17 replies to this topic

#1 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

So, I really think that my Teflon Frying Pan is trying to kill me.

When I first decided to give this gluten-free thing a go the day before Thanksgiving :blink: , I did a little research so I would have success. And I did pretty well, besides eating out. But I've now gotten sick twice from food cooked at home. Both times, I scoured the labels for ingredients, double-checked every one of them, and was very, very careful in preparation.

Except for the scratched Teflon Frying Pan. :ph34r:

Since I don't have an official, certified, MD diagnosis, the little guy that sits on one of my shoulders says, "It's not really Celiac. Something else is making you sick, and you are totally wasting your time on this diet. Come to the dark side. Eat an Oreo."

Then the little guy on the other shoulder says, "It's the Teflon Frying Pan. Those nice people on the Celiac forum tried to tell you not to use it, because it is scratched. But you can't accept that your body can be that sensitive to gluten."

So every day, I have to decide who to believe.

And you thought that YOU were crazy! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

If you keep using the pan, eventually you will have eaten all the gluten off of it and it'll be fine. You'll be sick the whole time, but you already know that.....
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

Check your hygine products too.

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

You might want a new pan anyway. Scratched Teflon means you are eating some Teflon. Not usually considered healthy for gluten or non- gluten eaters.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 sahm-i-am

sahm-i-am

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:07 PM

I agree with Kareng - teflon in your food isn't good for anyone, celiac or not.
But your angel/demon story is cute - let the angel win, you'll feel better for it. ;)
Diagnosed with Lymphoma March 2010. After surgery doctors said "Oops!"
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2010. After endoscopy doc said "Aren't you glad?"
Uhhh.....yeah!
DD #1 ('99) tested negative on bloodwork but positive on 2 genetic markers. Went gluten free in July 2010 and has been symptom-free ever since!
DD #2 ('98) tested negative and has no symptoms. Didn't fork out money for genetic testing. Will watch and test regularly.
Husband tested positive in July 2010 and has refused to go gluten free. Uh huh, that's gonna bite him in the a** one day! (Pun intended!)

#6 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

So, I really think that my Teflon Frying Pan is trying to kill me.

When I first decided to give this gluten-free thing a go the day before Thanksgiving :blink: , I did a little research so I would have success. And I did pretty well, besides eating out. But I've now gotten sick twice from food cooked at home. Both times, I scoured the labels for ingredients, double-checked every one of them, and was very, very careful in preparation.

Except for the scratched Teflon Frying Pan. :ph34r:

Since I don't have an official, certified, MD diagnosis, the little guy that sits on one of my shoulders says, "It's not really Celiac. Something else is making you sick, and you are totally wasting your time on this diet. Come to the dark side. Eat an Oreo."

Then the little guy on the other shoulder says, "It's the Teflon Frying Pan. Those nice people on the Celiac forum tried to tell you not to use it, because it is scratched. But you can't accept that your body can be that sensitive to gluten."

So every day, I have to decide who to believe.

And you thought that YOU were crazy! :lol:

LOL this made me giggle... it was funny and I can relate. I haven't eaten gluten 'intentionally' for almost 2 months and only one incident in a restaurant so far. But I hear the evil one all the time say 'come to the dark side and have an oreo' lol I kick his butt and make his sleep in the dirty dishes in the sink and then he leaves me alone for a few days. heehee :P
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#7 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

Jestgar - that is funny! I guess I could always just lick the pan some and see if I get sick. :lol:

SG - I've been trying that, but I think I am going to have to call EVERY COMPANY. It seems that lots of food websites will give gluten-free info, but not so much the hygiene products. Although this time I am suspecting the pan because it was about 45 minutes after dinner, and I wasn't really putting on chapstick or anything.

Karen - but it's such a good pan! And I'm so CHEAP! :D

SAHM - the question is, which one is the angel, and which is the devil? All I can do for now is get stricter and stricter with the diet until I am convinced, one way or the other. But so far, I am leaning towards CELIAC. Every symptom from the last year and a half fits, and I feel like I am improving (if it weren't for these random setbacks). BTW, I like your name. I'm a sahm, too. :)

Right now, I am smelling my very first loaf of homemade gluten-free bread baking in the oven. I haven't eaten a slice of bread in over a month, so I figure even if it's nasty, I won't realize just how bad it is. Of course, before I greased the pan, I practically stuck my face in it, looking for scratches.

#8 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

Judy, you are doing GREAT if you've only ingested gluten once in two months! WAY TO GO! I bow before your nutritional awesomeness. :lol:

(Or your incredible CDO tendencies...if it works, whatever!)

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Jestgar - that is funny! I guess I could always just lick the pan some and see if I get sick. :lol:

Karen - but it's such a good pan!

Right now, I am smelling my very first loaf of homemade gluten-free bread baking in the oven. I haven't eaten a slice of bread in over a month, so I figure even if it's nasty, I won't realize just how bad it is. Of course, before I greased the pan, I practically stuck my face in it, looking for scratches.

Its not a good pan if it's peeling off bits of Teflon!

If the bread isn't real great, here's what we do. Slice it, put a bunch of olive oil, garlic salt, garlic powder & pram or Asiago on it. Put on a clean cookie sheet ( or foil on old sheet).
Toast til crunchy. This will make all but the worst bread edible. Even my gluten lovers like this.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

Karen - HA! TRUE! You've got me there. So let's go with...I'm so cheap. HAHAHA!!!

That sounds like a great idea for the bread. I'll try it! However, I am pleased to announce that the bread was FANTASTIC. My husband and kids gobbled it down. I had to refrain from saying, "Hey! That's gluten-free, and it's MINE, all MINE!" Because if they want to eat gluten-free, I need to keep my mouth shut and buy some more so they can join the gluten-free Hootenanny. (We need a dancing emoticon.)

The bread was a mix by Hodgson Mills. I also really, really liked their cookie mix. The cookie mix was $2.50 and made a couple dozen. You can customize it to make chocolate chip, peanut butter, almond, chocolate, etc. The bread was about the same price and made a 9"X5"X6" loaf. My husband astounded me by getting the box, finding the web address, and saying we should see if we could get it in bulk for less since "we like their products."

I am also in love with Chex, Honey Baked Ham, and Outback Steak House.

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

We need a dancing emoticon.

Will this do?

Posted Image

There are lots more where that came from.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

PERFECT! I have just the thing...

#13 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

Try these cookies. The Pb ones freeze well. My boys eat them straight from the freezer.

http://www.celiac.co..._1

santa-dance.gif

#14 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hey! I made those the other day, without the chocolate chips! We made a bunch of goodies and went Christmas caroling to friends' houses. I am sure my friends all liked getting gluten-free Christmas treats. HA! But I wanted to be able to sample while I baked!

As for Emeril, he obviously does not have children.

A perfect recipe for kids -- no fuss, no muss.

He needs to come see my five-year-old boy in action with the peanut butter, a measuring cup, and a spoon. :D

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hey! I made those the other day, without the chocolate chips! We made a bunch of goodies and went Christmas caroling to friends' houses. I am sure my friends all liked getting gluten-free Christmas treats. HA! But I wanted to be able to sample while I baked!

As for Emeril, he obviously does not have children.

He needs to come see my five-year-old boy in action with the peanut butter, a measuring cup, and a spoon. :D

Maybe he didn't mean the kids to make? No muss, no fuss for mom to make?

Try Chebe bread stick mix ( about $2.75 ). Add some Italian seasoning to the powder. Then mix up. Roll little pieces like a Play doh snake. Cook part way, then paint on olive oil and sprinkle garlic salt & garlic powder! We loved them. My hub had a great time make the snakes so I think the kids would like to do that part.

santa-dance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: