This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depression Question

Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

Hey,

I just wanted to know if anyone here fights bouts of severe depression and feeling hopeless with the diet even when you know your 100% gluten free,i find one of my earlier symptoms before diagnosis was depression and now i do go through phases of severe bouts still although not as long lasting as before diagnosis,it really impacts my life.I wanted to know if anyone here has the same problem and how they combated it??also how long did it take if ever for the diet to get rid of the depression??I'm seriously concidering maybe medicating for atleast the next few months until the diet kicks in a little longer:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I found that just being diagnosed with a life long condition is a stress and a bit depressing. The stress of being gluten-free can get to you. It's extra work and worry even in the best of circumstances. You can be going along fine, then suddenly, something stupid, like reading labels in a busy grocery will make you sad. I try to find humor in it if I can. Just wanting to say that some depression is normal but if you feel it's a bit unmanageable...it's Ok to get help.

curiousgirl Contributor

I found that just being diagnosed with a life long condition is a stress and a bit depressing. The stress of being gluten-free can get to you. It's extra work and worry even in the best of circumstances. You can be going along fine, then suddenly, something stupid, like reading labels in a busy grocery will make you sad. I try to find humor in it if I can. Just wanting to say that some depression is normal but if you feel it's a bit unmanageable...it's Ok to get help.

Absolutely! I had a lot of anxiety too. At this moment and for a good part of the day, I'm feeling pretty sad. And, it's not just the blues, it's more of a PHYSICAL sadness I FEEL in my chest/heart chakra. It seems there is a difference between being mentally sad...does that make sense to anyone??

But, then it is that time of year and I'm having a new procedure for my motor neuropathy (or CIDP) called ivig. I've had a nurse here (home) for 3 days in a row for 4-5 hours each day and one more day tomorrow...for me, it's difficult to have someone in my space for that amount of time. I don't know...maybe i was glutened afterall.

I just remind myself that in a few days, I'll be ok. I hope that thought helps you get through it.

Hugs

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

i know i appreciate it but is this what i have to look foward to FOREVER??Will my deoression ever go away with this diet or will it always return?? that in itself is enough to keep me depressed:(

curiousgirl Contributor

i know i appreciate it but is this what i have to look foward to FOREVER??Will my deoression ever go away with this diet or will it always return?? that in itself is enough to keep me depressed:(

Yes it will get better...

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you curious :) how long have you been on the diet?? i have almost 3 1/2 months

Ox on the Roof Apprentice

Melissa, I haven't been gluten-free long enough to answer your initial question, but I just wanted to say that I am sorry you are depressed. Last year, when I was REALLY sick, I became extremely depressed. My B12 and D levels were in the basement, but I wasn't diagnosed with the deficiencies for months. We had to move in with my in-laws (thankfully they are amazing and I love them dearly) and I couldn't care for my kids or husband. It was so hard!

Of course, this time of year sometimes aggravates depression. And if you are, indeed, a Mama, that can make things more difficult when you are trying to get yourself well.

Have you had your vitamin levels checked? Mine wasn't ALL vitamins, but getting those up helped a lot. And of course there is nothing wrong with getting on medication if you need it. You don't have to stay on it forever.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mari Explorer

Long before I went gluten-free I found that using loads of turmeric helped the kind of depression you described. I took capsules, make a paste and spread it on different foods, there are lots of recipes online for theraputic use. Later I started taking iodine drops after meals. These remedies both work if the depression is being caused by enteric bacteria producing toxins which cause depression.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

ox you hit the nail on the head i have 2 young children who i now stay home with fulltime, i was part time employed but due to celiac i stopped waitresing with food problems didnt think it mixed well.Mari im not sure what it is caused by as that was one of my nagging symptoms before i got diagnosed,also my father is a manic depressive and i think those things might be herditary:(Boy sometimes i think the mental is worse than the physical symptoms.Thank you ladies for your time i love this board<3

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

oh and ox i did have normal blood tests which showed i did not have anemia but i am going to vitamins panels soon if that is the case it would explain alot:)

Girl, I hear you. I have three of them (8,5 and 3) AND we homeschool. The doctors kept telling me that I was having anxiety and hinting that it was because my kids were stressing me out. They didn't get it - taking care of my kids is my THING! I quit working because I wanted to be with them. But when you are sick, it is very, very hard.

Of course, I might have had anxiety (this weird internal shaking, and random panic attack-like episodes) because my B12 was very low, but since they didn't test for it, they had to come up with something. I got on the B12 injections and mega-doses of D, and after about a month the neuro stuff (including depression) began to fade away like a very bad dream. Unfortunately, the gastro symptoms continued, so here I am, trying to see if gluten is the culprit.

Here's a big (((HUG))) from an understanding mama!

kareng Grand Master

ox you hit the nail on the head i have 2 young children who i now stay home with fulltime, i was part time employed but due to celiac i stopped waitresing with food problems didnt think it mixed well.Mari im not sure what it is caused by as that was one of my nagging symptoms before i got diagnosed,also my father is a manic depressive and i think those things might be herditary:(Boy sometimes i think the mental is worse than the physical symptoms.Thank you ladies for your time i love this board<3

Mellissa, if it runs in the family, a little medical help might be a good idea. From what I have seen on here, it can take a year or so for neuro problems to go away. Getting vitamin levels where they should be helps a lot. Do something silly everyday with your kids. It really helps. Might I suggest ping pong balls and plastic spatulas or hair brushes?

Melissa, if you haven't had that tested, get it done as soon as you can! If those two are low, you can feel psycho, depressed, you name it. It's such an easy, cheap fix! But until your gut is healed, you'll need to do B12 by injection. I think you may be able to do sublingual, too.

Do something silly everyday with your kids.

YES. It's hard to make yourself want to do it, but just pick something easy. I bought one of those silly plug-n-play Pac Man games and we took turns playing. (Don't call the truant officer! :lol: ) Also, we were living with my in-laws and my mother-in-law would drag me to the park, to the zoo, wherever. Just to get me out of the house. It didn't make me feel less sick, but it passed the time and I felt that the kids were getting outdoors and living a bit.

Cypressmyst Explorer

My little black cloud went away at about the three month mark, however I also have a relatively stress free life so others mileage may vary.

The world is so much brighter without that constant shade of grey, life really feels wonderful and worth living. :D

Now one of my glutening symptoms is depression for a day or two afterwards...but at least I know the cause! B)

curiousgirl Contributor

Mama, I;ve been gluten free for 7 months now. However, I'm what we call a silent celiac. I never had D or vomiting, or pains in gut. But, my symptoms among depression, C, crankiness, anxiety, achy muscles and joints, were not being able to get up and and stay out of bed for a few days...absolutely NO energy. I'm diabetic too so some of that is because of sugars being high or low.

May I suggest that if you have a dog or a cat, get one of those laser lights...they'll chase it around wherever you shine it...they'll get you rolling on the floor and laughing out loud. if you don't have a pet, maybe you could get one...something you can hug; let sit on your lap, lick your face, purr in your ear, look at you with unconditional love, enjoy making you laugh????

I recently wanted to temporarily discontinue receiving notifications from this site. I receive so many every day, some of my other "personal" emails had been slipping through the cracks. And, I felt I just needed a break. But, I think I've changed my mind...I can always choose to read the ones that are close to my heart. I really don't know what I'd do if this site wasn't available!

Are you feeling better now?

debnak Newbie

I'm so thankful for everyone's posts about depression. I have suffered from depression my entire life. I was diagnosed with Celiac's in 2004 but when I try to follow the diet I get so angry and depressed that I cave in and eat gluten because it's easier. I'm not sure which depression is worse, the kind I'm used to or the new feeling when I know I can't have what I want to eat....UGH!

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words:)I do have animals but i feel so depressed sometimes i dont even feel like seeing them its a horrible feeling:(My kids are my life but i agree its hard to take proper care of them when you feel down in the dumps,i just want to get over this hump and be normal but deb i totally hear you on the mixed feelings about the diet and also how pricey it can get esepcially with a family.I just want to order out!!!!!!!!!!!

Aggie2011 Newbie

I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac and I do not have severe depression when I am on a gluten-free diet, but if I happen to take in gluten I get very depressed. Does this happen to anyone else, and is there anything that might help with the depression?

Archived