This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiacs And/or Crones Disease

brukala

brukala Newbie

I was diagnosed in August of 2010 after a month long illness spent in bed. I returned to my life in Guatemala and contracted H. Pylori bacteria. The bacteria caused inflammation from my esophagus all the way through to my bowels. I have since treated it and am back in the states for more tests. I went in for another endoscopy and my GI is not convinced I have Celiacs. My B12 levels are extremely low and I still have lots of white blood cells in my stool. I am now postponing my trip back for a colonoscopy because he now thinks I might have Crones disease. Has anyone ever gone through this? I feel like he wants to disprove my blood test even though he said he has never seen anyone with a test as high as mine (5.75). I have been living a gluten free diet since my diagnosis (learning the hard ways sometimes). I know that gluten makes me terribly sick with headaches, bloating, nervousness and D. Is Crones common amongst those with Celiacs or are the symptoms related?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beebs Enthusiast

I was diagnosed in August of 2010 after a month long illness spent in bed. I returned to my life in Guatemala and contracted H. Pylori bacteria. The bacteria caused inflammation from my esophagus all the way through to my bowels. I have since treated it and am back in the states for more tests. I went in for another endoscopy and my GI is not convinced I have Celiacs. My B12 levels are extremely low and I still have lots of white blood cells in my stool. I am now postponing my trip back for a colonoscopy because he now thinks I might have Crones disease. Has anyone ever gone through this? I feel like he wants to disprove my blood test even though he said he has never seen anyone with a test as high as mine (5.75). I have been living a gluten free diet since my diagnosis (learning the hard ways sometimes). I know that gluten makes me terribly sick with headaches, bloating, nervousness and D. Is Crones common amongst those with Celiacs or are the symptoms related?

Crohn's is an autoimmune disease same as Celiac. And with autoimmune diseases often when there is one there is many - so yes, absolutely possible to have both.

Have a look at this article that is on this site. It talks about how there is a high prevalence of Celiac in Crohn's disease sufferers.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/915/1/Celiac-Disease-Prevalence-High-in-Patients-with-Crohns-Disease/Page1.html

Good luck - but it sounds like you have a really good Dr who is trying to cross the t's and dot the i's

mushroom Proficient

Welcome to the board!

I am so sorry to hear you are continuing to have problems. Can you tell us how you were diagnosed - blood test only, biopsy only, or both? And was this with the same GI you are seeing now? What symptoms does he now think indicate Crohn's disease? It is not unknown to have both celiac and Crohn's but I would wonder why he is considering this. Anyway, a colonoscopy is a good way to rule it out. :) H. pylori can certainly play havoc with the GI system, and low B12 has a definite association with celiac disease. How long had you been gluten free before the second endoscopy? Because if any length of time had passed on a gluten-free diet, healing should have taken place in the gut and it may well be that you would be negative on the second test - which is a good thing :D I do not understand your test number of 5.75. What test was this, and what was the reference scale the lab used for it?

Archived