1 reply to this topic

#1 Swimmr

Swimmr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:59 AM

So I was thinking that I'd started a thread one day being extremely frustrated about an all purpose gluten free flour to use with EVERYthing instead of using crazy mixtures. My mother is the experimental one. I'm too impatient and hate failing at cooking, so after several fails I take another trip to my whole foods market in town and start talking to the owner...as I usually do. She's so helpful. I grab a bag of Pamela's as it's the only flour I've liked that can be used for almost anything. They have a baking flour and a bread flour. I was walking down the isle and she and start chit-chatting and she picks up a bag of Domata flour. She says to me, "Try this and if you don't like it after a few recipes, just bring it back...as with anything. You're one of our most frequent customers and we don't want you getting stuck with a product you don't like. I wouldn't recommend it to you if I thought you wouldn't be satisfied."

I said "ok" and left for home.

I've made some amazing chocolate chip cookies and banana bread. The chocolate chip cookie dough tasted AND felt like your normal gluten-filled cookie dough! The banana bread rose DOUBLE it's size in the oven and was just amazing once it had finally cooled.

The best thing? I've been using old Betty Crocker recipes...the ones from a 1979 edition. My mom's old one. Domata is cup for cup of regular flour. It sort of has me questioning what to do with all these crazy gluten free recipes now LOL

The flour is awesome ya'll...no joke...and no substituting this for this or adding this for rise and this for chewiness...or that for this. It's just cup for cup and tastes really really awesome.

Domata living flour. Woohoo, I'm a happy girl now :)
-Self-diagnosed gluten/wheat intolerance 2007. Negative (basic) blood test for celiac disease March 2009.
-Diagnosed positive for Celiac 5/11/2010!!
-Vitamin D low (last year was deficient), Iodine low, Protein S low. Balance/dizziness not related to Celiac.
-Elimination diet 11-4-2009 and ended 02-28-2010. Tolerating dairy again. Highly intolerant to soy, sensitive to green peas and corn kernels.
"Oh CRAP! Are you SERIOUS??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:50 AM

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to look for that next time I'm in Whole Foods. Have never seen that brand.

I copied the ingredients from their website:
All Purpose Flour
Rice Flour, Corn Starch, Tapioca Dextrin, Xanthan Gum * Rice Extract

All of the above ingredients are Gluten Free & Casein Free and blended masterfully, producing the worlds finest alternative to wheat, barley, rye, and oat flours.

* Xanthan Gum replaces the lack of Gluten and provides structure and elasticity to the flour.

Thanks again :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: