Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Raisins And Dates Are Making Me Sick Suddenly...anyone Know Why?

19 posts in this topic

I am a fairly diagnosed Celiac. I have been on the diet for 6 months. But suddenly I have had a very bad reaction to raisins and dates! I only eat Sunmaid, since they have reported to be Gluten free. But I have had the same "gluten tainted" reaction to them, that I never had before! I love raisins, and have eaten them for years. Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

Ads by Google:

I have been gluten free for almost 2 months and I can no longer eat raisins either and I don't know why. I used to eat them all the time too.. Now the pain in my stomach from them is so severe that it's just not worth it. I don't have a clue why either and mine are Sunmaid.

maybe u should google fructose malabsorption- i avoid dates, raisins, pears, etc... the pain & bloating is quite miserable.

I am sure it's coincidence but the last several Lara Bars I have had seemed to be almost all dates and very little of the other stuff. I am sicker than a dog at present. I keep trying to give them up as the dates really do seem to bother me. I gave up raisins last year because they were like crack to me.. I would go through boxes of them and just kept losing more and more weight. I was suspecting FM.

CS

Larabars are tested by the company for gluten content. Not every single bar but they are tested.

I am sure it's coincidence but the last several Lara Bars I have had seemed to be almost all dates and very little of the other stuff. I am sicker than a dog at present. I keep trying to give them up as the dates really do seem to bother me. I gave up raisins last year because they were like crack to me.. I would go through boxes of them and just kept losing more and more weight. I was suspecting FM.

CS

i cant eat Lara bars at all- because of the high fructose content in the dates. i can handle the tiny bit of dates or raisins in the gluten-free Nugo bars- because its a smaller amount- but not the Lara bars- its too much

Here's a list of foods that are high in Fructose:

http://hubpages.com/hub/High-Fructose-Foods

Do you tolerate figs? or honey?

Figs also seem to be problematic.

CS

Ok weird, i was thinking maybe my usual brand was losing quality or something. I had this very thing happen too, in my case they where even making me nauseous to chew them. As far as i know im still Ok with whole grapes, but i cant stand raisins anymore. Im not sure about dates, as i dont like them to begin with. I do hope i can still eat dried figs.

I have a problem with raisins and dates too, but not fructose in general. Additionally, some brands bother me more than others. That makes me conclude that it is cc and not fructose, or something about the dried fruit itself. That should vary by brand, while cc easily could.

I agree with the above poster...sulfites may be the culprit.

maybe u should google fructose malabsorption- i avoid dates, raisins, pears, etc... the pain & bloating is quite miserable.

I was having the same issues after I realized raisins were delicious, so much for that >_>

I read this, alot of info to potentially relate to or get informed on.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gastroenterology/Cant-Eat-FRUITS-Get-Bloating-and-Diarrhea-Please-Contribute/show/594791

guy seems really helpfull

I know these posts are older, but I have the same problem too. So, now I just stick with fresh fruit only.

If you have problems with raisins then you should be careful of wine, grape jelly, or jam, and things sweetened with grape juice.  Some gluten-free products use grape juice as a sweetner.  And yep, it is an old thread, and the OP never replied.

but welcome to the forum! :)  feel free to ask questions.  We might be able to help.

Hi

Yes it is an old thread but to let you know I have trouble with dried fruit especially dates.

You know, those big squishy, yummy ones - medjool, I think. 

Well, they seriously gluten me (that's just one  :( ) and I have been told that they can be rolled lightly in flour at some stage in their processing!

That would account for it :ph34r: !

I spoke with a farmer who pollinates dates with pollen cut with flour and then places a bag over the flowers to protect the fruit.  The whole thing would be somewhat contaminated with flour at that point.

An allergist told me not to eat sultanas because of the natural fungus that grows on them. I think it's pretty normal to react to dried fruits as a whole when you have slight allergies to fungus/mould as everyone with a damaged gut does. Dried Apricots RUIN me, the sulphates are also a problem but I think the moulds are the main thing.