6 replies to this topic

#1 inmygenes

inmygenes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

I recently bought a bag of this corn flour and it says it's a gluten free food but does this mean it's gluten free? - I'm not sure I can trust it.

I haven't seen tested Masa flour anywhere and would be interested how this would come out if tested.

Something has been upsetting my stomach and I'm not sure if it's this flour.

Thanks if you have any info.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

MASECA is made from 100% selected corn. Foods rich in corn provide various health and nutritional benefits.

I found that on their website. I would call the company tomorrow and ask if they use any flours other than corn flour in the factory and see if CC is a problem. If you do, would you post what you find out? I have been looking for something similar to make tamales with. Thx :)

#3 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

We use corn flour for lots of things. Could you post that recipe for tamales?

Thanks,

Wenmin

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

Tamale Recipe

Ingredients

Tamale Filling:
1 1/4 pounds pork loin
1 large onion, halved
1 clove garlic
4 dried chili pods
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Tamale Dough:
2 cups masa harina
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup Crisco
1 (8 ounce) package dried corn husks
1 cup sour cream
Directions

1.Place pork into a Dutch oven with onion and garlic, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is cooked through, about 2 hours.

2.Use rubber gloves to remove stems and seeds from the chili pods. Place chilis in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then remove from heat to cool. Transfer the chilis and water to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain the mixture, stir in salt, and set aside. Shred the cooked meat and mix in one cup of the chili sauce.

3.Soak the corn husks in a bowl of warm water. In a large bowl, beat the lard with a tablespoon of the broth until fluffy. Combine the masa harina, baking powder and salt; stir into the lard mixture, adding more broth as necessary to form a spongy dough.

4.Spread the dough out over the corn husks to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Place one tablespoon of the meat filling into the center. Fold the sides of the husks in toward the center and place in a steamer. Steam for 1 hour.

5.Remove tamales from husks and drizzle remaining chili sauce over. Top with sour cream. For a creamy sauce, mix sour cream into the chili sauce.

#5 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

Thank You!

Wenmin

#6 inmygenes

inmygenes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

MASECA is made from 100% selected corn. Foods rich in corn provide various health and nutritional benefits.

I found that on their website. I would call the company tomorrow and ask if they use any flours other than corn flour in the factory and see if CC is a problem. If you do, would you post what you find out? I have been looking for something similar to make tamales with. Thx :)

The website that's advertised on the pack seems to be down but now I see it's an old URL. I tried to get through to the number advertised on the pack but waited for over 12 minutes and there was no one available. There don't seem to be any contact details on the new website.

The website does say their products are gluten free.

I searched online and according to one persons feedback on Amazon they are one of the few corn mills that don't also mill wheat.

A reply from the company was posted on peanutallergy.com in 2004 they said: 'MASECA Corn Flour is made out of 100% corn and does not contain gluten.
Azteca Milling only handles corn in all the plants, there is no possibility of cross contamination with gluten, nuts or peanuts."

#7 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

I searched online and according to one persons feedback on Amazon they are one of the few corn mills that don't also mill wheat.

A reply from the company was posted on peanutallergy.com in 2004 they said: 'MASECA Corn Flour is made out of 100% corn and does not contain gluten.
Azteca Milling only handles corn in all the plants, there is no possibility of cross contamination with gluten, nuts or peanuts."

The milling wheat-free is something I've heard before, which made me happy to try this same flour a few months ago, but it makes me sick - too much gluten for me (but I'm very sensitive, I'll admit). I'm sorry to say that the company cannot actually back up any claim that their flour does not contain gluten - there aren't any tests sensitive enough to test down to 0ppm of gluten. <_<

And sadly, one of the big CC issues with corn is BEFORE the milling, because the corn is so often grown in the same fields as wheat.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that yeah, this CAN make you sick from gluten, if you're sensitive, but it's better than many other brands of corn masa.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: