This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Autism

Piper

Piper Newbie

I am new to this forum and I am trying to find info on any relation between Celiac and Autism, if anyone knows or knows where I can find it?

I was curious to know if someone has Celiac and they have offspring what can they potentially pass on to their children?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

The book Wheat Free Worry Free by Danna Korn talks a bit about celiac and Autism. I believe studies have found that Autistc individuals do better on a gluten free and casein free diet.

I was curious to know if someone has Celiac and they have offspring what can they potentially pass on to their children?
They could pass on the celiac gene which may or may not be active or "on" at birth. I believe that people are usually born with the gene "off" and an environmental stressor "triggors" the gene on.
Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

I've seen some helpful info here.

mommida Enthusiast

This is a little bit of a stretch, but I believe in looking to all sources of information and considering the source of where it came from. I think Dr. Andrew Wakefield's study on the MMR vaccine and autism is very interesting and it is also very contoversial. The described infammatory bowel disease connection to Autism is markedly similar to Celiac. His study will probably never be run again, it nearly ruined his career, and no one will risk that or find funding.

I'm trying to search through the trillion or so new articles on this. The first one that I found, www.mercola.com does have a few articles on autism+ gluten free casein free+ and Wakefield.

Laura

jenvan Collaborator

ck out this site:

Open Original Shared Link

Piper Newbie

I am still a bit confused as all the links seem to give information for children and adults who have autism and the corelation between gluten in their diet, but I can't find any information that shows that if a parent has Celiac they can have a high chance of having an autisic child. So sorry if I have rambled, but I heard that this was possible...

mommida Enthusiast

I have heard that a Celiac parent is supposed to have a higher chance of having a down's syndrome child.

The Autism spectrum is so wide. There are so many different ranges of functioning. Different theories of origin, diagnoses, and treatment. That is why I thought of the Wakefield study and the malabsorbtion issues described in the report. They do specifically mention adult Celiac as well as a "genetic predispistion". (sorry for spelling)

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Hmmm, I don't about being a Celiac increasing your chances of having an child with autism. My husband is getting into the whole autism-mercury/vaccine connection research. That is very interesting. Rolling Stone just had a huge article about it...

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I've only heard that a gluten free diet can soften the severity of some of the autistic symptoms. I've looked into it a bit for a friend. What I read suggested that a gluten free diet reduces the amount of peptides that are released into the blood. Apparently these peptides affect the brain when they cross the Brain/blood barrier. (Hopefully, I actually know what I'm talking about here!).

In anycase, I think the idea that a celiac person is more likely to bear autistic children is morbid and not based on anything known to medicine at this point. It's an easy enough question to answer, I suppose. Round up all the autistic kids and test their parents for celiac disease. Since a gluten free diet can lessen some symptoms of autism, then I guess it makes sense that people with celiac disease are the ones responsible for pumping out autistic kids. :blink: The more I think about this idea, the angrier I get. Don't they suggest a casien free diet for autistic people too? YES, they do. So, by the original poster's logic----those with casien allergies must also be passing on the autism to their kids.

Frankly, I think this theory is far-fetched.

Piper Newbie

I only posted this question as this is what I have heard. I don't have Celiac, but husband was diagnosed with Celiac when he was approx. 4 years old, he is now 28 with no symptoms for over 16 years. This is the information I have heard, and I figured all the people on this board would be able to help me weed out the false information and point me in the right direction. My intention was never to be morbid or to job to any assumptions. Thank you all very much for clearing up mis-conceptions that people who do not have Celiac are getting fed from the media.

mommida Enthusiast

Don't get upset. Just another theory. I posted earlier this is highly controversial, but these things were mentioned in this article (Wakefield study). if this is what has sparked this person's interest for research, then that is the article I know of.

I personally am not saying there is any link Celiac to autism.

The Rolling Stone article is starting a lot of discussions on the vaccine topic. Is there a link between thimerisol in vaccines and Autism? The MMR vaccine to my knowledge does not contain thimerisol.

This topic is a whole can of worms because further study is needed. There would be no controversy, if we had the full scientific proof.

The original poster's question was not morbid in my opinion. The rule here is ask the question, and we look for the answer. We are here to help each other.

Laura

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You've heard that people with celiac disease have a higher incidence of having autistic kids? Where? Who told you this? A doctor? Where's a study indicating any research about this particular link between celiac disease and autism. - The study trying to see if celiac disease is a cause of, or increases the risk of developing autism- Post a link. I'd love to see the justification for research money being spent to identify a link.

I think you're blowing smoke*** because you don't want to have a baby right now. No one here's going to tell you to carefully weigh having a baby because the chances of having an autistic child are too high. But you should know that if your husband has celiac disease, your child should be tested whether you see symptoms or not.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Oh Piper---

I'd also like to see all this misinformation the media's been feeding you. Do you have a link to any of the misinformation you've seen in the media? Specifically the whole celiac disease=autistic kids link??? You know, big vague statements with nothing to back them up serve as MISINFORMATION.

mommida Enthusiast

A question, is a question. I think the answer has been given, no link that we know of. I provided a link to where this question could have sprouted from.

Some person who has no knowledge of Celiac disease was probably butting into this girl's business, telling her bits and pieces they could remember out of last weeks news articles. Trying "to be helpfull".

Jnkmnky has made the point that a child of a Celiac parent should be screened. The gluten free casein free diet is recommended for Autistic individuals because of the leaky gut/ bowel inflammation. I suggest editing the rest of the post.

Laura

LUAP Newbie

Hey piper

Like jenvan told you, the gfcfdiet.com is a verry good site.

Whatever you read, keep in mind that there is a common factor between celiac disease and Autism. The candida albican is suspected to be the trigger in both.

As you know, gluten peptid is binding candida to our tissues, leading to a candida albican problem. That’s the idea behind proposing to autistic people to go on the gluten free diet.

NOW, what is Interesting is the casein thing. IS IT GOOD OR BAD FOR GENERAL POPULATION? Does someone have something on it?

The genetic for the both disease is not quite clear.

For celiac disease; According to doctor fasano, 30% of the population has the HLA. Is it relevant?

AUTISM; In Great Britain, the number of case are rising…Population worry about the fact that there is traces of brain medication in their tap water.

The answer on passing a disease to your child; the best way is still what you put on his/her plate. Think about diabetes for example. A disease where the number are rising to, and where the bread yeast saccaromyces cerevisiae as well as sugar is suspected. Saccaromyce cerevisiae and candida have both a common ancestor. They say candida live in hot blood mamalian while saccaromyce cerevisiae live in our fruits and veggies. They both can be safe as well as virulent to. To be virrulent, they need carbs and few peptid protein such as gluten.

:ph34r:

Carriefaith Enthusiast
but I can't find any information that shows that if a parent has Celiac they can have a high chance of having an autisic child.

I personally don't think that celiacs have a higher chance of having autistic children. Celiac disease is an auto-immune disorder and there is a specific gene for celiac disease that can be passed on to children. I believe that other auto-immune diseases such as lupus, and fibromalygia are closely linked to the celiac gene. Therefore, an individual with celiac may also have a higher chance of passing other auto-immune diseases closely linked to the celiac gene to their childen. My family is a good example, My grandmother has celiac, her daughter (my mom) is currently showing signs of lupus or fibromalygia (see has been tested for celiac 2x and got a negative), and I have celiac.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

I have never heard that you're more likely as a coeliac to have a child with Down's Syndrome!!

I knew that Down's are more likely to get celiac disease.

My hubbies a coeliac and one of our son's has Downs.He is now 12 yrs old.

Does anyone have any links to this claim?Very interesting.....

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I have never heard that you're more likely as a coeliac to have a child with Down's Syndrome!!
I don't think that is true. I think it was mixed up in that people with Down Syndrome have a higher chance of having celiac disease.
Jnkmnky Collaborator

"mis-conceptions that people who do not have Celiac are getting fed from the media."

"I only posted this question as this is what I have heard. "

"can't find any information that shows that if a parent has Celiac they can have a high chance of having an autisic child. So sorry if I have rambled, but I heard that this was possible... "

If she's listening to people on the street then asking for verification, fine. But say so. Her 'what I've heard' statements imply a legitimate *source. Her "media" source is unverified. Autism, for the unaware, is a HUGE deal. To blithely suggest it's root cause 'as you've heard it told', is celiac disease, is careless-at best.

Piper Newbie

Jnkmnky, I am sorry that you feel offended in any way. My intention was to gather information not to start a debate. My question has been answered and I would like to thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post. Jnkmnky, I do not feel that I need to prove where I heard my information from and from who. I was asking a questions as I have already mentioned before I do not have Celiac and for the people who do not have Celiac this is not something that we all know about and hear about. If we were talking about Cancer, we would all have lots of information about it with most of it being misrepresented. I was attempting to educate myself and I thought that going to the source would be the best place to do so. I would also like to mention that you insinuating many things in your posts such as I don't want to have a baby now and that is why I am asking , you are absolutly wrong. Please do not assume anything or make any remarks without asking me and making it personal. I was as I have started out saying that I heard this and would like to know if this is correct and if I could be pointed in the correct direction for informtation. I am not sure if you yourself has Celiac, but it seems that you have been exposed to more information than I have, please do not assume that the rest of the world has.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Okay, thanks Carrie,didn't sound right.

BTW,it seems as though the prophecy of Down's more likely to get celiac disease is happening.

Although he scored a 'borderline' result on the tTg,docs think he may have Iga deficiency which could show a false positive(I think!?)

He has all the symptoms,Loose frequent stools,swinging to chronic constipation,bloated tum.Has always refused to eat bread(tummy hurt!)

Stupid thing is,it wasn't until his Dad got dx that I realised that he had all the symptoms(Doh!).We always thought that he has a sensitive stomach!

So we are waiting on the total serum Iga-although (pardon the pun)I've got a gut feeling he's got it(Mum's intuition)Even if this test comes back negative,I'm pretty sure it's a case of 'if not now,when' scenario.

Luckily I've struck gold in that his paediatrician has said that if the latest bloods are neg,she'll test him again in a year,but if the symptoms get worse,she will refer him to a paediatric gastro for biopsy.

Also Ive recently found out I have a 'wheat sensitivity'(headaches,fatigue,aches and dreadful flare up of ezcema when I eat bread,but okay with rye)-so I think the odds are stacked against my little man!!

Piper Newbie
"mis-conceptions that people who do not have Celiac are getting fed from the media."

"I only posted this question as this is what I have heard. "

"can't find any information that shows that if a parent has Celiac they can have a high chance of having an autisic child. So sorry if I have rambled, but I heard that this was possible... "

If she's listening to people on the street then asking for verification, fine. But say so. Her 'what I've heard' statements imply a legitimate *source. Her "media" source is unverified. Autism, for the unaware, is a HUGE deal. To blithely suggest it's root cause 'as you've heard it told', is celiac disease, is careless-at best.

Jnkmnky regarding your quote below, I believe that you are jumping to assumptions. I came onto this board to find answers and to be pointed in the right direction, not to be insulted. Please keep you insults to yourself. How is a person who does not know anything about Celiac suppose to find answers if they can't come out and ask. If you want people to know the facts about Celiac, please share them , but do not feel free to offer them a helping of sarcasm and animosity towards them because they don't have all the facts. Also, I am as I have said from the start a person who does not have Celiac.

If she's listening to people on the street then asking for verification, fine.  But say so.  Her 'what I've heard' statements imply a legitimate *source.  Her "media" source is unverified.  Autism, for the unaware, is a HUGE deal.  To blithely suggest it's root cause 'as you've heard it told', is celiac disease, is careless-at best.
mommida Enthusiast

The supposed connection to Down's (and Type 1 diabetes, any other autoimmune disorder, down syndrome, cystic fibrosis, chronic active hepatitis, scleroderma, sjogren syndrome, raynaud syndrome, addison'disease, myasthenia gravis, rheumatoid arthritis epilepsy or cerebal calcifications) these conditions show a higher rate for having Celiac.

i.e. Down's syndrome has an incidence of Celiac ranging between 5 and 16 percent.

(Other articles state that genetic marker HLA is the connection.)

As for the hypothesis that there is a possible link BUT NO DIRECT LINKS TO CELIAC and the following disorders... autism, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, MS, lactose intolerance, fibromyalgia, Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura

This information is from Page 154 of Kids with Celiac Disease by Danna Korn, except for the mention of other articles.

So yes this information is out there. If you don't think Danna Korn is credible, than you better start doing the public speaking engagments and start writing the books on Celiac Disease.

Laura

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Piper,

How can you be married to a man with celiac disease and 'know nothing' about it? Give me a break. Asking you to list your sources isn't insulting you. If you have a question, ask away. But don't try to legitimize some supposed connection between celiac disease and autism with empty phrases like 'I've heard' and 'media misconceptions' as if you've been a hapless victim of poor reporting. It's clear you took some random comment made by an acquaintence and decided to ask for verification with a tone that suggested you came across this idea from a more legitimate source.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Laura,

Your quote from Danna Korn's book doesn't make Piper's point. I too, have seen celiac disease and autism mentioned in the same sentence. What you posted doesn't suggest that a celiac disease parent has an increased chance of bearing autistic children. And I'd wager Danna Korn wasn't the source Piper won't name.

Archived