4 replies to this topic

#1 eppoppork

eppoppork

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:59 PM

hi ppl. my mum-in-law has celiac disease, she is 79 and was only diagnosed about 5 years ago. she had gone all her life enjoying breads and cakes etc with no prob up until then. she was wondering if anyone knows if they make gluten-free pastries, like puff pastry. she loves pies and stuff like that and used to love to make her own pies using puff pastry, but since she got diagnosed with celiac disease hasnt bothered. she thinks that maybe there might be a recipe to make her own pastry, that she could try if anyone has one, that is if it is not commercially available. any help would be great. just a side note, one of her sisters has just been diagnosed with celiac disease as well one of her 3 daughters, so it is cetainly going around in the family.

cheers
eppo

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:20 PM

I do not have any recipes for you :( but I do have a great website where you can order bread, buns, rolls, cinnamon rolls, etc...

http://www.kinnikinnick.com/

I hope this helps and that your mom-in-law is able to enjoy some of her fav foods :D

#3 eppoppork

eppoppork

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:35 PM

thanks for the reply stacie, although i guess i should have mentioned that we are in australia!! never mind. i know there are places here in Asutralia where you can order stuff over the net. we are lucky enuff too that one of our local supermarkets has a very limited range of gluten-free foodstuffs, so all is not completely lost!! ha ha. just love to find gluten-free pastry.

#4 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:44 PM

I am sure some of these WONDERFUL cooks here will offer some of their recipes for you.... :D

#5 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:11 PM

Hi eppo,

I have not tried this recipe before, so I can't say how it will turn out, but I found this in one of my gluten-free cookbooks.

Sweet Pastry Crust

Ingedients:

2 TBSP shortening
1/3 cup sugar
2 TBSP oil
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring
1/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine shortening and sugar. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well to remove all lumps. Place dough into bottom of a greased springform pan. Top as desired, then bake until crust is light golden brown.

This thin crust is perfect with fresh fruits and tarts. It is used with the Apple Tart recipe in this book, but other fresh fruits work well, too.

I hope this works out for you and your mom. :)

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: