Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  




Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:




Ads by Google:






   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Um...question About Microwaves And Cross Contamination
0

10 posts in this topic

If you share a kitchen with others who DO eat gluten, what do you do about the microwave situation? Its easier to get your own plates, utensils, etc., but do you also think you should get your own microwave? If I covered my glass bowl with a glass plate, would my food inside still be free from contamination?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:

It should be fine, but be aware of what's on the handle, buttons, etc.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're really worried about it just wipe it down before you put your food in, sometimes things explode! But you really should be fine, I've never had anything drip into my food from the top of the microwave (the thought just made me gag a bit). Definitely be wary of the buttons and handles though, I wipe those with little clorox wipes all the time!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be fine. You will just become the microwave cleaner! ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the microwave is fairly clean, I don't think it'll be a problem. I've always covered my food in microwaves anyway, to reduce cleaning. I have to share a microwave at work and I've been fine so far.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Assuming the microwave is fairly clean, I don't think it'll be a problem. I've always covered my food in microwaves anyway, to reduce cleaning. I have to share a microwave at work and I've been fine so far.

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I'm uppin' this thread to see if there is any new opinions out there. You guys have reassured me for the most part though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you share a kitchen with others who DO eat gluten, what do you do about the microwave situation? Its easier to get your own plates, utensils, etc., but do you also think you should get your own microwave? If I covered my glass bowl with a glass plate, would my food inside still be free from contamination?

I have thought about this as well! Especially at work, I've used the microwaves there, but wonder because I still have some pain everyday. I keep my food in it's container with lid and wrap it with paper towels. I use a paper towel to touch buttons. I'm now wondering about wipes?! I may be crazy, but I can be having a good day and step into my work "schools" lunchroom and start to hurt within 10 minutes. I have to touch a shared keypad to put my kids lunch numbers in, so I'm face first with gluten in the line. I try very hard to never touch a tray either. I wash my hands afterwards, but still end up feeling like crap after that. Is it the microwave or I'm super sensitive. I'm Celiac with an allergy to wheat abd barely as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One bad experience will always make me cover the food in the microwave. Now, the microwave I used at a friend's house was SOOOOO disgustingly dirty that I should have done it in the first place. I heated my dd's food in the container we brought, left their house for a Blazer game, got to the game and spent the entire first half in the bathroom with horrible D and cramps. We ended up leaving and I barely got her home before it started up again :( Never again!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering about this myself. Just this evening my hubby had some pasta he heated up in the microwave and shortly after I heated up some rice and gluten free tempura sauce. I didn't even really think about it, but after eating I suddenly started feeling terribly exhausted. THe sudden onset usually only happens when I've been glutened and I wind up battling hypoglycemic attacks. I haven't had an attack yet tonight, but it feels like my blood sugar keeps wanting to dip down. I could only imagine it could have been the condensation from the microwave as there really wasn't anything else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hubby and son are still eating gluten and most of that food is heated in the microwave.

I was heating the cup of water for my instant coffee every morning in that microwave and I wasn't feeling very good, even though I was so careful. The chance for cc seemed so great that I got a second microwave of my own, just to be safe. It was on sale...

We are a bit cramped for space here, but I have a microwave cart with my own coffee/sugar. There's no need for me to touch the other micrwave, so if there was any chance of cc it's gone now. I feel much safer. :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.