This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Never Thought I Would Be Able To Do This

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

In 2002 I had given up all hope of ever being able to do anything but live in pain and continue slowing dieing. Even after diagnosis I still had little hope of ever being able to accomplish much as my brain and body were so very damaged. Everything was so hard from thinking to walking to even talking to my children. I felt trapped in my own body.

I had to quit college one semester short of my degree in 1996 due to being so very sick from undiagnosed celiac. In 2008 I tried to go back to school and finish my last semester but my brain was still not back enough and my memory was still so poor and movement was still so difficult at times that I went back for a little over a month and gave up. It was just too hard physically and mentally. To say that was demoralizing is an understatement. But I continued with physical therapy for my motion issues and never gave up on the idea that I could heal fully.

Last summer I decided to give it one last shot. I sit here now with tears in my eyes still not quite believing that I took my last exam today. I did it. I finished my duel degrees. Even if I don't ever find a job with them at least my children can say now that their Mom at least finished college. Something no one else in my family (other than my children) ever did. It was hard and I spent many many hours studying to get my brain to be able retain what I was reading but I did it. I even had a 100% average in 2 of my classes going into the exams.

For those of you who are still struggling with neuro damage keep the faith. We can recover even from severe brain damage. I wish it hadn't taken so long but I am so glad I never gave up. You shouldn't either.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

You are frickin' AWESOME!!!!

College alone is hard, going back is harder, and going back after you've been ill is almost unheard of.

You are an amazing woman and you make the world a better place just by being you.

jerseyangel Proficient

Congrats Ravenwood--you should be so proud! That's an amazing accomplishment :D

VioletBlue Contributor

Congratulations! That is terrific! The world always needs more educated people.

Salax Contributor

Congrats, now go celebrate...buy yourself something special and make an awesome dinner!!!

Rock on!!! B)

mushroom Proficient

What an inspiring example you are to us all. Absolutely amazing. Congratulations on your grit and determination.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks guys. Yea I am proud of myself and I did treat myself by going to the new Harry Potter movie. I went to the matinee and had the whole place to myself so I even got to put my feet up on the chairs in front of me. I am sooo glad I took that quote in my signature to heart and didn't give up. The hardest class was the sign language because my right side still has a 'lag time' between deciding to move and actually moving and I am right handed. Luckily the tests are receptive though. LOL.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Congratulation, Raven! As someone who got a late degree myself because of celiac health problems, I know exactly how wonderful you feel. :D

We need the little cheerleader smiley some BBs have!

thcheerleader3.gifCheer-1.gif

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Way to go!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story Raven. I still have a lot of memory issues myself. I was just getting depressed about this today that my memory is not quite good enough to go back to school yet. I also have some motility issues, but not nearly as bad as yours were/are. Your post gives me so much hope that I might continue to improve and go back.

Lisa Mentor

"...I'll try again tomorrow". What an inspiration you are. I know that you have had some difficult years. I am very happy that you have rose above it all and you can look behind you with a smile. You should be VERY proud! I am. :)

coffeetime Explorer

What a wonderful post. I know your children must be so proud of your accomplishment. I know from my own experience how difficult it can be to go back to college and take care of a family, but I can't imagine battling such major health issues as well. Congrats on finishing that last exam. Just so you know I think this board is just as proud of you, you were already so very wise in our eyes. Happy holidays ravenwoodglass.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

Congrats! Awesome! Excellent! way to go!!

tennisman Contributor

Congratulations Ravenwoodglass :) It's always great to hear success stories :)

cO-ol Explorer

Congrats! Go you. :D I'm currently one of those putting off college because I couldn't handle it (I never went in the first place), and this is inspiring to hear. I want to go one day, that's for sure. But that's fantastic!

Takala Enthusiast

Congratulations ! :D

chasbari Apprentice

Tears of joy for you! Congratulations on one incredible accomplishment. You are truly amazing!

CS

laura4669 Apprentice

WOW! Congratulations!!! Good for you!!

anabananakins Explorer

That is so awesome, congratulations to you! You are an inspiration.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I just got chills up and down my spine after reading your post, ravenwoodglass. You are such an inspiration and that is often needed here. You should put your achievement in your signature, too, to encourage others to follow you or to achieve goals of their own.

I teach at a community college and also at the graduate school level (online classes only) and it's part of my life's mission to help students achieve their goals. Online classes are a good option for some (and helpful to celiacs/others with health issues), so if anyone has questions about adult degree completion please send me a PM.

GFinDC Veteran

Congrats Ravenwoood! Quite an accomplishment for anyone really. But extra cool for you! :)

Looking for answers Contributor

You rock! Congrats! Being on this board for so long, I've always been so impressed by how much you help others, and I've learned so much from you. Come to find out you've been doing it in tandem with your recovery and school!? Remarkable.

You deserve the best...cheers to you!

Monklady123 Collaborator

Congratulations!! Good job!! I went back to school as an adult and that was before my gluten symptoms really started and still found it difficult. So I can't imagine doing it how you did. Woot! (wish I knew how to do that little cheer emoticon...)

luvs2eat Collaborator

What a great story! Major congrats to you!! Pat yourself on the back!!!

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

Congratulations! That is fantastic. I'm very happy for you. You're an inspiration. I stopped one class short of graduation and when I returned they told me my catalog year had ended and I'd have to take two semesters of new classes. As difficult a time as I was having in (and paying for) the one class I gave up, but you are giving me hope. Thank you. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks so much guys. Your well wishes and congratulations mean more to me than you can imagine. We are such a wonderful and supportive group of people. I am so happy to be a part of this 'family'. :)

Archived