This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Teeth Problems.

DragonQueen

DragonQueen Explorer

I want to know who here has teeth problems, like me. I get tooth decay and one of my canines came out 6 months ago and is probably 25% grown in, I think it just stopped growing. The other canine just camel out last night and I noticed a hole in it :o My other teeth like molars came out a while ago and when I went to touch them they practicaly crumbled! Anyone have these problems or something related to them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Celiacs often have teeth problems. I think it probably has to do with a lack of calcium and vitamin D due to the villi damage and malabsorption caused by gluten. I used to have at least one cavity almost everytime I went to the dentist. But after being on the diet for over a year, I went to the dentist and had no cavities! YAY!

Bette Explorer

I understand the cavaty problem. I think it's a liitle weird my tooth stoped growing. Has anyone here had something like that? (Oh Gee I hope it grows in or I'm gonna have a wacked out smile :blink: )

DragonQueen Explorer

(Darn it! Forgot to log my mom out! That was actually me posting in the previous post.) <_<

gf4life Enthusiast

Dragonqueen,

My son Ben has that problem with his teeth not growing. He lost a tooth about a year and a half ago and after about 6 months I told the dentist I was worried about it since it hadn't started growing back yet. They ended up putting a spacer in and only now is it starting to grow back after a year and a half, only it still hasn't broken through the gums yet, but Ben can feel it there...Some of his other teeth have grown very slowly also, and he has had problems with decay, teeth growing in behind other teeth and the list goes on...

All three of my kids and I have almost NO enamel on our teeth. We all have tons of crowns, even my daughter who is 6 has about 5 crowns on her little teeth, plus tons of other dental work that she has had done...But the good news for me is that like Carrie, after a year and a half gluten-free I just recently had my teeth cleaned and I had no new cavities! I don't think I have ever had a visit in my entire life where I didn't have at least one cavity (and usually more!). My teeth are also less sensitive than they used to be. I had a cleaning and it wasn't painful! That is a first for me for at least the last 10 years!

Just hang in there, your teeth might be able to repair themselves a little bit. Make sure that you are getting enough calcium and also magnesium. Without a good amount of magnesium your body won't absorb very much of the calcium and it is extremely important for you right now.

God bless,

Mariann

P.S. did you get our e-mails? Ben is waiting to hear back from you. :)

• 3 weeks later...
AnnieMarie Apprentice

Hello.

I also had problems with my teeth my whole life. If you can believe this one I actually had two baby teeth until I was 25 yrs. old. The permanants never grew!. They stayed in until the dentist had to remove the molars behind them. As a result on that extraction my "baby" teeth no longer had support,so instead of only loosing 2 teeth that day I wound up loosing 4.

Never knew that it might have anything to do with gluten.What do you!!!!

I already have two bottom bridges and need two top ones. The two bridges the dentist put in are given me problems (not the dentist fault) one of the molars that anchors the bridge needs a root canal I said "no!! No more root canals for me.The other side is now sensitive. I have a front tooth capped. The whole proceesed has stopped because now I need to see the orthaodontist.

When I turned 30, I asked the dentist to pull my remaing teeth. He said no and that the insurance would not cover it. I had too many remaing "good teeth"

Because I had such problems I was extremely careful with my childrens teeth. I brushed them myself until they were two and gave vitamin supplements. I think this has helped my 12 yr. old who is also gluten intolerant. Plus today you kids are lucky, most schools and dentist offer sealants now which offers a lot of protection.

I am sick of going to the dentist. Thank goodness they have gotten better with pain relief. When I was younger I dreaded going!!!

AnnieMarie

gf4life Enthusiast
most schools and dentist offer sealants now which offers a lot of protection.

This was never offered, and when I asked one of our dentists about it, they said that the sealants wouldn't help my childs teeth due to the area where the cavities were. The sealant only covers certain areas of the teeth. I wonder if they had went ahead and put the sealant on if it might have made a difference.

Our teeth are so bad it is almost like they were rotting from the inside out. Mine have gotten much better since going gluten-free.

My moms teeth were literally crumbling apart in her mouth at 40 years old! And her bones were like an 80 year old woman who didn't take calcium supplements...I am pretty sure I got the Celiac from her. She died at age 44 though, so we will never know.

God bless,

Mariann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angellove839 Rookie

I dont even have wisdom teeth (an xray proves it) and they were never pulled out. They just never grew! Also when I was a baby, the first teeth I had were completely black. When I got my adult teeth, the dentist put sealants on the back molars and I still got cavitites. I always brushed and flossed my teeth and didnt eat many sugary things. Also my front teeth turned out to me white on the tips and jaggedy. Is this because of Celiac?

VydorScope Proficient

I have all 4 of my Wisdom teeth removed (all four impacted), and over 20 fillings (I lost track LOL) and they realy want me get more work done.... and NO dental insuranace :(

SO yea, Im celiac disease with Detenal issuess to....

Guest Agonist

My wisdom teeth have been slowly growing in for about a year, so I understand the slow growth

DragonQueen Explorer

Well I'm pretty sure that all my other baby teeth beside my molars fell out (except for a few that have already fallen out.) Ya slow growth seems to be my main problem right now and vitamin defenciancy.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

My son's teeth look terrible, but once again, the dentist assures me they're fine. She even took xrays and looked at the new teeth coming in and said it all looks good. No cavities, no enamal problems that she can see. I can't believe it, but I guess I have to at this point. I'm thankful, but I was sure there were problems due to the polka dotted nature of his teeth. He has a lot of sensitivity, but she gave us a prescription toothpaste to try for a month. She said his adult teeth may be stronger. I wish they would test infants for Celiac disease as it would prevent SO MANY potential problems. It's completely unnerving to be the mother of a late dxd Celiac child. You spend years looking for the consequences of the delayed dx.

• 4 weeks later...
DragonQueen Explorer

Hey good news!!!

My teeth that have been missing and never grew in after I lost my baby teeth last Jan. (the 2 canines)they are now beginning to grow!!! Yeah :lol:

I have been on the diet now more than 2 months(started at the beginning of the summer) and also taking calcium supplements.

I hope everybody elses teeth problems can be straightened out too !!!

gf4life Enthusiast

Congratulations Kayla! Ben's teeth have been growing too!

DragonQueen Explorer

Wow, thats cool gf4life .

Thanks to you.It was your idea to have gone on the calcium supplement :D

Yay! Now my teeth will be normal! :lol:

Archived