13 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyforCandles

CrazyforCandles

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

Anyone have any Quick & Easy Gluten Free Cornbread Recipes?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mbrookes

mbrookes

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

I think I posted this earlier, but here it is again:
Mix up as much white corn meal as you want to with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 2 teaspoons baking powder for each cup of meal. Keep this in an airtight container or a heavy zip lock bag.
When you want cornbread, use one cup of mix, 2 eggs,2 Tablespoons oil and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Bake as usual.
Add 2 Tablespoons sugar to the cornmeal mix if you like sweet cornbread.

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

I get the cornbread mix from here:

http://allergyfreefo.../2010/index.asp

It's dairy free and egg free and super good!

#4 Lesx2

Lesx2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

Bobs Red Mill Cornbread mix gluten-free. As easy and quick as Jiffy and better tasting (IMO)

#5 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Pamelas Cornbread mix is amazing! So easy! So good! Better than Jiffy. My gluten eating extended family loves it.

#6 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

Here is my homemade recipe if I don't have the Pamelas Cornbread mix. It is really good too. It is sweet, so you can cut down on the sugar if you want to 1/2 cup, but my family likes a sweet cornbread.

1 cup Pamela's pancake and baking mix
1 cup Arrowhead Mills Organic gluten-free Yellow Corn Meal
2/3 cup white sugar (may cut to 1/2 cup if you want)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk or butter milk
1/3 cup oil

Preheat oven to 375 (I use convection at 400 which drops to 375)

Mix ingredients all together and pour into a greased 8X8 or 9X9 pan. Cook for 25 - 30 min until toothpick comes out clean.

I like to make muffins or mini muffins out of this recipe...cook the same temp for about 13 min for mini muffins or 18 min or so for regular muffins. I spray my muffin pans really good. Hope you like!

#7 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

I make a cornbread using Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix and Bob's Red Mill cornmeal. It's super fast and easy and my family actually begs me to make it when we visit for dinner :) Sure makes me feel good that they like my "gluten free" cornbread over their "regular" cornbread :D

Here's the recipe: Cornbread and Muffins

1-1/4 cup Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar or honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten (for fluffier muffins use two eggs)
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter

Muffins: Mix all ingredients together and fill greased muffin tin 3/4 full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.

Corn bread: Follow directions above, using two eggs. Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Variation: Add 1 cup drained canned corn and 2 tablespoons diced green chilies to dough when mixing. Bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Chef's Note: Use Pamela's Cornbread & Muffin Mix for other easy cornbread based recipes.

(From: http://www.pamelaspr...ipe_frames.html)
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#8 wahmmy

wahmmy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

I never cared for Jiffy cornbread mix, so maybe I can't help you on that, but I do enjoy a good cornbread! I think our cornbread is so much better now gluten-free. I noticed the above recipes use the Pamela's baking mix. Mine uses the Pamela's bread mix & flour blend. It doesn't take long to mix up, so if you'd like to try it, here it is:
http://mamameglutenf...corn-bread.html

Caneel
Husband Dx Celiac w/blood work & biopsy Fall 2008. Both daughters and myself tested to see if we were reacting to gluten and we were, but didn't get biopsy. That was enough for all of us to be gluten-free for life as of Jan. 2009.

#9 okieinalaska

okieinalaska

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:26 PM

Bobs Red Mill Cornbread mix gluten-free. As easy and quick as Jiffy and better tasting (IMO)

I am making this for the first time ever right now! It turned out pretty thick when I followed the directions, is that how it should be or should I have added more liquid?

I grew up in OK on Shawnee white cornbread (not sweet). Not sure if it's gluten free but I doubt it. -I can't get it up here in Alaska anyway.
Amy in Alaska
Gluten Hit Girl

#10 wahmmy

wahmmy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

I am making this for the first time ever right now! It turned out pretty thick when I followed the directions, is that how it should be or should I have added more liquid?

I grew up in OK on Shawnee white cornbread (not sweet). Not sure if it's gluten free but I doubt it. -I can't get it up here in Alaska anyway.

I've found the Bob's Red Mill mix turns out very thick cornbread. Too thick for my liking, and it seems to have a stronger "xanthan gum" feel when you chew it, but it doesn't taste too bad.
Husband Dx Celiac w/blood work & biopsy Fall 2008. Both daughters and myself tested to see if we were reacting to gluten and we were, but didn't get biopsy. That was enough for all of us to be gluten-free for life as of Jan. 2009.

#11 CrazyforCandles

CrazyforCandles

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

I will be trying these recipes out this weekend! Thank you to ALL! :)

#12 Lostfalls

Lostfalls

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

Anyone have any Quick & Easy Gluten Free Cornbread Recipes?

Me too! I grew up on sweet thick cake like cornbread - not hard compact crumbly stuff. The recipe I used to use for this i adapted as follows:

(9 ounce) corn meal - medium grind
1 box of Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix
1/3 cup milk
4 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup water

I constantly tinker with the last 4 ingredients based on what kind of mood I am in but this usually does the trick. Soft - thick and sweet, the way I like it.

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

I used to love to make Jiffy Cornbread into muffins. So good!

I now use and really like The Gluten Free Pantry Cornbread Mix. Easy and tasty :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

I make a cornbread using Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix and Bob's Red Mill cornmeal. It's super fast and easy and my family actually begs me to make it when we visit for dinner Posted Image Sure makes me feel good that they like my "gluten free" cornbread over their "regular" cornbread Posted Image

Here's the recipe: Cornbread and Muffins

1-1/4 cup Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar or honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten (for fluffier muffins use two eggs)
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter

Muffins: Mix all ingredients together and fill greased muffin tin 3/4 full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.

Corn bread: Follow directions above, using two eggs. Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Variation: Add 1 cup drained canned corn and 2 tablespoons diced green chilies to dough when mixing. Bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Chef's Note: Use Pamela's Cornbread & Muffin Mix for other easy cornbread based recipes.

(From: http://www.pamelaspr...pe_frames.html)

I made corn muffins tonight using this recipe and the baking and pancake mix and they were good!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: