This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab Results

DawnRochelle

DawnRochelle Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to all this and looking for some support. I've just received results from Enterolab and am a bit anxious about the whole thing. (My blood panel was negative for Celiac) If I didn't feel so awful, I think I'd try to brush it off, but, I've also known there was something wrong for years and getting worse. I live in the San Francicsco Bay area and would appreciate it if someone could steer me in the direction of a good Doctor to trust in my area.

Thanks, Dawn

Here are my results:

A) Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 31 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 14 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 1323 Units (Normal Range is less than 300 Units)

Fecal Anti-casein (cow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

halsgluten Newbie

Hi, I started learning about celiac disease 8 years ago reading many Celiac.com threads, but just made my first posts this week. I am sure there are many here who know more about the fat malabsorption.

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 31 Units

My understanding is that such an Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA result indicates your intestinal tissues are producing antibodies to a particular wheat protein at some level well above the threshold of detection (3 units, IIRC). If these antibodies mix with wheat protein, they should cause an inflammatory response in your intestines. Such an inflammatory response could be expected to weaken your digestion some argue the point.

Fecal Fat Score 1323 Units

However, your Fecal Fat Score looks to my eyes as indication of one of two things, you ate a lot of fat or you are having trouble absorbing fat because of a weakened digestion. May be gluten, may be gallstones, may be something else. That should be discussed with a doctor, I should think. If I may ask, are your stools foul, gassy, and burning? Sometimes like toothpaste, sometimes lumpy with a mucousy glaze? (Thats the way mine were.)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 14

Fecal Anti-casein (cows milk) IgA 11

Maybe these are of less concern if you clearly have digestive problems that turn out to respond to diet change. The equivocal cows milk IgA result certainly does not rule out the possibility of lactose intolerance.

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0301

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0602

My son has DQB1*0301, and I just started Provigil, so maybe I do too.

Curious, do you have bad daytime sleepiness or chronic sinus problems?

I never had any test, a doctor friend who is Celiac himself told me to just go on the diet for a while (after I had been expressing symptoms to him for 12 years!). He predates even the blood tests, I think. I needed to eliminate the dairy, too.

My son had the Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA at 64 Units at age five. He never had a solid stool until the GFD. tTG negative. Doctor had no interest. As infant, he had cradle cap -- either fat malabsorption or DQB1*0301?

Do some reading. There are those who are gluten sensitive but never pass muster on a Celiac Diagnosis. If I may suggest, look for posts by jcc and see what reading she recommends.

Sorry about the doctor reference, Im a nerd in Kansas.

Hal

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If you are not going to have the endo done then you need to go gluten free. It is also a good idea to avoid dairy products as you are showing a reaction to casien, the protein, and in addition we are often also lactose intolerant until we heal a bit. Your fecal fat is really high which is indicative of severe malabsorption so it would be a good idea to have your doctor run tests to check your levels of B12, vit D, calcium and iron at the very least.

I hope your feeling better soon on the diet.

halsgluten Newbie
Maybe these are of less concern if you clearly have digestive problems that turn out to respond to diet change. The equivocal cows milk IgA result certainly does not rule out the possibility of lactose intolerance.

I mean, if you do try a gluten and dairy free diet and get better, then I don't think it matters if, say, your tTG results were near the line.

Sorry about rambling on and asking a lot of personal questions...ravenwoodglass says it all much better...

Hal

DawnRochelle Newbie

Hi, I started learning about celiac disease 8 years ago reading many Celiac.com threads, but just made my first posts this week. I am sure there are many here who know more about the fat malabsorption.

My understanding is that such an Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA result indicates your intestinal tissues are producing antibodies to a particular wheat protein at some level well above the threshold of detection (3 units, IIRC). If these antibodies mix with wheat protein, they should cause an inflammatory response in your intestines. Such an inflammatory response could be expected to weaken your digestion some argue the point.

However, your Fecal Fat Score looks to my eyes as indication of one of two things, you ate a lot of fat or you are having trouble absorbing fat because of a weakened digestion. May be gluten, may be gallstones, may be something else. That should be discussed with a doctor, I should think. If I may ask, are your stools foul, gassy, and burning? Sometimes like toothpaste, sometimes lumpy with a mucousy glaze? (Thats the way mine were.)

My son has DQB1*0301, and I just started Provigil, so maybe I do too.

Curious, do you have bad daytime sleepiness or chronic sinus problems?

I never had any test, a doctor friend who is Celiac himself told me to just go on the diet for a while (after I had been expressing symptoms to him for 12 years!). He predates even the blood tests, I think. I needed to eliminate the dairy, too.

My son had the Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA at 64 Units at age five. He never had a solid stool until the GFD. tTG negative. Doctor had no interest. As infant, he had cradle cap -- either fat malabsorption or DQB1*0301?

Do some reading. There are those who are gluten sensitive but never pass muster on a Celiac Diagnosis. If I may suggest, look for posts by jcc and see what reading she recommends.

Sorry about the doctor reference, Im a nerd in Kansas.

Hal

Thank you for the response. I'm having trouble figuring out the reply options on this site, so please be patient. To answer to your questions: I have sinus and voice issues (going to the ENT next week) Sleepiness? Yes, but more on the level of fatigue. My stools are as you describe; minus the burning. I'm either constipated or like toothpaste, not much in between..

What is Provigil?

DawnRochelle Newbie

If you are not going to have the endo done then you need to go gluten free. It is also a good idea to avoid dairy products as you are showing a reaction to casien, the protein, and in addition we are often also lactose intolerant until we heal a bit. Your fecal fat is really high which is indicative of severe malabsorption so it would be a good idea to have your doctor run tests to check your levels of B12, vit D, calcium and iron at the very least.

I hope your feeling better soon on the diet.

Thanks for your comments. I am gluten-free, and as of yesterday, dairy-free. The malabsorption issue is what is really concerning to me now. I've found the name of a Dr. Vicki Petersen and plan to do a consult with her to, first, get my nutrition problem dealt with and, second, to learn how to live my life from this point on. I don't know if I will do an endoscopy at this point, but, I won't rule that out. I just got the name of a new gastro but, I'm inclined to try the gluten-authority first, since I tired of getting the run-around.

BTW, I'm trying to figure out the reply feature on this site so I apologize for that..maybe it's the brain fog;)

halsgluten Newbie
I have sinus and voice issues (going to the ENT next week) Sleepiness? Yes, but more on the level of fatigue. ... What is Provigil?

I must apologize, I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DawnRochelle Newbie

I must apologize, I

halsgluten Newbie
Where does one find out the different risk associations with the different alleles? I'd like to know what else I can look forward to in the future! I have also had several scary lung infections in the last 10 years and suffered from recurrent tonsilitis as a child. I suppose I can blame my alleles for that too :)

If the gluten free diet helps you, I hope it works out like it did for me. I used to have 2-4 lung infections a year. Ex-doctor never thought twice about it. But I have them no more took me about a year to realize that the infections had gone missing!!! Frueden tag!!! Same with the sinus infections. My Pollen and mold allergies are much better, too. Was that really due to me maybe having DQB1*0301? I don't know yet.

Studying the biomedical factors of gluten sensitivity leads down many rabbit holes and time sinks. Dont stress over it. There may be a clearinghouse information of DQ and other alleles, but I dont know yet. I searched Celiac.com for "genetics" -- if there was any resource other than overviews of DQ2 and DQ8, I missed it. But this is new stuff [suggestion!]

If you know all you need to about your diet and run out of other things to do, you could search the internet for DQB1*0301 with whatever symptom or condition you are wondering about. Be prepared for reading technical papers. Thats how I study. I see that others some others do, too. I think gluten sensitivity and geekiness travel together.

I weeks ago I looked at what Wikipedia has now about HLA-DQ. There is a list of alleles and links articles on the related serotypes., e.g., DQ6 and DQ7.

I liked the discussion on Understanding DQ Haplotypes and DQ isoforms on the "DQ2" wiki page, explaining wide ranges of severity of sensitivity.

If you want to read more technical materials and fewer commercial sites, search the internet for gliadin instead of gluten. But this can take up a lot of time and may raise false or premature worries. The main thing I got out of all the reading is confirmation of how non-intestinal symptoms can associate with gluten instead of taking someones word to the contrary.

Archived