This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Diagnosed Celiac

IAMmomtotrips

IAMmomtotrips Newbie

Hello everyone, like most here, after years of struggling with stomach issues, I am newly diagnosed celiacs disease. I ended up being hospitalized last month with an intestinal infection and the dr ordered a biopsy of my intestines. Low and behold, I was not suffering from IBS, but instead Celiacs, so now I am here to learn as much as I can and try to find a way to live this lifestyle and get my stomach under control as I am still flaring (is that the right word)...Any resources or books that anyone could recommend would be great..There seems to be a ton of information out there...Also how do you manage the whole gluten free pots and pans (do you do dishes and glasses too?) I am really confused with how to do this...

I am having my daughters tested too. Their ped highly recommended it, so in addition to me being on a gluten free diet, they are on a HIGH gluten diet for the next few weeks until we have their blood draws...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SRMM Newbie

Welcome to the world of gluten-free :) I am new in this community too but have been following the forum through twitter since i was diagnosed three weeks ago. I had stomach aches all my life but from past three years or so my body had more wear n tears with allergies and neuropathy. I was once hospitalized too in April for 5 nights and 4 days for stomach pain and infection. Doctors did every possible test including MRI and Ct scan not to mention CDC was involved and they did all their testings and couldn't find the source of infection. My Blood test was all over the place so i was heavily sedated and had combination of morphine and "Vancomycin" and later switched to Penicillin. I was discharged with no diagnosis and bunch of follow ups with GI and endocrinologist. They even couldn't find the source of my illness. Lucky me, I started to notice that whenever i eat Naan or Pita, or cereal bars i get sick. In the meantime we moved interstate and this summer i had severe allergies, i thought its seasonal so i went to allergist to check what is bothering me the most and to have allergy shots. Surprisingly, needle prick gave allergy to wheat and dust mites 7 out of 10. So my allergist tested my blood as well and result showed that i am allergic to gluten. Everything started to make sense and i started gluten free diet immediately and made appointment with the GI as well. Amazing discovery it was and after being gluten-free all my symptoms started to go away and to test, this week i ate cereal bar again which had Maltose in it and guess what i was miserable the whole week and whole system was upside down till i flushed it out completely but got inflammation in my mouth to my gut, so today went to see doctor and got steroid drink and grateful that it helped to calm down everything.

psawyer Proficient

I'm not sure what got you in the cereal bar, but it wasn't the maltose. Maltose is gluten-free--it is a form of sugar. Malt, malt extract, and malt flavor are gluten sources. Maltose and maltodextrin are not, despite their names.

What were the other ingredients?

SRMM Newbie

I'm not sure what got you in the cereal bar, but it wasn't the maltose. Maltose is gluten-free--it is a form of sugar. Malt, malt extract, and malt flavor are gluten sources. Maltose and maltodextrin are not, despite their names.

What were the other ingredients?

To my understanding what i have read so far Maltose is extracted from Wheat and barley and there is also a thread here in this forum about Maltose as well. I will check in to that again, But anyway, here are the ingredients for Nature valley Trail mix Fruit n Nuts bar :

Whole Grain Oats, High Maltose Corn Syrup, Crisp Rice (Rice Flour, Sugar, Malt Extract, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols [Natural Preservative]), Raisins, Almonds, Honey, Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Fructose, Sunflower Seed, Canola Oil, Cranberries, Rice Maltodextrin, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Natural Flavor, Baking Soda.

psawyer Proficient

To my understanding what i have read so far Maltose is extracted from Wheat and barley and there is also a thread here in this forum about Maltose as well. I will check in to that again, But anyway, here are the ingredients for Nature valley Trail mix Fruit n Nuts bar :

Whole Grain Oats, High Maltose Corn Syrup, Crisp Rice (Rice Flour, Sugar, Malt Extract, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols [Natural Preservative]), Raisins, Almonds, Honey, Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Fructose, Sunflower Seed, Canola Oil, Cranberries, Rice Maltodextrin, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Natural Flavor, Baking Soda.

I have marked in bold red the two gluten sources in the ingredient list.

Unless specially grown and processed, oats are invariably contaminated with wheat, and so even if you can tolerate pure oats, the ones in mainstream products are off limits.

From the Canadian Celiac Association list of food ingredients:

MALTOSE ... ALLOWED

A simple sugar obtained by enzymatic breakdown of starch (potato, rice, barley or wheat). Although barley or wheat may be used in the production of maltose, the manufacturing process renders maltose gluten-free.

mamaw Community Regular

Peter is soooo correct. Nature Valley does have two bars that are clearly labeled gluten free on the front of the box.

SRMM Newbie

Thankyou guys,i will definetly look in to it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I came back and read the ingredients again. The only reference to maltose that I can see is High Maltose Corn Syrup. The source there is clearly identified as corn. When reading a label, look for the commas. Each comma-separated phrase is an ingredient and may include qualifiers and sources. In this case, the corn syrup (corn source) is high in its content of naturally present maltose (a sugar). It has been refined to maximize the amount of maltose, but the source is still corn.

If any ingredient was derived from wheat, FALCPA requires that it be clearly disclosed on the label if sold in the USA.

SRMM Newbie

Thanks Peter. I appreciate your help. I am new in this boat so every moment, i am learning. I might have read that way but i did get the gluten from that bar. I also have read that people can get also reaction from gluten in the corn as well. Please do tell me about it too,if it is correct.

Archived