Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Miss My Jiffy Cornbread!

14 posts in this topic

Ads by Google:

I think I posted this earlier, but here it is again:

Mix up as much white corn meal as you want to with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 2 teaspoons baking powder for each cup of meal. Keep this in an airtight container or a heavy zip lock bag.

When you want cornbread, use one cup of mix, 2 eggs,2 Tablespoons oil and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Bake as usual.

Add 2 Tablespoons sugar to the cornmeal mix if you like sweet cornbread.

Bobs Red Mill Cornbread mix gluten-free. As easy and quick as Jiffy and better tasting (IMO)

Pamelas Cornbread mix is amazing! So easy! So good! Better than Jiffy. My gluten eating extended family loves it.

Here is my homemade recipe if I don't have the Pamelas Cornbread mix. It is really good too. It is sweet, so you can cut down on the sugar if you want to 1/2 cup, but my family likes a sweet cornbread.

1 cup Pamela's pancake and baking mix

1 cup Arrowhead Mills Organic gluten-free Yellow Corn Meal

2/3 cup white sugar (may cut to 1/2 cup if you want)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 cup milk or butter milk

1/3 cup oil

Preheat oven to 375 (I use convection at 400 which drops to 375)

Mix ingredients all together and pour into a greased 8X8 or 9X9 pan. Cook for 25 - 30 min until toothpick comes out clean.

I like to make muffins or mini muffins out of this recipe...cook the same temp for about 13 min for mini muffins or 18 min or so for regular muffins. I spray my muffin pans really good. Hope you like!

I make a cornbread using Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix and Bob's Red Mill cornmeal. It's super fast and easy and my family actually begs me to make it when we visit for dinner :) Sure makes me feel good that they like my "gluten free" cornbread over their "regular" cornbread :D

Here's the recipe: Cornbread and Muffins

1-1/4 cup Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix

1 cup fine yellow cornmeal

1/3 cup sugar or honey

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten (for fluffier muffins use two eggs)

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons melted butter

Muffins: Mix all ingredients together and fill greased muffin tin 3/4 full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.

Corn bread: Follow directions above, using two eggs. Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Variation: Add 1 cup drained canned corn and 2 tablespoons diced green chilies to dough when mixing. Bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Chef's Note: Use Pamela's Cornbread & Muffin Mix for other easy cornbread based recipes.

(From: http://www.pamelasproducts.com/recipe_frames.html)

I never cared for Jiffy cornbread mix, so maybe I can't help you on that, but I do enjoy a good cornbread! I think our cornbread is so much better now gluten-free. I noticed the above recipes use the Pamela's baking mix. Mine uses the Pamela's bread mix & flour blend. It doesn't take long to mix up, so if you'd like to try it, here it is:

http://mamameglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/12/perfect-corn-bread.html

Caneel

Bobs Red Mill Cornbread mix gluten-free. As easy and quick as Jiffy and better tasting (IMO)

I am making this for the first time ever right now! It turned out pretty thick when I followed the directions, is that how it should be or should I have added more liquid?

I grew up in OK on Shawnee white cornbread (not sweet). Not sure if it's gluten free but I doubt it. -I can't get it up here in Alaska anyway.

I am making this for the first time ever right now! It turned out pretty thick when I followed the directions, is that how it should be or should I have added more liquid?

I grew up in OK on Shawnee white cornbread (not sweet). Not sure if it's gluten free but I doubt it. -I can't get it up here in Alaska anyway.

I've found the Bob's Red Mill mix turns out very thick cornbread. Too thick for my liking, and it seems to have a stronger "xanthan gum" feel when you chew it, but it doesn't taste too bad.

I will be trying these recipes out this weekend! Thank you to ALL! :)

Anyone have any Quick & Easy Gluten Free Cornbread Recipes?

Me too! I grew up on sweet thick cake like cornbread - not hard compact crumbly stuff. The recipe I used to use for this i adapted as follows:

(9 ounce) corn meal - medium grind

1 box of Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix

1/3 cup milk

4 eggs

1/3 cup butter, melted

1 cup water

I constantly tinker with the last 4 ingredients based on what kind of mood I am in but this usually does the trick. Soft - thick and sweet, the way I like it.

I used to love to make Jiffy Cornbread into muffins. So good!

I now use and really like The Gluten Free Pantry Cornbread Mix. Easy and tasty :)

I make a cornbread using Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix and Bob's Red Mill cornmeal. It's super fast and easy and my family actually begs me to make it when we visit for dinner smile.gif Sure makes me feel good that they like my "gluten free" cornbread over their "regular" cornbread biggrin.gif

Here's the recipe: Cornbread and Muffins

1-1/4 cup Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix

1 cup fine yellow cornmeal

1/3 cup sugar or honey

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten (for fluffier muffins use two eggs)

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons melted butter

Muffins: Mix all ingredients together and fill greased muffin tin 3/4 full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.

Corn bread: Follow directions above, using two eggs. Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Variation: Add 1 cup drained canned corn and 2 tablespoons diced green chilies to dough when mixing. Bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Chef's Note: Use Pamela's Cornbread & Muffin Mix for other easy cornbread based recipes.

(From: http://www.pamelaspr...pe_frames.html)

I made corn muffins tonight using this recipe and the baking and pancake mix and they were good!