6 replies to this topic

#1 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:35 PM

I bought the new Fitness magazine because someone here posted that it contained an article about celiac disease. It did--

I had a problem with how negative the article ended. The woman whines that she can't go out to eat among other complaints. Yes, she's happy that her symptoms are lessened, but you're left feeling that her life is barely worth living due to the social implications of celiac disease. I don't like it when celiac disease is portrayed as such a negative diagnosis. I'm fond of telling all who find out we have this disease in our family that it's an autoimmune disease and then list all of the top know auto immune diseases to make them see how FORTUNATE we are to have a kid with celiac disease. I'm not being a Pollyanna either here. I know it's tough initially. I know it's a shock to the dynamics of your daily life. We discovered our 3 year old had it, so I might as well have been the one with it. It was essentially my responsibility. I don't want to undermine the initial shock of the diagnosis--but I don't want to pretend that celiac disease is the big downer the article painted it as. It's simply NOT that bad. And once you find your favorite foods, get into a comfortable rhythm of living with it...it's fine.
I believe in God.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 watkinson

watkinson

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

Hi jnkmnky,

All I can say is "RIGHT ON!!!"

I get so tired of all the negatism <_< I feel lucky that if I have to have an autoimmune disease that it's celiacs, one that we can easily (yes I said easily) manage. Iv'e been yelled at on this board before, for saying that it was easy, but I truly believe that it is. :) And why are they always talking about these so called "negative social implications"? I've never had anything negative happen socially. The disease is what you make it! You go!!!!

Wendy :)

#3 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

I feel that negative publicity about celiac disease could cause people to put off being tested. Who wants to find out they have an awful, life-altering disease?
I believe in God.

#4 megzmc3611

megzmc3611

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:57 PM

I was actually pretty happy to see the article...
I know several of my friends read that magazine and will read about someone else who has celiac and about the dire need for strictness on the gluten-free diet. They will finally see that I am not a crazy woman making all this stuff up! :)
Megan
Diagnosed Celiac in Feb 2004
Boston, MA

#5 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:36 PM

I get the "see I'm not crazy" benefit. But I feel that a bit of 'it ain't so bad' would balance the sentiments expressed in the article.
I believe in God.

#6 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

Jnkmnky-- I like the new avatar :) (I recognize him).

#7 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:09 PM

celiac3270-- Thanks! I laugh every time I see it. :lol:
I believe in God.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: