6 replies to this topic

#1 TPT

TPT

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

My biopsy for dh came back negative. (I am still questioning my negative celiac disease results, and am planning to further investigate.) I gather many of you have gone through allergy patch testing in search of a reason for your rashes.

Just looking for experiences. What things did they test you for and how bad was the process? Were you able to shower at all? It takes 5 days total!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 drgoogle

drgoogle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

An allergist I saw suggested patch testing but my dermatologist made me cancel the appointments because he said I'd just get "angry back" since my skin is hypersensitive right now. Thing is, I think it's hypersensitive because of the DH and skin trauma relationship.

They did say it'd be a bunch of patches on my back, then I'd have to come back in a couple days. I'm sure it's not fun or convenient, but if it helps give you some answers it's probably worth it!

#3 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

An allergist I saw suggested patch testing but my dermatologist made me cancel the appointments because he said I'd just get "angry back" since my skin is hypersensitive right now. Thing is, I think it's hypersensitive because of the DH and skin trauma relationship.

They did say it'd be a bunch of patches on my back, then I'd have to come back in a couple days. I'm sure it's not fun or convenient, but if it helps give you some answers it's probably worth it!

It's over a 5 day period. I'd have to go to the doctor Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Not looking forward to the process, but hoping I'll get some answers.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:13 AM

My biopsy for dh came back negative. (I am still questioning my negative celiac disease results, and am planning to further investigate.) I gather many of you have gone through allergy patch testing in search of a reason for your rashes.

Just looking for experiences. What things did they test you for and how bad was the process? Were you able to shower at all? It takes 5 days total!!

Did they biopsy the lesion or the skin next to it? If they biopsied the lesion itself then the test would be a false negative as the biopsy needs to be taken from intact skin next to the lesion.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 TPT

TPT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:22 AM

Did they biopsy the lesion or the skin next to it? If they biopsied the lesion itself then the test would be a false negative as the biopsy needs to be taken from intact skin next to the lesion.

They biopsied the lesion itself AND the skin next to it.

#6 drgoogle

drgoogle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Does it always have to be completely normal skin? 2 docs biopsied me with a punch, taking a lesion but in addition a tiny bit of surrounding normal-ish skin. One of those docs is a dermatologist specifically looking to rule out DH. Surely he would know what he was doing? I even asked if he had to take some normal skin and he just said "no no this is fine for now"

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Does it always have to be completely normal skin? 2 docs biopsied me with a punch, taking a lesion but in addition a tiny bit of surrounding normal-ish skin. One of those docs is a dermatologist specifically looking to rule out DH. Surely he would know what he was doing? I even asked if he had to take some normal skin and he just said "no no this is fine for now"

It does need to be intact skin next to the lesion. Just because the doctor that did the biopsy was a dermatologist doesn't always mean they know how to do the biopsy correctly. I suffered greatly from DH for almost all my life and saw many derms. I was told it was everything from 'poison ivy in my blood stream' to 'pickers acne' to 'contact dermatitis'. The only doctor to biopsy was supposed to be the best in my area and he biopsied...the lesion. I have had the clearest skin in my life now in my 50's after suffering with DH since the age of about 5.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: