This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Want A Big Mac Or Taco Supremes Now!

Kimbalou

Kimbalou Enthusiast

ok, I'm tired of being a celiac already!! Sometimes I just want to eat crappy fast food! Especially when it's a certain time of the month..sorry if TMI!!

Also, at work the other day there was red licorice...guess I can't have that either!! Then a co-worker said "Yeah...EVERYTHING has wheat in it!!" That did NOT help my mood!

Sometimes I think I've told too many people about this disease...but I love to talk!

Does that make any sense? Do you sometimes feel like you've told too many people and now feel like a freak or something? I just don't know what to think about it sometimes. :(

Guess I will eat some gluten-free food now and cry!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Oh, it's all still too fresh for you and you are still in grieving mode :o {{{hugs}}} It really does get easier as time goes by, and your hide gets thicker, and you stop worrying about what people think or say, because they are ignorant, and you can just say "These people know nothing" and walk away.

Can you find a gluten free treat you especially like, and reserve this treat for Big Mac and Taco Supreme moments?? And say Haha, gluten, I beat you!!! :lol: Just think, all the BAD food has gluten in it. Not that all food without gluten is good, but... you are more likely to eat bad food with gluten. Think doughnuts and shudder, think rat poison, imagine yourself ballooning to 400 lbs, do whatever it takes to make gluten undesirable in your mind - you will feel better. I almost feel like barfing when I see a big ole mess of gluten :lol:

Monklady123 Collaborator

I was also going to suggest making a list of things you can eat for when you get that "big mac attack". And I don't mean apples or bananas. ;) Some of my favorites are:

-- Snickers bar

-- potato chips

-- corn chips and cheese dip

-- kinninnick (or however you spell it) chocolate donuts (in the frozen section)

-- Betty Crocker chocolate cake with chocolate icing (or any cake...I just picked Betty Crocker because it's a mix and I hate to cook)

If it's more of a "protein" junk food that you want then what about making your own "pizza". Sometimes I buy the gluten-free crusts from Whole Foods, but other times I just use a corn tortilla. Sauce, cheese, pepperoni/sausage. yumm...

Yeah, not exactly the same as the big mac. Plus the advantage of fast food is that we don't have to cook it! sigh.. I'm still new at this and still mourning the things I can't eat so maybe I'm not the best one to give advice. :P

missy'smom Collaborator

There is a Big Mac sauce recipe in the recipe forum. Try typing somethig like that in the search box.

Emilushka Contributor

You can eat a lot of fast food ... just not the buns! Check the allergen lists. We went to Burger King today, in fact. I had a tasty Whopper with 2 slices of bacon and fries. Horrible for me and super tasty!

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

You can eat a lot of fast food ... just not the buns! Check the allergen lists. We went to Burger King today, in fact. I had a tasty Whopper with 2 slices of bacon and fries. Horrible for me and super tasty!

*gasp* Does Whopper sauce contain gluten? I've been craving a Whopper 24 hours a day for 14 months now and I'm afraid I may die of sadness at the thought of never having one again...and no, chocolate, Snickers, chips, or any other gluten free snack will quell my Whopper cravings :P You have NO idea how bad I want one!

Emilushka Contributor

*gasp* Does Whopper sauce contain gluten? I've been craving a Whopper 24 hours a day for 14 months now and I'm afraid I may die of sadness at the thought of never having one again...and no, chocolate, Snickers, chips, or any other gluten free snack will quell my Whopper cravings :P You have NO idea how bad I want one!

Whopper sauce does have gluten. See this list for McD's specifically.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Whopper sauce does have gluten. See this list for McD's specifically.

Where do you find that Whopper sauce has gluten in it? I checked their allergen list and it said their mayo does not have gluten...does the Whopper have a different kind of mayo? I really need to find a good recipe for it if it's not safe :)

Monklady123 Collaborator

Whoppers are made by Burger King, but that ingredients list is for McDonald's. McD's Big Mac sauce does contain gluten, but I don't know about the Whopper sauce. I found nutritional info for the Whopper which says it contains wheat but that could be just for the bun. The ingredients don't actually show a whopper "sauce", just mayo.

Whoppers are made by Burger King, but that ingredients list is for McDonald's. McD's Big Mac sauce does contain gluten, but I don't know about the Whopper sauce. I found nutritional info for the Whopper which says it contains wheat but that could be just for the bun. The ingredients don't actually show a whopper "sauce", just mayo.

Yep, I see that now. I guess I'll have to contact corporate at Burger King to verify if their "creamy mayonnaise" contains gluten or not...I was never a McDonald's girl anyway :P I've always been smitten with BK.

Emilushka Contributor

Goodness. You are so right. I ... need to learn which fast food joint I am eating in and what their signature burger is! Sheesh.

The mayo at Burger King is gluten-free. I've checked that and eaten there many times without being glutened. The key thing is to double-check the fry oil and ask them to change gloves before making your order. They've always been phenomenally nice to me about the whole thing.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Goodness. You are so right. I ... need to learn which fast food joint I am eating in and what their signature burger is! Sheesh.

Lol... and what does it say about my fast food habits that I knew immediately which was which? :lol: At least, prior to celiac. I've only been gluten-free since the summer and I've been afraid to eat any fast food stuff except for french fries from the Wendy's across the street from my church, because I know they have a dedicated fryer for the fries. So when we have meetings after church I get a coke and french fries for my treat, and bring something else from home.

cassP Contributor

oh i totally understand... past week ive been feeling like saying: "oh F it"- and just go get a FILET O' FISH !!!!!!!!

ive been craving it so bad these days, i can taste it completely.

:(

Emilushka Contributor

The relevant BK version of ingredients and allergens: Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star

I have never had a Big Mac nor have I been tempted to eat one. Never had Taco Supremes either but suspect I wouldn't like them because they just sound like they would have sour cream and guacamole on them and I don't like those.

I have never been much of a fast food fan. But we did get food at Wendy's the other day because I wanted to try their new French Fries. They're good! And they may or may not be gluten-free at your Wendy's. They are in a dedicated fryer at mine. I only had a couple. Just wanted to taste them. Daughter had the rest and also a hamgurger patty and mandarin oranges. The chili and baked potato are also gluten-free.

We do sometimes eat at Taco Time (they are local) or Taco Del Mar (maybe also local). Both have bowls that are gluten-free.

Maybe you could make something at home? I buy Quick N'Eat hamburger patties. 1 minute in the microwave. I just eat mine piled with veggies. I never miss the bun.

Judy3 Contributor

ok, I'm tired of being a celiac already!! Sometimes I just want to eat crappy fast food! Especially when it's a certain time of the month..sorry if TMI!!

Also, at work the other day there was red licorice...guess I can't have that either!! Then a co-worker said "Yeah...EVERYTHING has wheat in it!!" That did NOT help my mood!

Sometimes I think I've told too many people about this disease...but I love to talk!

Does that make any sense? Do you sometimes feel like you've told too many people and now feel like a freak or something? I just don't know what to think about it sometimes. :(

Guess I will eat some gluten-free food now and cry!!

I'm right there with ya sista and a newbie to boot. I know how you feel. When I get cravings for 'not so wholesome' food I go mexican. Just about everything at our local one is made with corn and if it's not it says so on the menu. I'm not talking Taco Bell either, this is a regular mexican restaurant not a chain. Tonight I had chips and bean dip, chile verde (Pork cooked in green sauce)with corn tortillas, guacamole, tomatoes and sour cream etc... and I'm so full right now that I want to burst. It's the one 'cuisine' I've found that is ok. I know some have dairy issues but aside from that it's ok. Find a local mexican restaurant that uses fresh ingredients to make their food and you'll have at least one thing that's not 'freakish' to fall back on!!!

Just my little lesson learned in the last 6 weeks!! ;)

Kimbalou Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I resisted the urge! I found a good gluten-free chocolate chip/Peanut butter cookie recipe...so good. I know fast food is bad for you, I hope I lose some weight on my new diet!!

Thanks for the tips!

BTW...here is the recipe if anyone wants something quick, sweet and easy!!

1 c peanut butter

1 c brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 egg

1/2 c choc chips

Bake at 350 for 10 min. YUMMM!!!

I am so glad I also found Udi's cheaper at Safeway!

kayo Explorer

For your taco cravings try Chipotle. Their food is fabulous, fresh and all gluten free except for the wheat tortillas. I go at least twice a month and get a burrito bowl (no tortilla) or crunchy tacos. And now they recognize me so when I get up to the counter they change their gloves!

For burger and fries cravings try Five Guys, McD's or BK and just go bunless. Make your own whopper/big mac sauce and bring it with you. I buy those little condiment cups with lids so I can bring things with me like salad dressing, mayo (I use soy free), hummus, salsa, etc.

For the person who mentioned filet o fish (my McD's preference too) there's a frozen gluten free breaded fish at Whole Foods made by Starfish that makes an awesome f.o.f substitute. They make breaded halibut, cod and haddock. I've tried all three and they're fantastic.

Of course you can make all these things at home but the appeal of fast food is that it's fast and provides immediate gratification. Once you've been gluten-free for a while, say maybe over a year, that need for immediate gratification goes away.

You can do it!

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

The best thing you can do is to go to the restaurant forum on here and get online and find out what you can eat at different fast food places. Print up lists to keep in your car in a little binder or make a list on your phone if you have a smartphone. If you find things you can eat, it will help alot when you want things you can't have.

It will get better. There will come a time when you really don't crave gluten anymore. I get so deathly ill I spend my life avoiding gluten at all costs. I posted a thread about my nightmare coming true when the waiter at Outback brought me a gluten piece of cake instead of the gluten free chocolate brownie and insisted it was the gluten free dessert option. I ate half that thing and was sick as a dog. And ya know what? It tasted great but it was NOT such a thrill. I can make an incredible gluten free chocolate cake that I enjoy every bit as much as that without the 45 minutes of vomiting to accompany it.

Find a way to have your Big Mac. Get a Kinnikinnick hamburger bun and get it ready. Make that Big mac sauce at home. Go to McD's and order two hamburger patties with shredded lettuce and then create your own with the bun and your sauce. Pain the ass? Yes. but at least you can make it work.

Kimbalou Enthusiast

Thank you for the ideas everyone. I know I feel better on the diet, so I know it's the right thing to do. Tonight I went to a potluck Christmas party at my kung fu school and it went really well! There was actually a rice dish labeled "gluten free and vegetarian"...needless to say I ate a lot of that since everything else looked like I should stay away from it! Then there was a great flourless chocolate cake made by a mom who has a daughter who is gluten intolerant. Then I had fruit and veggies. I am full, and the food was good. I really didn't feel like an oddball.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Thank you for the ideas everyone. I know I feel better on the diet, so I know it's the right thing to do. Tonight I went to a potluck Christmas party at my kung fu school and it went really well! There was actually a rice dish labeled "gluten free and vegetarian"...needless to say I ate a lot of that since everything else looked like I should stay away from it! Then there was a great flourless chocolate cake made by a mom who has a daughter who is gluten intolerant. Then I had fruit and veggies. I am full, and the food was good. I really didn't feel like an oddball.

it always feels so good to have a success like that!

rockectman Rookie

Get the whopper with the lettuce wrapped around it. You still take a chance with the grill being contaminated though.

jenngolightly Contributor

Taco Bell secret... you can buy their mild sauce at the grocery store - it's gluten free! I love tacos and make them at home, but their not the same at TB. Using their sauce helps a lot!

(I don't know if their sauce from the restaurant is gluten free)

polarbearscooby Explorer

Oh My Gosh, I feel your pain. Today ALL I wanted was a Double Cheese Burger, a large fry, and a 50 piece nugget....and like you it's hard to squash that feeling during certain times... I wanted it SOOOOOOOOOOO bad, and it didn't help my Dad had done the drive thru and gotten some McNuggets...I seriously wanted to cry. I've tried everything, eating a snack, having special snakes, and NOTHING can kill the craving! I think McDonald's is poisoned so that women everywhere feel the NEED to eat it. *I hate life right now*

Kimbalou Enthusiast

Oh My Gosh, I feel your pain. Today ALL I wanted was a Double Cheese Burger, a large fry, and a 50 piece nugget....and like you it's hard to squash that feeling during certain times... I wanted it SOOOOOOOOOOO bad, and it didn't help my Dad had done the drive thru and gotten some McNuggets...I seriously wanted to cry. I've tried everything, eating a snack, having special snakes, and NOTHING can kill the craving! I think McDonald's is poisoned so that women everywhere feel the NEED to eat it. *I hate life right now*

LOL: Having special "snakes"!! I know you meant snacks, but hey I thought maybe some special snakes might have ideas for the cravings, or if you ate special snakes...that mih help!! thanks for the laugh

Archived