This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Danimals Dinkable Yogurt Gluten Testing

lisabp

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Thanks for the link, I was not aware that there were tests to detect levels of rye and barley. I only thought it was for wheat

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

That's new to me, too ;)

Guest nini

Lisa, glad to see you stuck around. When my daughter was dx at 3 the only thing we could get her to eat/drink was those darned pediasure milkshakes. I couldn't talk her into eating food for nothin. "no food mommy, tummy hurts" made me just want to cry. I just kept offering her safe gluten-free choices and eventually she found one or two things she would eat and we stuck with those for a while then gradually added more foods. Once she realized that eating didn't have to make her hurt, then she started getting more adventurous. But that first year I really had to bribe her to eat. Now at 5, she eats like a piggy!

• 4 years later...
catgriffith Newbie

Lisa, I know it has been years since you tested Danimals drinkable yogurts, but I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on the Strawberry Explosion flavor (or just any flavor in general if you don't have specifics on the strawberry) and if it was/still might be gluten-free? I have a 7 yr old daughter with Celiac who loves them, but is getting gluten somewhere and I am just trying to figure it out. I am 1 by 1 eliminating items from her diet, and I cannot get a straight answer from the company.

Did you by any chance test Light and Fit vanilla yogurt?

Do you by any chance know of a chapstick that is gluten-free? (besides Burts...she hates that taste)

Thanks for posting! :)

Cat.

My son was just diagnosed celiac disease less than a month ago and up to then his absolutely favorite food, and the only thing he would eat sometime for a week, is Danimals Banana Drinkable Yogurt (he will put up with the Vanilla only because it come sin the same package and that's sometime all that is left). I tried everything else out there that is officially gluten-free and he wouldn't drink any of the smoothies or yogurts. Since I am a professor and researcher I looked into getting an assay kit for gluten and I did get one that requires a lab to run it (centrifuge and all). There are home tests that are about $20 per test and this one is $10 per test which is not cheap, but for his yogurts I will do it. This test also goes all the way down to 5 ppm (the other home test is 200 ppm gluten).

With all of this introduction, I have checked now 3 batches of Danimals drinkable yogurt, banana and vanilla flavor, marked from plant 49-64 (I assume that's what that means in the top of the lid) and none of them have shown any gluten. The latest batch has a pull date of July 19. Dannon does not guarantee that these are gluten free so I will keep testing every 2-3 weeks as I get a new batch (4-5 boxes of 8) of the yogurt.

If anyone wants me to let them know the results each time, I would be happy to let you know. I am not going to be running tests on anything else (takes about an hour each test and costs $10 per test) so don't ask me to do that. There are probably contract labs that can do that if it's really necessary, but I'd be happy to keep anyone informed who wants to know about the yogurts that I have been testing.

Lisa Peppas

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Lisa, I didn't think that the initial replies that you got were at all what you deserved based on your post. Some odd things can go on here. As a mother with a sick child, you do all you can to keep him safe. It can be really hard when for instance you realize that you have been making your child sick with what you have been feeding him. I have been through that a few times. There are many like minded people out there. I wish you the best figuring all this stuff out. There are many stumbling blocks.

Whoops I didn't notice how old all those posts were. Lisa is probably long gone.

Good luck figuring things out Cat.

jackay Enthusiast

Lisa,

If by chance you are still reading this forum, know that many support what you are doing. If you hava a sick 19 month old and all he eats is one thing, by all means feed him that one thing. As he gets healthier (and older), he will start trying more foods. I don't know of any picky eater that grows up just eating just one food. Is there any way you can slip a liquid gluten free multivitamin in the yogurt?

Exposing your child to other foods is a good idea. I've read that it takes seven times for a child to be exposed to a food before they'll try it. Even if it takes 7X7X7 times, keep offering them. Don't encourage him to try them and don't expect him to eat them. Comment to others (not your child) as you are eating something how good it is. That may make him want to try it. Once his tummy heals, he may be more willing.

If you can afford the expensive gluten testing for foods, go for it. It has to be cheaper than taking your child to the doctor because he gets sick.

So if by chance you are still reading this forum, change your name and continue with us. There is a lot of good advice you can get from others. Just ignore the bad advise and don't take it personally.

Hugs to your little guy.

Jackay

• 1 year later...
dejiannes Newbie

Hi. I just found out that my son has celiac... he also loves these yogurts. I called and got the same answer. Did you happen to test the Strawberry or Rockn Raspberry? if i do a test, do you think it needs to be done over and over again? Where did you get the test from. Thanks for your help! Lynda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived