8 replies to this topic

#1 norahsmommy

norahsmommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

can anyone help me out by listing the spices you have found to be gluten free and which are not? Some of my spices I have verified like my mrs. dash. But others I am not sure about.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

I have never in my ten+ years found a spice which had gluten in it.

Seasoning mixes (including such things as curry powder and chili powder) with gluten are out there. But spices are usually single-ingredient products containing only the named spice. When spices appears in an ingredient list, it can not hide any grain product whether a gluten grain or not.

Mrs. Dash is a seasoning mix, not a spice. AFAIK, their products are all gluten-free. Some do contain non-spice ingredients such as tomato, lemon and onion.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

Nor I.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

McCormick's single ingredient spices are all safe. Here's some recent info on Mccormicks: http://www.gfreefood...es-gluten-free/
The main thing to think about is if you have old spices in your cabinet and have ever in the past dipped a measuring spoon in them that has been coated with flour dust from using it on the flour before measuring the spice, then the spice may be cc'd. The same thing goes if you have an old container of sugar and ever used the same measuring cups while baking, or just had the sugar container open while you measuered flour--flour dust can go up in the air and then settle in things.

While I have not seen any single spices and herbs with gluten I have seen a few dried herbs that say they "may contain wheat" or are "manufactured in a facility with wheat". In most cases this a CYA statement from the company and may not be a problem. I do grow a few of my own herbs however and dry them. It's so nice to have fresh herbs on hand to make gluten free foods tasty. Not to mention I save money by growing/drying them myself.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

1. Spice mixtures can sometimes contain gluten - you know, like 'taco seasoning' or 'poultry seasoning' type of things. So those you want to check on.

2. The majority of spices have no gluten ingredients added, so if that's usually good for you, you're golden. However, the majority of spices are processed in the same facilities that are making the spice mixtures that DO contain gluten, so they can get CC. That seems to be more of a hit or miss type of thing, though. I've been hit often enough that I started growing my own herbs. However, my father (less sensitive) has never had a problem with pure spices ever, that I know of.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

1. Spice mixtures can sometimes contain gluten - you know, like 'taco seasoning' or 'poultry seasoning' type of things. So those you want to check on.

As I said, "seasoning" can contain hidden gluten. "Spices" can not. Read the ingredients carefully.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:01 AM

Generally speaking the worry about seasonings is overblown. Yes, a handful of seasoning blends (NOT spices, as Peter points out) do have gluten, but at least in the U.S. the gluten always comes from wheat and it's always listed.

richard

#8 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

As I said, "seasoning" can contain hidden gluten. "Spices" can not. Read the ingredients carefully.

But it's not the ingredients that are the problem with pure spices, it's the CC that's a potential issue. So while reading the ingredient list is useful in finding out ingredients, not so much on the CC front.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

But it's not the ingredients that are the problem with pure spices, it's the CC that's a potential issue.

Exactly!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: