#1 bean

bean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:15 PM

Hello everybody :)

Since I've started the gluten-free diet I have been paying a lot more attention to food & how I react to it. I've noticed that my reactions are emotional. I don't (typically) get the GI reactions - but I find myself getting mad or weepy or completely apathetic after I eat certain foods. Does anyone else have this?

It seems like if I eat anything with gluten I will get weepy. :( If I eat corn I will get mad. :angry: If I eat something highly processed (gluten-free cereals, gluten-free breads, etc.) the apathy sets in and I start imitating a zombie. :mellow: It's weird. :wacko:

I'm going to start keeping a food journal so that I can figure this out with a little more certainty, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same reactions. :huh:

Please share! :)

Thanks!
- Michelle :wub:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:15 AM

I can relate. Gluten makes me feel like a zombie. I get brain fog or something and I get so "out of it" that I don't even trust myself to drive sometimes :blink: The last time I believe I was glutened, I had to get people to chauffeur me around until I felt somewhat normal again. I've been partially sedated for the scopes I have had, and it kind of feels like that, but not quite that bad :lol:
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#3 Peaches503

Peaches503

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:18 PM

Hi, I just read your post, and you are not alone! I too, don't really suffer much from GI symptoms, but I get severely emotional. I mean, REALLY bad. Some days I get so angry that I really throw things and I can flip at the drop of a hat. The thing is, I am not normally like this, and I only started suffering from things like this since my celiac disease was activated. One day, I cried all day, literally. It just seemed like I was overreacting to everything! I strongly believe that it was all gluten related, as I have no other explanation for it. And, unfortunately, it's worse when I PMS, so I know that I absolutely have to stay away from gluten. I get so emotional that it puts a strain on every relationship in my life- boyfriend, family, friends, co-workers, etc. But, try to be very careful about being gluten-free and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck, and remember, we're here for you!
-Peaches
Blood test diagnosed with celiac disease 3/05
gluten-free since March '05

#4 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

Carrie & Peaches -

Thanks for understanding :) It's so crazy that I've gone through my entire life without realizing the connection between food & my emotions. But it's definitely there! One thing that I *have* known for a long time (even before finding out about Celiac) is that I have a very strong reaction to Broccoli. It makes me so happy! It's not that I crave it or love the taste so much or anything like that - just that after I eat it I have a ton of energy & am happy almost to the point of silliness! I should eat it every day ;)

Does anyone else have any noticeably POSITIVE emotions after they eat certain foods? Maybe if I could find other people with emotional reactions they could help me have some of the same positive ones they have if I try the stuff that makes them happy..? When I eat quinoa I seem to calm down - but that could be because I usually am starving by the time I get it ;)

I'm not talking about "ooh this is so yummy it makes me happy" stuff - but foods making you feel better *after* you have eaten them. Anyone notice anything?

I am a wreck if I eat gluten and my body gets really angry if I eat anything I'm allergic to. It's very odd. I can have nothing but good things happening to me and then if I eat something I'm allergic to (like eggs or sesame) I feel really angry. It's like the nerves throughout my body are just freaking out - almost like I've just been electrocuted or something. Wild stuff.

Anyway - if anyone has similar experiences, please share! :)

Thanks,
- Michelle :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: