9 replies to this topic

#1 Trymester

Trymester

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

If you share a kitchen with others who DO eat gluten, what do you do about the microwave situation? Its easier to get your own plates, utensils, etc., but do you also think you should get your own microwave? If I covered my glass bowl with a glass plate, would my food inside still be free from contamination?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

It should be fine, but be aware of what's on the handle, buttons, etc.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 modiddly16

modiddly16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

If you're really worried about it just wipe it down before you put your food in, sometimes things explode! But you really should be fine, I've never had anything drip into my food from the top of the microwave (the thought just made me gag a bit). Definitely be wary of the buttons and handles though, I wipe those with little clorox wipes all the time!

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Should be fine. You will just become the microwave cleaner! ;)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 India

India

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

Assuming the microwave is fairly clean, I don't think it'll be a problem. I've always covered my food in microwaves anyway, to reduce cleaning. I have to share a microwave at work and I've been fine so far.

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

#6 Trymester

Trymester

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Assuming the microwave is fairly clean, I don't think it'll be a problem. I've always covered my food in microwaves anyway, to reduce cleaning. I have to share a microwave at work and I've been fine so far.

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I'm uppin' this thread to see if there is any new opinions out there. You guys have reassured me for the most part though.

#7 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

If you share a kitchen with others who DO eat gluten, what do you do about the microwave situation? Its easier to get your own plates, utensils, etc., but do you also think you should get your own microwave? If I covered my glass bowl with a glass plate, would my food inside still be free from contamination?

I have thought about this as well! Especially at work, I've used the microwaves there, but wonder because I still have some pain everyday. I keep my food in it's container with lid and wrap it with paper towels. I use a paper towel to touch buttons. I'm now wondering about wipes?! I may be crazy, but I can be having a good day and step into my work "schools" lunchroom and start to hurt within 10 minutes. I have to touch a shared keypad to put my kids lunch numbers in, so I'm face first with gluten in the line. I try very hard to never touch a tray either. I wash my hands afterwards, but still end up feeling like crap after that. Is it the microwave or I'm super sensitive. I'm Celiac with an allergy to wheat abd barely as well.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#8 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

One bad experience will always make me cover the food in the microwave. Now, the microwave I used at a friend's house was SOOOOO disgustingly dirty that I should have done it in the first place. I heated my dd's food in the container we brought, left their house for a Blazer game, got to the game and spent the entire first half in the bathroom with horrible D and cramps. We ended up leaving and I barely got her home before it started up again :( Never again!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#9 NecrochildK

NecrochildK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

I was wondering about this myself. Just this evening my hubby had some pasta he heated up in the microwave and shortly after I heated up some rice and gluten free tempura sauce. I didn't even really think about it, but after eating I suddenly started feeling terribly exhausted. THe sudden onset usually only happens when I've been glutened and I wind up battling hypoglycemic attacks. I haven't had an attack yet tonight, but it feels like my blood sugar keeps wanting to dip down. I could only imagine it could have been the condensation from the microwave as there really wasn't anything else.

#10 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

My hubby and son are still eating gluten and most of that food is heated in the microwave.

I was heating the cup of water for my instant coffee every morning in that microwave and I wasn't feeling very good, even though I was so careful. The chance for cc seemed so great that I got a second microwave of my own, just to be safe. It was on sale...

We are a bit cramped for space here, but I have a microwave cart with my own coffee/sugar. There's no need for me to touch the other micrwave, so if there was any chance of cc it's gone now. I feel much safer. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: