10 replies to this topic

#1 plumbago

plumbago

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

I went to Whole Foods yesterday, and it now appears I will have to add yet another store to my food-buying rotation because I could not find any nuts that were without a doubt gluten free. All the 365 brands (and if there are other brands besides that one, I did not see them) say "processed in a facility that also processes wheat," among other things.

Is there some hidden corner I'm missing?

(I don't think I'll use the bulk bins anymore.)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

I'm in the same boat - the worst glutening I ever got was after eating some whole foods nuts without reading the label. :-( The safest nuts I've found are the ones still in the shell that are sold in the fall and winter, you know?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:24 AM

I'm in the same boat - the worst glutening I ever got was after eating some whole foods nuts without reading the label. :-( The safest nuts I've found are the ones still in the shell that are sold in the fall and winter, you know?

That's what I ended up thinking: "well, I guess I'll just have to buy them in the shell." But there are other places, I think, that sell shell gluten-free nuts. In DC, Harris Teeter for instance sells Spanish peanuts raw. I then roast them at home using my own spices. Delicious.

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

Do keep in mind that shared facility notices are voluntary. Just because it does not say on the label that the facility is shared you cannot assume that it is not.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

When I could eat nuts etc, I trusted Planters by Kraft. They will list any gluten, soy etc. They have some natural nuts that list just the nut itself and salt. The natural cashews are awesome!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#6 plumbago

plumbago

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

Do keep in mind that shared facility notices are voluntary. Just because it does not say on the label that the facility is shared you cannot assume that it is not.

Thanks Peter. But wouldn't *raw* Spanish peanuts be ok?

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

They should be. In most cases, I treat the shared facility statement as a legal CYA maneuver.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#8 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

I have gotten so sick on some of these house brand generic nuts in the packaging from shared facilities, esp. the sunflower seeds, I no longer purchase nuts from the store in question. They seem to be running a lot of stuff out of Texas now, which must be one giant state full of gluten with manufacturers with No Earthly Clue. The owner of Whole Foods is not really concerned with anybody's health as much as his bottom line, proved that when he had the editorial ghost written in the WSJ opposing health care reform down here in the States.

#9 avalon

avalon

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

I went to Whole Foods yesterday, and it now appears I will have to add yet another store to my food-buying rotation because I could not find any nuts that were without a doubt gluten free. All the 365 brands (and if there are other brands besides that one, I did not see them) say "processed in a facility that also processes wheat," among other things.

Is there some hidden corner I'm missing?

(I don't think I'll use the bulk bins anymore.)

Trader Joe's has nuts that are not processed in a facility that also processes wheat.

Where can I find Organic Peanuts that are not processed in a facility that also processes wheat or milk?

#10 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

Kraft will disclose gluten and or shared. Planters is a brand to trust. Or am I wrong??? Nut gluten-free eaters??
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Planters is a Kraft brand. I trust Kraft.
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: