9 replies to this topic

#1 mela14

mela14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:25 AM

I've been really sick lately and didn't know what was wrong with me or where I was getting contaminated from. I checked all my foods an meds and have hardly been eating. but my guts has been blowing up and I've been feeling sooooooo sick. I've been waking during the night sweating, stomach pain,muscle pain, and heachache. Just a really sick feeling. I haven't even been able to get out these past few days.
I noticed that after dinner I've been getting more bloated and that's when I relly start to feel ill. I realized that I've been taking 2 Beano's with dinner (to help me digest) but actually get more bloated and feel sick to my stomach. I did some research this morning after reading the ingredients and found thta the product is derived from Asperigillus Niger. After looking it up I found that it is some type of fungus and it says on the bottle allergy not: if sensitivity occurs discontinue and consult your doctor. I know they write these sort of things to protect themselves but after reading what it is I am pretty sure that it IS making me sick! It' is too coincidental tht I've been getting sick since I started taking it.
I also remember reading on this board that someone else had a problem with Aspergillus Niger but didn't know what it was or that it was in Beano at the time.
any thoughts> anyone else have a problem with Beano? Help>>.........I am at the end of my rope with feeling so sick form this! :(
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

Definitely - I have problems with anything with aspergillus in it. Citric acid for the most part is made with it and it's in a lot of foods. Aspergillus is a family of molds and many of them are used in food/meds. Here's a list I have been compiling (all that I have so far):

Some things Aspergillus is in (not just a. niger):

Antibiotics - Erythromycin
  Citric acid - A. niger - flavoring, antioxidant, pH adjustser, emuslfier
  koji (in miso and some soy sauces) - A. oryzae, A. sojae, A. kawachii
  a-amylase, Glucoamylase  (enzyme) - A. spp - laundry detergent
  Carbohydrase - A .Nigar Var. Awamori
  Amyloglucosidases, beta-Glucanase  - A Niger Var.
  oxidases (enzyme) - A. niger - paper & fabric bleaching
  Lipase (enzyme) - A. niger, washing powders, leather tanning, cheese
  production
  Statins - A. terreus, lovistatin, simvastatin, pravastatin
  lactase - A. oryzae, in Lactaid
  alpha-D-galactosidase - A. niger, in Beano
  also, aspergillus (I can't remember which kind) can be found on
  peanuts - it's what makes the aflatoxins that make some people so
  ill. I don't get sick from peanuts but now am thinking of avoiding them.

Hope this helps.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#3 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

Q: Is Beano gluten-free? I didn't think it was gluten-free?
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#4 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:19 PM

I know this about Beano; that if you are allergic to mold or pennicillin you're allergic to Beano too.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#5 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

From Beano's Website...

Does Beano® contain gluten?

The smallest amount of gluten that can be chemically detected in a product is 0.00016 percent. Results of our testing have shown that Beano® contains less than 0.00016 percent gluten. Although the amount of gluten in Beano® is less than the limit of detection, we would recommend that individuals who have concerns about the use of Beano® speak with their physician.

#6 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:43 PM

I am sooooooooooo allergic to Mold! I had itching in my throat all last night too! Who knew? I'll never make that mistake again. I am also going to keep away from all citric acid!
I am finally starting to feel a little better now......but it's been over 24 hours! and to think this has been ging on for days!
NO MORE BEANO FOR ME!

I don't think the tiny amount of gluten was as much a problem as the mold was.

thanks for all you help and for this website. When I saw the ingredient on the back of the Beano bottle I decided to investigate. I remember reading something about aspergillus niger here a few months ago and did a search on it. that's how I got all the usefull info.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better and I'll be able to get out!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#7 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:30 AM

It follows that if you are allergic to mold you couldn't take Beano. They claim on their FAQ this is not true:

Can I take Beano® if I'm allergic to penicillin or mold?

There is nothing in the scientific literature to suggest that individuals with an allergy to penicillin or molds would have an allergy to Beano®.

You'd think with the level of CYA (cover your ass) most companies go by, they wouldn't recommend anyone who is allergic to mold take their product.

http://Lame Advertisement/faqs.asp#12

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#8 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:34 AM

FYI - on citric acid:

Production

In this production technique, which is still the major industrial route to citric acid used today, cultures of Aspergillus niger are fed on sucrose to produce citric acid. After the mold is filtered out of the resulting solution, citric acid is isolated by precipitating it with lime (calcium hydroxide) to yield calcium citrate salt, from which citric acid is regenerated by treatment with sulfuric acid.

Alternatively, citric acid is sometimes isolated from the fermentation broth by extraction with a hydrocarbon solution of the organic base trilaurylamine, followed by re-extraction from the organic solution by water.

From http://en.wikipedia....iki/Citric_acid

What frustrates me is that I can't find a single brand of aloe vera juice without citric acid in it and since I am either sensitive to or allergic to a. niger, I end up getting worse from drinking the aloe juice, despite the fact I'm taking it to help calm my stomach/gut. It would be great if there was one preserved with ascorbic acid...

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#9 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:03 AM

I am soooooo convinced that the mold did me in! In fact those nights that I was sick this with abdominal syptoms this week after taking it..... I also had horrible throat itching. It was so bad that it woke me up. My entire head was stuffed and pounding. I could not get any air in or out of my nostrils. It actually started shortly after taking the Beano but I hadn't given it much thought.
so much for what they claim!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

#10 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:19 PM

Well, I did learn something today! Thanks for the head's-up on the beano/mold/penicillin thing. I will have to stay away from it!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: