3 replies to this topic

#1 catarific

catarific

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

Why is it that when you develop a sensitivity toward gluten that other sensitivies also happen, as well. I had never been gluten intolerant but now that I am, I find I am also having problems with soy, high fructose, potatoes, chocolate, milk products, etc. Before this, I never had a problem digesting these foods - but now everything has soooo changed.

Does the gluten intolerance contribute to these other sensitivities??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

Yes, it does. Gluten intolerance puts your intestine into a state of inflammation that makes it more likely to have other food reactions. Also, damaged intestine can become "leaky", allowing allergenic fragments of food into the bloodstream where you react to them.

You may find that these reactions subside after you've been gluten-free long enough for all the inflammation to subside and your intestine to heal.

#3 FooGirlsMom

FooGirlsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

Ditto what Skylark said. :)

FooGirlsMom
When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

#4 catarific

catarific

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:50 AM

Thanks so much for the explanation! Last night I spent hours reading up on Leaky Gut Syndrome and thought maybe that it what was happening - but after awhile, when you play detective for so long with no real answers, you get sort of frazzled really wondering what is going on with your body!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: