This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leap Mrt Test Results

Jenny Leigh

Jenny Leigh Rookie

I thought I would start a new topic, as my original thread is getting very long winded and this topic possibly deserves it.

Here is my original thread if you would like to view my story, undiagnosed symptoms, and many doctor failures:

I will make one more post on that thread leaving a link to this one in case someone needs it to follow along.

Before I go over this I would like to point out that I have been STRICTLY gluten free for 4 weeks (including body products). Yesterday and today I binged on gluten and have not had a single negative impact so far... leading me to think gluten free may not be my path.

LEAP MRT test:

It is by Signet Diagnostics, and is a blood test measuring food sensitivities (not allergies, and not intolerances... so Celiac and gluten intolerance it wouldn't pick up) to 150 different foods. Food sensitivities give a delayed negative impact. Basically, I'd eat shrimp today and get D tomorrow... The test is new, and I'm sure not devoid of controversy. Going to work with a dietitian based on these results for an elimination and rotation diet. Apparently food sensitivities can change based on how much you consume 1 food.

Test Results:

Reactive to the following:

- Sodium Metabisulfite

- Sodium Sulfite

- FD&C Green #3

- Mint

- Peach

- Tilapia

Moderately Reactive to the following... worst in italics:

- Fructose, Lecithin, Ibuprophen, Salicylic Acid, Cottage Cheese, Cow's Milk, Cane Sugar, Banana, Mushroom, Green Pepper, Buckwheat, Millet, Barley, Rice, Shrimp, Egg, Lamb, Turkey, Cola Nut, Baker's Yeast, Lentil, Peanut, Cashew, Pecan, Pistachio, Almond, Lima Bean

My thoughts on the results:

First off, I have felt better since going gluten free, but the lack of any negative impact from my gluten binge has me thrown.

Okay, the milk and shrimp thing I understand. I've had reactions to those specifically. The sulfites I get, because I've become intolerant of wine :( . Now, gluten free has *forced* me off of all processed foods, so almost removing sulfites from my diet aside from the raisins... maybe that is why I feel better?

MINT??? Are you serious???? I would have *never* even guessed that. Considering toothpaste and mouthwash I consume mint every day. Peaches and tilapia I very rarely consume and can't think of a specific reaction to them, but that was before I was paying attention to food.

I begin the recommended elimination diet on 1/5/11. If there is enough interest in this topic, I will update you as to the results of my diet. I *must* gain at least 25 pounds for me to consider myself back to normal. So there is my new years resolution...

Let me know what you think of this, and if you want any updates. I'm going to talk to the dietitian about going back on gluten free and see what she thinks, but I'm beginning to think I don't actually have a gluten intolerance... I remain unconvinced of everything though... :/ See my profile page for results of every blood test I have had done in the past year to figure this out if you have any questions about previous tests.

Happy new year and may this year be better than the last!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't know anything about those blood tests so I won't address those. What you are doing by binging on gluten is a challenge. Keep it up daily for a week. It can take up to a week for a reaction to appear. Also keep in mind that symptoms that are not tummy related may appear before the upset stomach, fatigue, depression or anxiety, muscle and joint pain etc. may appear first. It took 3 days back on gluten before I reacted and my doctor said that was normal and was why he told me to only add one item at a time for a full week on my elimination diet.

Skylark Collaborator

LEAP is definitely not devoid of controversy. As far as I know, LEAP will not pick up celiac disease. They are not looking at the right cells.

I can eat a little wheat sometimes with no obvious consequences; other times I react to ridiculously low amounts of CC. It's not predictable but I feel dramatically better on a very strict gluten-free diet. I would not take a lack of reaction to one day of eating wheat as evidence either way for celiac. You need to go back to a full gluten diet for a few weeks and see if the symptoms that went away return if you are not convinced gluten is an issue. Remember that gluten has more subtle effects on people than only celiac. Some people are sensitive to wheat germ agglutinin and others are sensitive to opiod-like peptides present in gluten and casein.

If I were you, I would look at the RPAH failsafe diet for food chemical sensitivity rather than unproven tests like LEAP.

Open Original Shared Link

Jenny Leigh Rookie

I don't know anything about those blood tests so I won't address those. What you are doing by binging on gluten is a challenge. Keep it up daily for a week. It can take up to a week for a reaction to appear. Also keep in mind that symptoms that are not tummy related may appear before the upset stomach, fatigue, depression or anxiety, muscle and joint pain etc. may appear first. It took 3 days back on gluten before I reacted and my doctor said that was normal and was why he told me to only add one item at a time for a full week on my elimination diet.

I've started to feel a bit down today... tired, mild headache, grumpy, jumpy vision. It isn't a strong enough reaction yet for me to think it is truly gluten (yet). I'll continue with the gluten challenge until Tuesday night, when my diet with the dietitian begins. I'll speak to her about it.

LEAP is definitely not devoid of controversy. As far as I know, LEAP will not pick up celiac disease. They are not looking at the right cells.

I can eat a little wheat sometimes with no obvious consequences; other times I react to ridiculously low amounts of CC. It's not predictable but I feel dramatically better on a very strict gluten-free diet. I would not take a lack of reaction to one day of eating wheat as evidence either way for celiac. You need to go back to a full gluten diet for a few weeks and see if the symptoms that went away return if you are not convinced gluten is an issue. Remember that gluten has more subtle effects on people than only celiac. Some people are sensitive to wheat germ agglutinin and others are sensitive to opiod-like peptides present in gluten and casein.

If I were you, I would look at the RPAH failsafe diet for food chemical sensitivity rather than unproven tests like LEAP.

Open Original Shared Link

Yes, the MRT will most certainly NOT diagnosis anyone with gluten intolerance or Celiac... so it is absolutely not a substitute for a test through a gluten free diet and then a gluten challenge. I took this test to see if there was anything else going on, so I could better tailor an elimination/rotation diet from it. Considering I *have* felt better since being gluten free, I will probably dive back into gluten free once I am done with this gluten challenge and working with the dietitian.

I had also been casein free for about 3 weeks and started eating yogurt again this weekend as well. Still waiting on a significant response from both of these proteins.

Thank you for the link! I'll definitely check it out because I have noticed I've become annoyed by scented and cleaning products recently.

Since I've already paid for the MRT testing and gotten some results, I'm going to run with it for now. I know that it will not catch everything... so if my initial few weeks of elimination based on it are not cutting it, then I will go more strict with the RPAH elimination. Wish I had found that RPAH diet earlier...

Thank you both for your responses! Sure hope this all works out!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You mention that you are also adding in yogurt at the same time as you are doing the gluten challenge. That is not a real good idea as it may make it hard to tell which you are reacting to. It is best to challenge with one item at a time to avoid confusion. Also be aware that not all dietians are knowledgeable about gluten and celiac disease. Yours may be but be prepared in case he or she isn't.

jorge0464 Rookie

Hi girl,

If I were you, I will send an stool sample to Enterolab to be tested. It is rare Enterolab will give you a false negative. Another thing you should look at is an intestinal fungal overgrowth. (candida) It is thought candida can trigger Celiac disease or gluten intolerance. An intestinal fungal overgrowth can cause a fall of health problems.

Jorge.

Skylark Collaborator

Enterolab is as poorly validated as LEAP.

Good luck with the elimination and RPAH diet. I really hope you figure out what is causing your troubles!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived