6 replies to this topic

#1 Braunson's-mom

Braunson's-mom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

My youngest daughter who isn't gluten-free got some Bugles original. I was reading the ingredients and I said "they dont have wheat in them anymore". But the futher I was reading down on the bag it said may contain wheat and milk.

Here are the ingredients:
Degermed yellow corn meal
Coconut Oil
Sugar
Salt
Baking Soda
Freshness preserved by BHT

So what am I missing where is the Wheat and Milk. Could it be a cross contamination issue or do they process Bugles on a wheat line. Could you pleas weigh in on this. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

On the General Mills website it lists wheat flour & non- fat milk as ingredients of plain Bugles. Then says " contains milk and wheat". Tried to copy it but it didn't work.

http://www.generalmi...iginal-150.ashx

I saw on your other post about KS doctor. I'm in KS, too. KC area.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

My guess is that they are processed on the same lines as products containing wheat and milk. So likely to be cross contaminated. They were one of my daughter's favorite foods. I think they are nasty.

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:49 AM

I haven't looked at a bag recently. I know they did contain wheat. They may have reformulated. General Mills has done that on some of their products (as in the chex cereals) so they may have done it here, too. General Mills will list any gluten ingredients in their ingredient list. Go by the packaging vs the website . . . and you could always call them. I would guess the "may contains" implies a shared line.

We loved bugles . . . always put them on our fingertips and pretended they were fingernails . . . sometimes pretended we were witches and cackled . . . then ate them off our fingers, one at a time. :)
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:27 AM

We loved bugles . . . always put them on our fingertips and pretended they were fingernails . . . sometimes pretended we were witches and cackled . . . then ate them off our fingers, one at a time. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

:P We used to do the same thing with the Bugles!! Too funny :)

#7 FooGirlsMom

FooGirlsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

LOL Bugles were my favorite food as a kid. And I did the fingernail thing too. I guess girls are all pretty much the same ;)

FooGirlsMom
When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: