Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Less Sensitive....testing?

3 posts in this topic

I have been gluten free for over 2 years. When I went gluten free I was SO sensitive to it. My family all have celiac. I never got tested, since the gluten-free diet seemed to solve all my problems and my family history was so strong.

Fast forward to now. I got glutened the other day in a big way and had little to no symptoms, which throws everything into doubt now for me.

Should I start eating gluten again and pursue testing? Do no symptoms mean I'm not celiac after all this time? What the heck is going on?

Thanks for listening...very confused now.

Ads by Google:

The choice of whether to do this is up to you. You were having symptoms, have a strong family history and going gluten free took care of the issues. False negatives with testing are all too frequent. Personally I would be thankful that your reactions are not real severe but I would not go back to a full gluten diet. You need to keep in mind that until not too long ago children were considered to outgrow celiac as after healing it can take a while for symptoms to reoccur. But eventually they do and they can attack any organ when they do.

thanks for your thoughtful response.

It seems like every story I heard from people had them getting more sensitive with time, not less....is that not universal?

I am certainly grateful that my recent glutening did not leave me on the floor like it used to, but now all I can think about is C H E A T I N G! *evil laugh*