Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

New In Beijing And To Gluten Free! Please Help!

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I only found out that I was gluten and lactose intolerant 2 months before moving to China. Right when I start getting comfortable with what I can eat, we move to a place that has a limited selection of gluten free items. I have found one place that makes gluten free bread here and it was inedible (and thats being kind). I don't have an oven, so I am thinking of buying a bread maker and a gluten free baking cookbook. I feel like I might have to order a bread maker from Amazon and have it shipped here...because I want the instructions and machine to be in English. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you -Katharine

Ads by Google:

Welcome kckilpat from me, too! (I am new here as well, but for my daughter who is gluten intolerant :))

I like dixiebell's suggestion and Thank You to dixiebell. I am going to take a look at that recipe as well.

Welcome kckilpat from me, too! (I am new here as well, but for my daughter who is gluten intolerant :))

I like dixiebell's suggestion and Thank You to dixiebell. I am going to take a look at that recipe as well.

Thank you to both of you, I will check that recipe out. Befree11, welcome to Beijing. I am always looking to make new friends, email me if you would like to meet up. kckilpatrick@gmx.com

--one box of 365 Gluten Free Sandwich Bread Mix (Whole Foods)

--the stuff the box tells you to use---warm water, butter, eggs, enclosed yeast packet

The Directions.

--prepare dough according to the instructions on the box for oven-method.

(I always use hot water with gluten-free baking. The boxes say luke-warm, but I use hot.)

--spray a loaf pan with cooking spray, dump in batter

--put the loaf pan into a 6qt oval crockpot--you don't need to wait for rising time, it will rise in the crock

--prop the lid ajar with a chopstick or spoon

--cover and cook on high for 2-5 hours. This loaf was done right around 3 3/4 hours.

--remove from pan; let cool before slicing

She has a couple of books too: Stephanie O'Dea- Make it Fast, Cook it Slow and more Make it Fast, Cook it Slow

This one has a gluten free setting. Cuisinart CBK-200 2-Lb Convection Automatic Bread Maker. I make bread from scratch.. my machine (Black and Decker) is ancient and kinda busted.

:) http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Gluten-Free-Kitchen-Delicious-Recipes-Intolerance/dp/0761522727/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318902803&sr=8-2

i started with this book

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for chips this list will help

http://www.fritolay.com/your-health/us-products-not-containing-gluten-ingredients.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that book has good recipes in it trust me

and heres my fav gluten-free store too

http://www.celiac.com/glutenfreemall/

im glad to help you.

your welcome.

Try to have a gluten-free card in Mandarin with you wherever you go, even if you speak Mandarin because explaining gluten-free will be very difficult.