25 replies to this topic

#16 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

Celiac Disease does not suppress your immune system....it is a disease of overactive immune response. You may become run down from anemia related issues from mal-absorption but anyone suffering from Celiac disease has an over active immune system.

While this is true, it seems the immune system is so busy fighting the gluten bogeyman that it doesn't have time for the routine, run-of-the-mill virus housework, which viruses I contracted in excessive numbers my whole life, and which lasted three times as long as everyone else's, always ending up in secondary infections, usually my lungs. Admittedly, the last two or three years before I quit gluten were worse, when I had pernicious anemia (I kept asking what Increased MCV meant :blink: ), which has resolved with appropriate supplementation. Touching wood as I type this but my immune system seems to be the best it has ever been despite my having to take an immunosuppressant (Humira), but from what I have heard this does not make you more likely to catch things, just harder to get rid of them :o
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

Mushroom i agree 100% you got it right not more suspitable just harder to get rid of i have had a harder time getting rid of things myself the past few yrs and i am 3 1/2 months gluten free feeling better but not 100% i keep getting chest congesion although i dont take anything and the heat in my house is forced hot air kills me,do you think it will take longer to build my system up?? or should the diet be helping with this sicknesses by now??
Melissa
9/10 Diagnosed celiac via bloodwork/endo
9/10 Gluten free

#18 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful and informative replies to my question. I was prone to illness prior to the Celiac diagnosis but I was also a teacher and exposed continually to germs.

I was diagnosed last June and have been following a strict gluten-free diet for 6 months. I recently was diagnosed with an ulcer and IBS. I don't like my current GI and will see a new one who was recommended by a friend of my husband's on January 20th. He will give you as much time as you need for him to listen and will try something new if I research it.

I've always been prone to upper respiratory illnesses and always get a flu shot because of that. It seems that I get sick much more frequently since June. I'm beyond sick of being sick. It's bad enough to have the Celiac, n ulcer, and IBS but the flu knocked me for a loop. I've spent three days in bed and not much time with my family.

I don't know what I would do without this forum. Posted Image

Loey

#19 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

hey loey i was a waitress for 5 yrs so i was always around other people and there germs as well:( I think its early in your diet and within a yr or so i think you will build yourself up enough where you dont get sick as much xoxo
Melissa
9/10 Gluten free

#20 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

hey loey i was a waitress for 5 yrs so i was always around other people and there germs as well:( I think its early in your diet and within a yr or so i think you will build yourself up enough where you dont get sick as much xoxo

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for giving me hope and for all your (and the forum's support). I am finally feeling a little better. Actually made my family mac & cheese (I'm dairy free). I was thinking I couldn't attend the New Year's Eve Party we were invited to but I'm hopeful that I'll make it. It will be a chance to meet people in our neighborhood (we moved to a new state the day after I received all of my celiac test results). So even if we go for a little while it will be a good thing. I'm bringing champagne and a non gluten-free tray of gourmet cookies (which DH can carry). I'll bring a baggie of gluten-free veggies and keep it with me all night.

Wishing all of you a healthy and happy new year. May this be the year that those of us still feeling crappy turn the corner!

Loey

#21 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

P.S. I was exercising before I got sick. Right now I find that even walking too much throws me off. I also had bouts of Ataxia. I've been a mess. But I'm an optimistic mess!!!

Loey Posted Image

#22 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

But I'm an optimistic mess!!!

:)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#23 Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

i was exercising before i got sick too how funny:) You have the right attitude you will be ok xoxo
Melissa
9/10 Gluten free

#24 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

i was exercising before i got sick too how funny:) You have the right attitude you will be ok xoxo

2011 is going to be a GREAT year for all of us!!!!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image Loey

#25 JAMR

JAMR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

My understanding of Celiac is that the damage to the gut wall means that proteins from other foods and other ? can pass into the body and be seen as invading pathogens. Usually foods are broken down and absorbed before they pass through the gut wall, and so do not appear as invaders by the immune system. This adds stress to all the systems, alows opportunistic things like candida to take hold, and also means that the body does not get enough nutrients required for a healthy immune system. The organs get stressed, like the liver whose role is to break down the toxins. The net result is that there is a tendency to get a systemic breakdown, our immune systems are less effective, so we are more susceptible to illness, and gluten appears to be a fundamental culprit behind this. Other food intolerances like lactose, soy etc often appear to be made better by fixing gluten issues. I also suffer from allergies to dust mite and cold water urticaria (hives), and it appears these are linked to the damage caused by gluten. Unravelling the cause and effect chain is not easy but it seems like a very sure bet if you can succesfully get gluten out of your diet, over time (6 months to 5 years), overall health should improve. As you get older the longer it takes to recover. It is critical to be disciplined with gluten and other foods for at least 6 months - 1 year, gluten avoidance needs to be lifelong, other foods might be tolerated after time. I have been working through this for around 3 years, and made numerous mistakes and assumptions by being over confident, ignorant or ill disciplined, yet I have have had moments of excellent health that give me hope I will get on top of this. Forums like this where we exchange experiences are invaluable.

#26 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

My understanding of Celiac is that the damage to the gut wall means that proteins from other foods and other ? can pass into the body and be seen as invading pathogens. Usually foods are broken down and absorbed before they pass through the gut wall, and so do not appear as invaders by the immune system. This adds stress to all the systems, alows opportunistic things like candida to take hold, and also means that the body does not get enough nutrients required for a healthy immune system. The organs get stressed, like the liver whose role is to break down the toxins. The net result is that there is a tendency to get a systemic breakdown, our immune systems are less effective, so we are more susceptible to illness, and gluten appears to be a fundamental culprit behind this. Other food intolerances like lactose, soy etc often appear to be made better by fixing gluten issues. I also suffer from allergies to dust mite and cold water urticaria (hives), and it appears these are linked to the damage caused by gluten. Unravelling the cause and effect chain is not easy but it seems like a very sure bet if you can succesfully get gluten out of your diet, over time (6 months to 5 years), overall health should improve. As you get older the longer it takes to recover. It is critical to be disciplined with gluten and other foods for at least 6 months - 1 year, gluten avoidance needs to be lifelong, other foods might be tolerated after time. I have been working through this for around 3 years, and made numerous mistakes and assumptions by being over confident, ignorant or ill disciplined, yet I have have had moments of excellent health that give me hope I will get on top of this. Forums like this where we exchange experiences are invaluable.

Thank you for your informative and thoughtful reply. I wasn't as strict as I should have been over the holidays (remained totally gluten-free but didn't adhere to IBS restrictions) and I'm still paying for it. I'm changing doctors and have heard excellent things about my new one. My appointment is on the 20th and I'm counting the day. I did finally get over the bug I had but think I was CC'd at the New Year's party I attended. in the future I'll bring a ziplock bag of food. it was the first time we met everyone in our neighborhood (we just moved to a new city and state in June) so I was concerned about looking batty. When it comes to health I don't think it should matter and I learned my lesson.

Wishing all of you a healthy and happy New Year,
Loey

P.S. my old GI in NJ thought that my Celiac had gone undiagnosed for decades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: