This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free, But Now Also Dairy, Soy, Egg, Caffeine Free?!

GFshay

GFshay Apprentice

So I finally sucked it up and started taking common problem foods out of my already-gluten free diet about 3 weeks ago. I cut out dairy, soy, and sort of by accident realized I needed to stop eggs and coffee (and now black tea too!!?). I've been making most of my food and having plenty of meat, nuts, veggies (cooked, mostly, since raw can be too tough on me), rice and corn. But I'm dying to eat some chocolate candy for the holidays, or to even just have a nice cup of coffee on a rainy day.

I'm feeling TONS better, so it's been worth it for me. But recently, every time I try a bit of one of my no-no foods, I pay for it for a few hours or even days. I feel like my food options are narrowing rapidly and I'm a bit worried that going too simple might make me get hyper-sensitive. I do have a good nutritionist and hope she might have suggestions next time I see her.

So for you experts out there who also went through lots of sensitivities, did you find they got any better over time? I keep telling myself "it's temporary" to have to cut out the additional foods beyond gluten, but I worry about what timeline I'm looking at. Should I just keep at it like this for 6 months, or should I keep testing myself?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

So I finally sucked it up and started taking common problem foods out of my already-gluten free diet about 3 weeks ago. I cut out dairy, soy, and sort of by accident realized I needed to stop eggs and coffee (and now black tea too!!?). I've been making most of my food and having plenty of meat, nuts, veggies (cooked, mostly, since raw can be too tough on me), rice and corn. But I'm dying to eat some chocolate candy for the holidays, or to even just have a nice cup of coffee on a rainy day.

I'm feeling TONS better, so it's been worth it for me. But recently, every time I try a bit of one of my no-no foods, I pay for it for a few hours or even days. I feel like my food options are narrowing rapidly and I'm a bit worried that going too simple might make me get hyper-sensitive. I do have a good nutritionist and hope she might have suggestions next time I see her.

So for you experts out there who also went through lots of sensitivities, did you find they got any better over time? I keep telling myself "it's temporary" to have to cut out the additional foods beyond gluten, but I worry about what timeline I'm looking at. Should I just keep at it like this for 6 months, or should I keep testing myself?

My 7 food restrictions weren't 'sensitivities' that improved with time. I had IgG and IgA mediated reaction diagnosed (by ELISA test) allergies (or intolerances if you're in that camp), in addition to gluten intolerance. I noticed with every diagnosed allergen, that the longer I abstained from that food (or ingredient) the more intense and longer lasting my reactions to accidental consumption are. Obviously my body does NOT forget how to make antibodies to those foods, when I stop eating those. So, for me, abstaining from those foods/ingredients is a lifelong commitment.

However, I no longer have that excruciating gut pain, gas and bloating, which I experienced after eating those allergens. Although I had to resolve many more gut and immunological related problems (like 8 gastro infections in 4 years, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, anemia, hypochloridia and low white blood cells), I finally feel great after eating meals and all day long. So abstaining from my diagnosed allergens was just the first step in a long journey back to health.

Takala Enthusiast

Since you just started this gluten free routine, relatively speaking, you may be just okay with cutting out the gluten and soy in the future. And maybe the eggs.

I was really strict at first (like grainless ) and was able to add in a lot of things as I healed up, but it took a while.

Sometimes I read a list, and think to myself, "Oh My I Could Never Stand That," and then realize it's less restrictive than what I do already.

GFinDC Veteran

I used to have a worse reaction to dairy than I do now. But I still react to it so I don't eat it. My other intolerances haven't changed that I know of. Not really sure at this point if they ever will. I have read posts from other people that their intolerances reduced over time though, or even went away. So it just shows that we are all individuals and our results are individual also. You could be like me or you could be like them or you could be like you. Being like you is what you need to learn about. So, perhaps try one of them after 6 months to a year and see if it has changed? Since it is a time related change it would be good to write down your symptoms now and then when you try the food again so you can compare notes. It's sort of like spying on yourself, to find out what you are really like, food intolerance wise. :)

julandjo Explorer

This is the question burning in my mind 24/7. If you look at my signature, you'll see that I'm extremely restricted. If I'm even CC'd by one of my no-no foods I pay for it, sometimes for days. I've been on this level of restriction for 5 months now. I do feel much better physically, but emotionally I'm getting worn down. This diet will not be sustainable long-term (or at least that's what I'm letting myself believe right now). I pray that with more time I'll heal enough and I'll get some of these foods back.

The only allergy testing I've had done was the skin prick test, which was negative for anything. So my hope is that it's just an overly damaged gut reacting to almost anything I put in it. Who knows if that's what's really going on, but it's what I have to believe to stay sane! So I have no answers for you, but I can absolutely commiserate with your situation. (((hugs)))

jenngolightly Contributor

I feel for you. I cut out sugar, dairy, soy, corn, all grains, and starchy veggies on May 20th. It's been 7 months and I'm giving myself 1 year before I start adding things back in. I've never felt so good in my whole life so I'm not really looking forward to adding things in - I'm afraid I'll feel like crap again. :-)

But, this diet is so restrictive. I'm also allergic to nuts, so it's hard to find "snack" food.

I follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and there's lots of info on the Internet if you do a search. It helped me because there's a plan and support network available for people who want to do this extreme elimination diet. Again - I feel fantastic, but pretty deprived. I can't wait to eat chocolate again.

I keep telling myself "1 year. 1 year. 1 year"

Archived