4 replies to this topic

#1 Ceciwright

Ceciwright

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:48 AM

I had been under the impression that I could only take the original, not the generic, store brands. However, pharmacies in town are no longer able to get Sudafed brand of the little red pills! Allergy season is in full swing here, and I am trying to figure out what to take instead of the original.
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in April, 2010.
Working very hard to get the hang of gluten-free diet!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

The majority of medicines, both brand name and generic, are gluten-free. You (or your pharmacist) should be able to confirm the status by calling the manufacturer (or the store for a private label).

Be careful how the question is asked. "Is this product gluten-free?" may get a "No" answer for legal rather than factual reasons.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

Go to the stores and write down the phone number and lot number on the genetics. Go home and call on them. I had one generic that was gluten-free but I forget which one. I think it may have been Walgreens generic if you have those stores near you. But check.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Franceen

Franceen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

I have used many Sudaphed generics successfully: Walmart, CVS, Costco, BJs, Kroger. When I first tried each one I read the label. I've never had a problem with them. And I agree with "Moderator" all the companies DO tell you they are NOT gluten-free because they don't test for gluten and their lawyers have told them they HAVE to say that. So I no longer call companies. I read the label with Google open to search for ingredients I don't recognize. Been successful so far, for 6 year.

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#5 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

I use Wal-Mart brand Sudafed and have called them several times to ask about the gluten free status of a product. They simply tell me, "This product does not contain gluten ingredients" or "This product does contain gluten ingredients." Simple and easy :) I mark my boxes of medication that have been confirmed gluten free with a gluten-free with permanent marker so I remember that it's gluten free :)
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: