11 replies to this topic

#1 brendab

brendab

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

So, my 2 year old son had his biopsy in November and the Dr saw no damage but she said that there still could be some that cannot be seen with the naked eye. She said there was damage to the intestines but from food allergies. Tell me, what would the difference be in damage? I didn't think about it until this morning so I didn't ask her.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

I don't understand her comment that there could still be some damage that cannot be seen with the naked eye. The reason for a biopsy is to look at the specimen under a microscope, because a Dr. can't tell for sure what's going on with the naked eye!
Am I making sense? Celiac causes the villi to be almost non-existent in some cases...I'm not sure what food allergies would do to the intestines. That's what you need to ask her: what do the villi look like and what is the difference in the way an intestine looks like with damage from celiac vs. allergies.

Hope that helps.
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#3 brendab

brendab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I don't understand her comment that there could still be some damage that cannot be seen with the naked eye. The reason for a biopsy is to look at the specimen under a microscope, because a Dr. can't tell for sure what's going on with the naked eye!
Am I making sense? Celiac causes the villi to be almost non-existent in some cases...I'm not sure what food allergies would do to the intestines. That's what you need to ask her: what do the villi look like and what is the difference in the way an intestine looks like with damage from celiac vs. allergies.

Hope that helps.

Well, I think she was referring to any ulcers or polyps, etc. So it occured to me today, when talking to a friend about this, that I am now wondering what the visual difference would be so I thought I'd ask the experts here :) She's hard to get ahold of, I'm hoping there is a vast difference because if it's just damage to her through the microscope and maybe it's the beginnings of damage as in celiac damage and she's mistaking it for food allergy damage (whatever that entails) I hope she'd know and can explain to me. I'm rambling I am sure, thank you for the reply.

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

Food allergies don't cause ulcers or polyps! That doesn't make sense. If you google under intestinal damage and causes, all you get pretty much is celiac, Chrohn's, ulcerative collitis, perhaps gastroparesis. It is possible that what was seen on biopsy was some inflammation which is often the first sign of early celiac. I think you should get a copy of the repirt and see what it says for yourself.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Her statement is confusing. Are you sure she took biopsies? How many did she take? Is it possible she just did a scope and didn't actaully take any samples? It's my understanding from reading on here (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they can't see villi damage when they do an endoscopy (during the procedure), that's why they can miss biopsying the damaged regions of the intestines if the damage is patchy. People do have just scopes however to look for polyps and ulcers. I think you may need to find a new doctor if she didn't do a biopsy to look for villi damage.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

http://www.medscape....rticle/405488_2

Although villous atrophy is not exclusive of celiac disease, it is considered a crucial finding. Other causes of blunted villi include tropical sprue, malnutrition, intolerance to cow's milk, soy protein intolerance, and infectious gastroenteritis. However, most of these conditions can be readily excluded on the basis of clinical history and laboratory data.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 brendab

brendab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

Food allergies don't cause ulcers or polyps! That doesn't make sense. If you google under intestinal damage and causes, all you get pretty much is celiac, Chrohn's, ulcerative collitis, perhaps gastroparesis. It is possible that what was seen on biopsy was some inflammation which is often the first sign of early celiac. I think you should get a copy of the repirt and see what it says for yourself.

She was investigating why my son would be bleeding intestinally and said that polyps could cause bleeding, she was also looking for any ulcers so initially she didn't see anything but when she did the biopsy and really looked closely she saw damage that she said was from food allergies. It got me to thinking about how she would know the difference between gluten damage and say, dairy damage?

#8 brendab

brendab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

http://www.medscape....rticle/405488_2

Although villous atrophy is not exclusive of celiac disease, it is considered a crucial finding. Other causes of blunted villi include tropical sprue, malnutrition, intolerance to cow's milk, soy protein intolerance, and infectious gastroenteritis. However, most of these conditions can be readily excluded on the basis of clinical history and laboratory data.

Your link doesn't work, what is it? He's allergic to dairy and wheat; they affect his intestines.

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Your link doesn't work, what is it? He's allergic to dairy and wheat; they affect his intestines.

The link needs to be subscribed too. I copied and pasted the information for you.

Do you or his father have digestive issues, or a history of intestinal distress (IBS)?
Lisa

#10 brendab

brendab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

The link needs to be subscribed too. I copied and pasted the information for you.

Do you or his father have digestive issues, or a history of intestinal distress (IBS)?

Oh I see now, thank you for that.

Yes, I was diagnosed with IBS that is "cured" by going gluten-free. I tested neg through the blood test for celiac and quit there. I stay gluten free because it helps me in a number of ways, not just in the bowels.

#11 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Oh I see now, thank you for that.

Yes, I was diagnosed with IBS that is "cured" by going gluten-free. I tested neg through the blood test for celiac and quit there. I stay gluten free because it helps me in a number of ways, not just in the bowels.

I have always heard that testing children under the age of five is unreliable. And the tendency can be genetic.

Perhaps you can put your son on a gluten free/dairy free diet for a period of several months. Positive dietary response can be diagnosis as well.
Lisa

#12 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

I would venture to guess that your child's doctor is not knowledgeable enough to determine whether or not your son's biopsy shows signs of villi destruction or not. Even trained pathologists can find reading biopsies difficult. Also, sometimes the scope can't reach the area that is damaged in the small intestine. Would your doctor be willing to send the biopsy to a trained pathologist or gastroenterologist for a second opinion? Since you have gluten sensitivity, it would seem logical for the doctor to suggest a gluten-free diet for your son to see if the symptoms resolve themselves. If you don't get direct, logical answers from her, perhaps you need to seek another medical opinion elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: