This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Micronized Gluten

captaincrab55

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

Just wondering if anyone heard or knows about, "Micronized Gluten" ??? I saw my Dermatologist late Wed 12/22/10, for my DH and he claims it will make it possible to eat gluten after that process... He thinks the new process is about a year or so away from putting safe food on the shelf.. I did a search here and didn't see anything Posted here about Micronized Gluten....

He told me that a friend of his just told him about it... Not sure if it's a false hope or not, but this Dermatologist was the first of 4 Dermatologists in over 30 years to diagnose me and on my second visit too.. Lab test results confirmed it on that visit... This Doc changed my life of suffering, so I have no reason not to believe him... I do hope that it's true....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

Gluten is a protein (actually several proteins), a chain of amino acids. The antibodies that give us celiac disease recognize short fragments of gluten, and antibodies can often identify a protein from just 3 or 4 amino acids in sequence. I don't care how small someone tries to break down gluten, unless they can reduce every gluten molecule in a food to its individual amino acids (which isn't going to happen) I'm not eating it. Plus, if you broke down the gluten protein in a food to that extent, it would no longer perform the usual functions of gluten, like chewiness and stretchiness and holding a loaf of bread together. So from a scientific point of view, don't hold your breath waiting for a miracle gluten treatment. My brain translated "micronized gluten" to "weaponized gluten" when I first saw this. It's good that you're diagnosed and can finally start healing, but focus on learning to avoid gluten as stringently as you can. We would all be ecstatic if something came along to make regular bread edible for us, but for now it's just a dream. Sorry.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Do you think it's possible that he's confusing it with micronized glutamine? When I was trying to google it, that's where the search engine was trying to take me.

When my daughter first went gluten free, I "heard" that they were working on gluten free wheat . . . :huh: . . . not really sure what it was really suppose to be. I wish I could find the source for that and of course I haven't seen anything about it since.

Darn210 Enthusiast

OK . . . guess you just have to know what words to google.

Hope I'm not opening a can of worms . . . ie, a heated debate on Genetically Modified Foods, but that is what they would do to the wheat to make it gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

Takala Enthusiast

I would not trust those duplicitous ***** b******s in the GM O business with "fixing" wheat for us, any farther than I could throw them.

Nasty, nasty blog interactions with the pro GM O crowd re sustainable agriculture and food safety, vs. Mon san toe. Aggressive and really just always on the attack. Always pretending they are trying to "feed the world" or "save mankind" or "help starving children in Africa," and then they ruthlessly go after the people who don't want GM O foods by saying they are not SCIENTISTS and only their precious selves are capable of making those scientific decisions. Trust me, they don't care if you're celiac, gluten intolerant, or get sick from eating wheat, they just want to make a profit off of everybody having to buy their GM O seed stocks.

If you can't tell, I am not fond of the Devil's lobbyists.

Story going around the net right now, about how the past administration in 2007 was recommending retaliation against European countries like France, who didn't want to import GM O grains from the USA.

My main concern is that they are doing research out of the country, and will cross contaminate the food grains we CAN eat with the wheat genes, and then the entire stock gets contaminated.

"Medical experts at the National Institutes of Health have declared urgency in dealing with celiac disease, the most common food-sensitive intestinal condition in humans, and require faster and more decisive methods such as transgenic breeding, in which genes are transferred from different species," said Dr. von Wettstein, a member of the National Academy of Sciences.

Dr. von Wettstein and his team have identified a fully viable, lysine-rich barley mutant that lacks the gliadin-type and low-molecular-weight glutenins that are currently shown to be exclusively responsible for dough elasticity and exceptional baking quality. Using genetic methods to remove the celiac-causing gliadins and low-molecular glutenins, Dr. von Wettstein's task is to produce a similar wheat grain while preserving wheat's baking qualities.

Dr. von Wettstein and his team have partnered with the Seattle-based biotechnology company Arcadia Biosciences to screen large populations of wheat, to be able to identify gene mutants that affect the celiac-triggering protein types.

Arcad ia works with Mon san toe, partners, same company.

See here, they're going to start screwing around with sorghum, but they do not say how or what they might insert into its genes : Open Original Shared Link

DAVIS, Calif. (October 26, 2010)

Oscar Apprentice

I would not trust those duplicitous ***** b******s in the GM O business with "fixing" wheat for us, any farther than I could throw them.

Nasty, nasty blog interactions with the pro GM O crowd re sustainable agriculture and food safety, vs. Mon san toe. Aggressive and really just always on the attack. Always pretending they are trying to "feed the world" or "save mankind" or "help starving children in Africa," and then they ruthlessly go after the people who don't want GM O foods by saying they are not SCIENTISTS and only their precious selves are capable of making those scientific decisions. Trust me, they don't care if you're celiac, gluten intolerant, or get sick from eating wheat, they just want to make a profit off of everybody having to buy their GM O seed stocks.

If you can't tell, I am not fond of the Devil's lobbyists.

Story going around the net right now, about how the past administration in 2007 was recommending retaliation against European countries like France, who didn't want to import GM O grains from the USA.

My main concern is that they are doing research out of the country, and will cross contaminate the food grains we CAN eat with the wheat genes, and then the entire stock gets contaminated.

Arcad ia works with Mon san toe, partners, same company.

See here, they're going to start screwing around with sorghum, but they do not say how or what they might insert into its genes : Open Original Shared Link

I know they were planning on doing "water efficient" rice research in China using other grains crossed into it.

Are you talking about GMO and Monsanto? Because if you are, I think you should say so openly. And the same goes for Arcadia. Express an opinion, but don't hide behind sneaky attempts to imply identity.

Skylark Collaborator

Just wondering if anyone heard or knows about, "Micronized Gluten" ??? I saw my Dermatologist late Wed 12/22/10, for my DH and he claims it will make it possible to eat gluten after that process... He thinks the new process is about a year or so away from putting safe food on the shelf.. I did a search here and didn't see anything Posted here about Micronized Gluten....

He told me that a friend of his just told him about it... Not sure if it's a false hope or not, but this Dermatologist was the first of 4 Dermatologists in over 30 years to diagnose me and on my second visit too.. Lab test results confirmed it on that visit... This Doc changed my life of suffering, so I have no reason not to believe him... I do hope that it's true....

I think your doctor misunderstood something. Micronized wheat is just dry cooked and rolled. It's been used as livestock feed since the '70s. The heat breaks down the starches and gluten protein a little, improving digestibility. The protein is not broken down to where it would be safe for celiacs. If you heated wheat to where the gluten would be safe for celiacs, you'd have nothing left but a pile of ashes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived