12 replies to this topic

#1 Senekha

Senekha

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

I have had intestinal problems for my entire life. I have been told that I am lactose intolerant and have IBS, which are plausible, but while reading a magazine article I started to get an itch about this celiac business.

I get sick rather easily, from both certain foods and from certain emotions. For example, whenever I go on a flight somewhere, or am about to go somewhere, I get violently sick, and end up writhing in the bathroom for hours on end. I've been told these are symptoms of IBS.

However, when I read the effects that Celiac had on the lady in the article I read, I thought, "Hey, that sounds really familiar". :huh:

Some of her symptoms were migraines (which I have also have for years), stomach cramps (duh), and diarrhea. These have all been plaguing be throughout my life, and I'm sure many of you here know the discomfort of being sick in a public bathroom :ph34r:

Anyways, I was wondering how I can be sure of what I truly do have - I can't stop it without knowing exactly what it is.

I am female, and just graduated this year. Next year, I plan on taking basic training and joining the Royal Military COllege of Canada - and, as you all can guess, I really don't want my problems to follow me to the field.

Thanks for you time.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:14 AM

I'm American, but your post got me wondering....Can you be in the U.S. military if you are known to have celiac disease? I would think not, but does anyone know for a fact?

As to your post- you should get tested for celiac disease. No one here can give you an official diagnosis but yes, you do present with some symptoms that should raise a cautionary flag. I'd suggest an appt. with your dr asap if you want to clarify this question.
I believe in God.

#3 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:26 AM

http://www.military....edical,,00.html

Hmmm, seems a few clicks of the mouse and I've answered my own question! I do believe this is the definitive answer. Someone let me know if I'm reading the info wrong.
I believe in God.

#4 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:00 AM

Senekha-
I was diagnosed with "IBS" about 13 years ago...turns out it wasn't IBS, it was Celaic. That is a very common story around here. Often enough, docs are stumped and don't recognize Celiac, and label it IBS. It would be worth getting a blood test for it. You can also read this post if you get a chance, about IBS vs. Celiac. http://www.glutenfre...t=0

I am quoting the fabulous Kaiti here on what you need to get a blood test of:

This is the panel you should get and the tTG is the most specific and sensitive test for celiac.
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Total Serum IgA

Glad you came across the article!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:15 AM

IBS is a very common misdiagnosis of celiac, but what you describe seems more anxiety connected, which leaves me pretty uncertain. I would definitely encourage a blood test, and trying out the gluten-free diet (AFTER all testing is completed).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Senekha

Senekha

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for your quick replies :)

I've just booked an appointment, and I'm wondering - is the test simply a blood test? I've got this paranoia about hospitals, from past experiences (I've had four surgeries, and I'm allergic to the general anesthetic they gave me, and they've also tried to figure out my problems before in unpleasant ways).

I don't mind a blood test ( I've certainly had my share), but is there anything else involved, besides the diet?

Oh - and about the military, I'm Canadian, so I don't know it the rules are the same. BUt now you've got me wondering....and worried. It's been my lifelong dream to be in the armed forces, and if I do have Celiac, I wouldn't want those dreams to be crushed.

Thanks again for your help :D It's really appreciated.

#7 Senekha

Senekha

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:12 PM

I forgot to mention that in addition to the previous symptoms I described, I also have joint problems, particularily my knees and hips, but also my elbows and wrists. I haven't had it diagnosed (as I refuse to go to the doctor unless I'm dying - or might have Celiac), so I'm now sure what the exact problem is. It could be lack of calcium, as I don't drink much milk, or something similar.

I do many sports, so this joint thing is rather annoying. After my match last night (sparring, boxing), my fingers were so painful I couldn't move them (all swollen up), and my hip began acting up again.

Thanks, again.

#8 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

Lactose intolerance can be associated with celiac especially at first when there is damage because the damage interferes with the breakdown and digestion of lactose. I was lactose intolerant on and off my whole life until going gluten free and now I am fine with it.

Also, celiac is commonly misdiagnosed for things such as IBS

I would suggest a complete celiac panel done. Jen posted them up there :D and those 5 tests in the celiac panel are just blood tests.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#9 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

I'm pretty sure if you have celiac disease, you won't be able to be in the military. Even in Canada...but I could be wrong. Trust me...there are worse things in life than having your plans altered. You could be just beginning a whole new, unexpected course in your life. Maybe you DO have celiac disease. Maybe you don't. In any case, it's kind of exciting either way. Please don't be a poster who disappears and doesn't let anyone know what happens next. Sometimes posting on the internet with a bunch of strangers is like getting halfway through a great book and not finishing! :o
I believe in God.

#10 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:35 PM

Nope...that's shocking, though. I'm disqualified twice! Celiac, of course, and even the malrotation...ha...wow, so no way for me ;)

I think it's pretty definitive that you can't. I read somewhere (maybe here under the articles?) that a lot of food that would be eaten in combat situations would be little packages FULL of gluten. And in combat, nobody's going to be able to or want to worry about packing special gluten-free food.

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

Even if you are celiac, and are hence unable to be a part of the military, there are other ways you can serve the military in a civilian position. I'm sure the HR arm of the military would be willing to help you investigate those possibilities. And, if that fails, there are always lots of companies who do work for the military. ;-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 Senekha

Senekha

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

My appointment is in August (as I'll be on vacation from this coming Monday til then), but when I get the results, I'll be sure to let you guys know :)

celiac3270 has a point, about the MREs....I never even thought about that, but it's true. Erghh....at first, I thought, 'yes! now I might know exactly what my problems are, and can counter them', but now I'm worried about that army situation. :(

It's nice to know that the tests are only blood tests :D phew!

I worked my arse off at school to get the grades needed for RMC (they don't want dumb officers, that's for sure!), and they require all very high marks. My friends have dubbed me 'Lieutenant', for everyone knows how crazy I am for the military and my future officer training.

However, if those plans don't work out, I"ll pursue my interests in archaeology - which I plan to do anyways, after ten years or so in the army. Buuuut that means I"ll have to pay for my education, whereas a huge bonus of RMC is that, provided one is accepted, one doesn't have to pay for the schooling (ouch). :blink:

Thanks for the thoughts! I wasn't expecting so many replies...it's nice! {{{{hugs}}}}

#13 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:36 AM

good luck-we'll be interested to hear when you return!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: