This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg, Did That Really Just Happen?!

Looking for answers

Looking for answers Contributor

I had to run across the street at lunch (there's a great outdoor mall there) and it took a lot longer than expected, so I came rushing back. I was nearly running in our back lobby when I suddenly lost my footing (thanks to my dog who chewed the non-slip grip off the bottom of my heels) and I started falling backward, but I caught myself, started flailing my arms like a cartoon character, then my weight shifted forward and down on my knees I went. It was loud, charismatic and painful. Of course, the first thing I was concerned about is how many people saw it happen. I jumped up, took a quick look around, thank God for being alone, and then I disappeared into the elevator. There I surveyed my bruised knees, semi-twisted wrist and devastated ego. I got back into my office and had been sitting for no more than 30 seconds when I heard footsteps approaching and two gentlemen from our security staff stood at my door, one with an over-sized emergency kit. How are those knees? they ask with a smirk (I know one of them). I asked them how they knew and they informed me the entire thing was caught on surveillance. I told them I was fine, despite being mortified that theyd witnessed it. They jokingly told me that they are going to play it on our company intranet if I ever get out of line. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Mortifying! But it sounds like they were worried about you. Good to know someone watches the security cameras.

FooGirlsMom Rookie

Ok I have been laughing for the last 5 minutes and had to share that with my husband. How awful and hilarious at the same time! I know just how you felt. I fell coming out of our bank one night and tipped over the side of the curb, ripped out both knees of my jeans on horrible gravelly blacktop right in front of heavy traffic going by. I unlocked my car and was barely able to climb in. I was in so much pain I just sat there and cried. But I was even more mortified than I was hurt. My first thought was how do I get out of eyesight before someone tries to come to my rescue. My knees were chewed up and I was bleeding and the jeans were ruined (my favorite ones too) but my ego was more damaged.

I was thinking - man - you thought you escaped only to find out it's on tape! ROFL

I hope you feel better,

FooGirlsMom

mommida Enthusiast

Maybe get a copy and put it on funniest videos? Counting some cash would make me feel better. :D

I have tripped, slipped, and fallen many times and the mortification of the moment is the worst. :o:ph34r:

Thanks guys. I can laugh about it now that I'm at home - thankfully, it's a loooong weekend too. Don't you find in those fleeting seconds you're trying to restable yourself to prevent a fall that everything happens in suuuuppppeeeer slow motion?! That only adds to drama to the whole event. :blink:

Ok I have been laughing for the last 5 minutes and had to share that with my husband. How awful and hilarious at the same time! I know just how you felt. I fell coming out of our bank one night and tipped over the side of the curb, ripped out both knees of my jeans on horrible gravelly blacktop right in front of heavy traffic going by.

Oh man, you know exactly how I felt then. A terrible injustice - darn gravity! :P

plantime Contributor

I fell at my oldest grandson's preschool last spring. So many people came running, it was unreal. VERY embarrassing! I didn't mind so much the women that came to help, but the embarrassment hit hard when I looked up at two very handsome young policemen!

You better bake up some goodies for those security guys, just so they don't show your tape!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

The whole slow motion thing, :rolleyes: even the sounds of the moment. :blink:

Picture a lovely get together. I am 5'1" so I was wearing some chunky soled shoe boots. I was walking quickly and there was a puddle on the floor. So off I go sliding on one foot, catching my balance every time I put my other foot down for a split second. The mommentum was moving me forward so quick I would put the slippery foot down and slide again. Down a hallway about 13 feet. I seemed to be gaining speed the whole time. Staight at the tallest man at the party. My choice was barrel into the man who was facing the other way and knock him accross the room. Or smash into to him and and wrap my arms around him and squeeze to keep both of us from falling. Well I figured I'd go for the squeeze we both stayed on our feet. I have never been able to look that guy in the face since and he always smiles when he sees me. God only knows where I squeezed him!!?

plantime Contributor

LOL @ Mommida! Maybe you really don't want to know where you squeezed him at!

Rowena Rising Star

To make you feel better, this is the story of my life... Cept, I don't know if we have security cameras taping me... but who knows. Even if there aren't there are plenty of onlookers to see my misfortune, so it might as well have been caught on tape...

Instance one: Standing at a secretarial station talking... out of the blue, I just go down. And the crazy part was I was standing still.

Instance two: I fall off my chair as someone walks into the room. He goes "Did that really just happen?" Meanwhile my coworker just sits there barely noticing I fell. "Yeah. It did. Its something you get used to working with Karen though."

Instance three: I walk over to a copy maching and just fall... nothing to trip over even. And there were like three important people standing there... Yeah that hurt my butt. And my arms...

Instance four: Not even at work but all the same. Four and a half years ago, I am on a date with my then boyfriend (still not sure how I standed dating such a hypocrite but whatever). I had just gotten over being mad at him for not wanting to do anything with me, though I had been gone for two weeks in Europe. Mostly he didn't want to do anything because we couldn't decide on something to do. So finally we decide to go bike riding. But genius me takes a razor scooter instead because I don't have a working bike (shudders at scooters. To this day they scare me). And genius me doesn't wear any protective gear, not even a helmet. Even more genius was the fact that we were going down a HUGE hill. The most genius part is the combination of all these plus the fact that my brakes don't work on a flat surface, let alone a HUGE hill. So anyway, I start going down the hill, and it don't take me long to realize I won't be able to stop. So I figure that I would jump off at the top of the hill, as opposed to crashing at the bottom. I ended up breaking my shoulder blade. (Hows that. My first and only broken bone is the hardest one to break. Did I mention they can't do anything for it either?)

Instance five: so I was on a church trip where we did part of the pioneer trail and one part the women of the company have to pull up the handcarts by themselves (its a tribute to when the women did it in the pioneer trek) so my group gets up the hill and then we go and hel-p the next cart up. on my way downi took a tumble and rolled all the way down. and yes... It was caught on camera. Oh did I mention that it was shown to about 200 people too? (That's OTHER than the ones who saw it happen.) Oh in case ye are wondering... End result=sprained left ankle.

Loey Rising Star

I had to run across the street at lunch (there's a great outdoor mall there) and it took a lot longer than expected, so I came rushing back. I was nearly running in our back lobby when I suddenly lost my footing (thanks to my dog who chewed the non-slip grip off the bottom of my heels) and I started falling backward, but I caught myself, started flailing my arms like a cartoon character, then my weight shifted forward and down on my knees I went. It was loud, charismatic and painful. Of course, the first thing I was concerned about is how many people saw it happen. I jumped up, took a quick look around, thank God for being alone, and then I disappeared into the elevator. There I surveyed my bruised knees, semi-twisted wrist and devastated ego. I got back into my office and had been sitting for no more than 30 seconds when I heard footsteps approaching and two gentlemen from our security staff stood at my door, one with an over-sized emergency kit.

Archived