arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

New Armour Thyroid And Synthroid Contain Gluten!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

Lisa
Tigercat
did your internist from Oakland give this to you? I'm caaling to make my appt on Monday with him. I had to make sure he was under my insurance...
thanks mamaw...Maybe that will help meas well....

Yes, mamaw. His name is doctor Steven Hodak, my Endo doctor at the Falk Clinic in Oakland. He really is amazing! He called the companies himself and changed me to Levoxyl from King Pharm. since I wasn't getting any better on the gluten free diet for those first three months. He really listened to me and his nurses are so understanding. They helped me so much! Good Luck! I hope he's taking new patients He's pretty popular. But if not, he has other doctors in his group that are great, too. Hopefully they'll be able to help you! :)
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

Tigercat

I'm hoping he will consider a med with both T-4 & T-3..And I hope I get to see him... I need a second opinion......
thanks again

#18 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:21 AM

This is insane.

Celiac disease contributes to thyroid disease. Proven medical fact.

Manufacturers of thyroid medications are putting gluten into it, or cannot or will not guarantee its gluten status.

Many of these drug manufacturers are using imported base ingredients, it's going to take another outbreak along the lines of melamine tainted pet food scandal (which was an importer in the U.S. deliberately coordinating mislabeling of a "human food grade" gluten protein with the out of country Chinese processor, according to the court documents and testimony I researched, so it would be even less suspect when used in pet foods) before people wise up and demand that prescription fillers/binders of grain products be certified more carefully. Another big scandal going on recently with how certain vendors at Ali-baba, the huge wholesale site which brokers much of the raw ingredients used in medicine manufacturing, were paying for their "premium" status. The two top CEO's resigned. While the few online references to this talk about consumer goods like handbags and electronics, it is important for consumers on this side of the ocean to recognize where things come from, what they are really made of, and keep up the demand for safety regulations in quality control. SOMEBODY has to care what is in the medicines.

#19 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

Amen !!!! It's a shame one cannot even trust a doctor to insure what they are writng scripts for is safe for the person.The buck in the pocket is more valuable than human ife...very sad...

#20 4everglutenfree

4everglutenfree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

For those of you that cannot have gluten, corn, soy, casein. NatureThroid does not contain any of these. Armour also contains corn as the binder. I cannot have these. I Have been doing great since starting NatureThroid. It is amazing.

#21 norcal_gf

norcal_gf

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

This is unbelievable! But explains my horrible reaction when I was taking Synthroid several years ago. Since I was feeling worse my doctor increased my dose - which lead to feeling like I was having an emotion break down. (They were over medicating me!) I cold turkey stop taking Synthroid and started taking the over the counter vitamin Selenium. Works perfect for me ever since. I know this is not for everyone - but I was boarder line Hypo and didn't need to take Synthroid. Horrible stuff, and it suppresses your thyroid so you have no chance of healing.

#22 Lady_Alkaline

Lady_Alkaline

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Dear Lisa,

Your post has helped me. I was beginning to think I was crazy as I am having much difficulty with digesting anything. Something changed in me with using Armour in Nov. 2011 (I had been on it with no problems for 3 years). It was like I quit digesting foods properly. I also began to have awful symtoms: throat constricting, naseau, stomach pains, even weird symptoms of sore tongue and acid reflux or full feeling in neck and stomach.

I quit taking Armour and started to see these symptoms lessen or altogether disappear. Feeling that I needed to take a thyroid supplement I went to get the Armour compounded (maybe less allergens?)but no - again my symptoms reappeared.

Again I quit taking Armour. Also again symtoms subsided.

I decided to try Nature-throid, again weird symptoms are returning.

I too have changed my diet as you with only eating natural foods and gluten-free.
This now affirms the medicine is causing my grief.

I am going to make an appt. with my doctor and look into Levoxyl.

Many thanks for your share.
Sloan

#23 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Dear Lisa,

Your post has helped me. I was beginning to think I was crazy as I am having much difficulty with digesting anything. Something changed in me with using Armour in Nov. 2011 (I had been on it with no problems for 3 years). It was like I quit digesting foods properly. I also began to have awful symtoms: throat constricting, naseau, stomach pains, even weird symptoms of sore tongue and acid reflux or full feeling in neck and stomach.

I quit taking Armour and started to see these symptoms lessen or altogether disappear. Feeling that I needed to take a thyroid supplement I went to get the Armour compounded (maybe less allergens?)but no - again my symptoms reappeared.

Again I quit taking Armour. Also again symtoms subsided.

I decided to try Nature-throid, again weird symptoms are returning.

I too have changed my diet as you with only eating natural foods and gluten-free.
This now affirms the medicine is causing my grief.

I am going to make an appt. with my doctor and look into Levoxyl.

Many thanks for your share.
Sloan

Nature-throid is completely gluten-free. I have used it for a long time, am an incredibly sensitive Celiac and I have had no weirdness with it. It is also far better to take a thyroid med with both T3 and T4 in it, as opposed to Levoxyl, which is only T4. I used Levoxyl for a while but it did not do the job for me because it's a T4 med only.

I know it's easy to become paranoid about thyroid meds when you have Celiac but I have yet to find any which contain gluten. I am in the US so only have used what's available here. As Peter said in his earlier post, the disclaimer is for liability reasons only. It in no way means there is gluten in the product. You can also have weirdness with thyroid meds if the dose is not correct. It affects your metabolism so stomach issues can erupt from an incorrect dose. I have never used Synthroid because I think it is a rip-off. There are many that work better than Synthroid and cost a fraction of what it does.

Unless you have proof that a certain med contains gluten, do not post that it does. Nature-throid is a really good thyroid med and many Celiacs use it without issue. I would hate to see this branded as a bad choice for us.

#24 nomogluten

nomogluten

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

A couple of years ago when Armour was having production problems my doctor recommended compounded pig thyroid available at a local pharmacy. I started on that and noticed gluten issues - until I had the pharmacy switch from gelatin capsules to cellulose ones. I have done better, both thyroid- and gluten-wise, on compounded pig thyroid in cellulose capsules than anything else I have tried (Synthroid, levothyroxine (sp?), Armour thyroid). The major drawback is the cost - significantly higher that the other options; insurance may or may not cover, but will probably consider it a "premium" prescription which carries a higher co-pay. I started back on Armour again for the first time in a couple of years just a couple of weeks ago because of the cost differential (about $25-30 more a month), but am noticing possible gluten related issues, so, just this morning decided to go back on the compounded pig thyroid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: