2 replies to this topic

#1 Gutsy Girl

Gutsy Girl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Having big time gut problems, we tend to be acutely aware of how emotions affect our GI system. I personally lived my whole life from childhood in school, through college, and in the workforce KNOWING that if I experienced almost any emotion rather strongly, I was going to have to make a mad dash for the loo and pray I arrived in time before the package was delivered.

Though I seem to handle mild excitement and happy feelings fairly well, I found that any negative emotions or startles were a big big problem. From the most to least problematic, being:

Startled/Surprised (typically by bad news)
Scared/Afraid
Embarrassed
Frustrated
Significantly Angry

I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which certainly compounds the problem.

Have ya'll found some solutions or ways to manage these emotions so that they don't give you a full colon cleanse 3-5 minutes after they register in your brain?

Do you (like me) sometimes not even realize you were feeling ________ (insert offending emotion) until AFTER your guts have gone haywire?

Have ya'll done any reading up on research connecting the mind with the GI tract? Some doctors call the GI system the "second brain". Most of your neurotransmitters are actually created in your GI system too! (Lightbulbs going off for folks wondering why so many of us bad gut people have emotional/mental health challenges?)

Cheers! And thanks for the help and hopefully not-so-stimulating discussion, if you get my stink-free drift.
Chronic pain, Leg Sx's. LD, ADHD, Depression, GAD. Fibromyalgia, Asthma, Lactose Intol, 20+ Foot Fx, Migraines, Car accident 07 -> LBP, etc. Neuropathy now believed celiac disease-related. **2009 - VERY ill, unable to eat/sleep, Big D, Depression, Fainting, Vision Probs, Myoclonic jerk, Coord + Balance Probs, Heart Palp, Breathing Probs, Extreme Pain, etc. Hospitalized, self-diagnosed gluten issues. Slow recovery since 09, still many IBS + gluten ataxia probs.**
Lactose Free - Childhood (or use Lactaid), GFD 07-28-2009, Almond Free 05, Preservative Free 09, Soy Free 10, Millet Free 10, Potato Free 10, still reacting to many foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gutsy Girl

Gutsy Girl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

Geez...does nobody but me have this problem? Any solutions out there?
Chronic pain, Leg Sx's. LD, ADHD, Depression, GAD. Fibromyalgia, Asthma, Lactose Intol, 20+ Foot Fx, Migraines, Car accident 07 -> LBP, etc. Neuropathy now believed celiac disease-related. **2009 - VERY ill, unable to eat/sleep, Big D, Depression, Fainting, Vision Probs, Myoclonic jerk, Coord + Balance Probs, Heart Palp, Breathing Probs, Extreme Pain, etc. Hospitalized, self-diagnosed gluten issues. Slow recovery since 09, still many IBS + gluten ataxia probs.**
Lactose Free - Childhood (or use Lactaid), GFD 07-28-2009, Almond Free 05, Preservative Free 09, Soy Free 10, Millet Free 10, Potato Free 10, still reacting to many foods.

#3 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

I used to get that with anxiety (I too have GAD) so usually in any situation I knew I was going to find hard to deal with I took two immodium. I also really have missed out on certain situations because I refuse to go if I know there isn't a bathroom close, because I know what happens every single time I experience anxiety symptoms. It has gotten tons better since going gluten-free, and the longer I've been gluten-free the better it has gotten, I'm not even on Prozac anymore and I don't see a counselor regularly :) So stick to the diet and try and work though the anxiety (obviously easier said than done, I get that trust me)..if anybody else has better suggestions that would be fantastic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: