This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Disease Makes It To Dear Abby

rtc

rtc Apprentice

This was part of a thread about families accommodating (or not)

the vegan tastes of some family members.However,this family host

refused to accommodate the needs (not preferences) of a 9 year

old child...way to go:

Open Original Shared Link

Go figure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SilverSlipper Contributor

Yeah, I posted about it somewhere on here - perhaps under the Parents of Children forum? My Dad had called me right after the column on vegans came out to tell me that he would no longer accomodate my daughter's Celiac. I was upset and Dear Abby was one of the 'victims' of my temper. My main point was that one can be a gracious host and accomodate just about anything. Over the years, I have made changes in my menu for those with peanut allergies, vegetarians, no pork, low fat, etc. I have always done that because I want people to feel welcome in my home and know that I am concerned for their health and/or respectful of their lifestyle and/or religion. It doesn't take a lot to plan a main dish that works for everyone and a side item or two for those with special diets.

And that's all I ever asked for my daughter. Some relatives would do just that, main dish and a side item or two (we would fill in the rest). Some made sure that there were either duplicate dishes (gluten and gluten-free) or the entire meal was gluten free. But this year, my Dad decided he was tired of 'cooking funny' and over the expense. (And when we arrived on T-giving Day, they told my daughter 'There's your seven dollar box of crackers we bought for you'.)

We tried to work around it and somewhere along the way she became glutened anyway.

So, we sent an email out to our entire family, declining all holiday meal invitations (though we would love to visit without food) and inviting them to our house for a Christmas party. We asked people to bring items to take to a family here in town who has a son with Celiac Disease (we sponsored through our school system). Some people brought nothing (like my Dad) and some (like my aunt) spent $50 or so on gluten free items (specialty mixes, crackers, etc or fresh fruit and veggies). (On a side note, we filled two large plastic buckets with food items - it was great!).

I had many relatives call me yesterday when the column came out, but not my Dad (although I'm sure he knows about it by now). I don't think they realized how hurt I was by what had happened.

Anyway, we are preparing for Christmas and will have a house full of people stopping by tomorrow for chili and Christmas goodies. Really, it works out better this way for us. I know the food is safe. Plus, my oldest has autism and it's stressful at other's houses. She's able to stay in her 'comfort zone' here.

Merry Christmas!

plantime Contributor

I saw that column, and thought how your dad sounded a lot like my sister-in-law. I have celiac and food allergies, so I try to accomodate all of my meal guests. The entire meal is something I can eat, but I make sure I have dishes and know the ingredients of everything for everyone else. It doesn't cost any more than I would have spent to begin with, and it makes a fun relaxing time for all.

I really am sorry about your dad's reaction.

Archived