gluten-free Xmas. Now if only our 19 year old would stop being a scrooge (he's snarky) I'd be happy.

Loey

Hi Loey ,

I hope you had a great gluten free christmas , hopefully you can get disability or get back to teaching soon :)

Loey Rising Star

Hi Loey ,

I hope you had a great gluten free christmas , hopefully you can get disability or get back to teaching soon :)

I had a lovely Christmas and then got a bug. I spent a few days in bed and am starting to feel better. We're going to a New Year's Eve Party tomorrow. We just moved to a new state so it will be nice to meet our neighbors. I had a nice non gluten-free cookie platter made up (I won't even carry it, DH can) and will bring a bag of veggies to munch on during the party. How was your holiday? Are you feeling better? I've decided that 2011 is the year that we're all going to start feeling better!!!!!

Sending Holiday Hugs,

Loey

P.S. Thank you about your kind wishes!!!

Archived