Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

How Many Of Your Gi Doctors Were Willing?

• Please log in to reply

33 replies to this topic

#31 Shamrock

Shamrock

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:47 AM

All these stories are kind of scary. I went to my internist who seems to dismiss my feelings that I might have celiac. However did write me a referral to a GI but wrote on it "Colitis". I have done some research and although there is some similiarities in symptoms I did tell him I have a brother with Celiac and my syptoms seem somewhat textbook for Celiac not Colitis- I am in an HMO so I am hoping for the best when I go to GI- I was gluten-free for about 5 weeks and then went back after finding that I had to be on gluten to be tested- sure enough I have been feeling sick ever since- August 5(my appt date) can't come soon enough for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 snoopini

snoopini

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:23 PM

My doctor actually lied to me and told me he took "several" biopsies during my endo.....he actually only took one! I'd like to find somebody who specializes in celiac or one who is more inclined to accept it!!

#33 dianne

dianne

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:01 AM

I just saw a new GI because I wasn't happy with the one I had. The first GI never did an endoscopy, or a biopsy. GI number two says that the blood test that the first one did was such a poor test that htey don't even use it anymore. So, he's not sure that I have Celiac's. In my first office visit, he was gave me a more thorough exam than number one ever did. He's going to try me on a slice of toast in the morning, prior to an endoscopy four weeks from now. It's such a pleasure to have a GI who communicates with me, and seems to know what to look for, and cares about me! I wasn't familiar enough with celiac disease prior to being diagnosed, to know what tests to ask for. I don't even know what blood tests I had. Even after my diagnosis (which I had to call the doctor to get), he didn't discuss the condition with me, other than to refer me to a dietician. I'm so glad my PCP referred me to this doctor! This group of gastroenterologists seem to be very familiar with celiac disease. Even before I was referred to them, I found them on the Internet. through a celiac-related website. :D

#34 crc0622

crc0622

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:40 AM

I, too, saw a doctor of middle-eastern descent and was diagnosed on my second visit -- he scheduled the edoscopy right away and I had a diagnosis within 2 weeks. Yes, I am lucky and thankful, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: