This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating The Same Thing, Over And Over

mandigirl1

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Has anyone else ever experienced this before? :blink:

You find one food you can have, particularly a food you love. And then you eat it over and over again?????

I get into this food "rut" where I cant get enough of something, I eat it all the time...for example, nuts, rice pudding, chocolate (dangerous), peanut butter, chocolate rice cakes......

Its like its an addiction......and I never get that "full" feeling. I could just go on and on...

Is this related to Celiac, do you think or is it just me, happily enjoying a gluten free food????

My stomach is like a bottomless pit!!!! I never feel "full" or satisfied that Ive had enough.....my nutritionist told me that its psychological.

What do you fellow Celiacs think about this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Shoot, if nuts don't fill you up it MUST be psychological. Seriously, most of the foods you listed are very low in protien, so you can eat a lot without getting the "I'm full" signal. Try eating hard-boiled eggs and see if your full mechinism is working. I think you'll find it is.

cdford Contributor

I am having the opposite problem (for the first time in my life). I don't have any appetite. I have to eat to take my meds and I am having to force myself to find something to eat. Nothing smells or tastes good. That is way out of the norm for me. I usually have a wide variety type of diet.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Donna -

That doesn't sound like much fun! Do you know what's going on? Possibly a side effect from your meds? Are you worried? :huh:

I am worried! Be sure to take care of yourself & get enough food in that bod! *hug* :)

- Michelle :wub:

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I get on food kicks, a lot.

Try eating a little bit of food more times a day. Like, eat just some then wait until later to eat some more and so on.

Nic from Aust Newbie

My coeliac Daughter has the same thing. She fixates on one food and will eat and eat it until someone stops her. I thought it was just because the food she has to eats wasn't filling her up enough. But perhaps it is related to coeliacs :huh:

Guest gfinnebraska

I get full, but I do tend to get in a "rut" with my eating. I went through a phase where I CRAVED grapes... ate grapes every single day for lunch!! Couldn't get enough grapes!! Now I don't want to see another grape... ;) Right now it is blueberries. :) I am also bad about hamburger patties. I make nice, big thick ones and grill it. YUMMY!! I just bought a side of beef, so I could eat a hamburger patty every night!! But, I do feel full. Like another post said, try adding more protein into your diet and see if you feel full then. If not, something is going on other than craving the same foods.

Take care!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rmmadden Contributor

I think it's a combination of being Celiac and a Psychological thing. We are limited in the things we can eat so I tend to obsess about or enjoy a particular item (Rice Pudding for example) for several days at a time. It then manifests itself into an emotional state (almost like a protest) against everything we can't have anymore. I know I am doing it but must allow myself a few days to get the emotion out of my system before coming back down to earth.

Personally, when I am feeling well is the most dangerous time for me because I then want to wander and eat different foods (gluten-free foods but things I haven't eaten in a while). Last week it was Ice Cream. I have learned (the hard way) that I need to steer the straight-and-narrow course until my intestine heals up.

Best Of Luck To All!

Cleveland Bob B)

megzmc3611 Rookie

Mandigirl,

Are your intestine's healed yet from your gluten-free diet? Before I was diagnosed with Celiac, I would eat and eat and eat and NEVER get full (which of course makes sense since my body was not digesting any of the food I was consuming). After being on the gluten-free diet for some time, I started to get "full" after eating. I do get on HUGE food kicks though and that will be all I eat for months on end. For instance right now I am on this soy crisps and casabe rain forest cracker kick. I can't get enough of either. I will be in trouble if one of the foods I get "obsessed" with happens to get minute amounts of gluten in the production process!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
You find one food you can have, particularly a food you love. And then you eat it over and over again?????
I was like that before I went on the gluten-free diet but once I went on the gluten-free diet, it got worse (I think I have a super high metabolism). I find it really hard to feel "full" and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat. Before I went gluten-free, the only thing that really made me feel full was bread or "big" dinners (Wheat bread can give you a fasle sense of being full, I guess that's what it worked!) Now I have to eat a ton of food to feel full :)
printmaker81 Rookie
My stomach is like a bottomless pit!!!!

I know exactly how you feel. I've only been gluten-free for a couple months, so I am probably still looking at some intestinal damage. I was a vegetarian before, so I wasn't used to heavy foods anyway. Now, however, I get hungry again about an hour after I eat. I've just tried to adjust by eating much smaller portions more frequently. I try to keep a wide range of fruits and raw veggies on hand. I suggest just buying a couple of each fruit/veggie you like that way you'll have a big supply, but it will be varied. If you don't have much of one thing in the house, it's easier to try to eat something else once it's gone.

Everyone laughs at me because I am always eating and still so skinny. I ditto what others have said about upping the protein though. That's about the only thing that makes my stomach quit it's whinning for more food.

UIDancer Apprentice

I know where you're coming from. For me, going gluten-free has made me lose my sense of control when it comes to eating. When someone tells you you can't have something what do you want? You want that thing the most! So I feel like I've begun eating to gain back that control. It's only at dinner time and it's mostly on healthy things like huge quantities of fruit. I eat until I basically can't move and then I'm overcome by guilt. I quickly came to realize that I had a problem. I don't know if it's as serious for you... maybe you just really really like something, in which case I can also relate because I used to eat oatmeal once or twice a day every day for like a month because I loved it!

My solution was to start going to Overeaters Anonymous meetings and to make small changes in my habits. I don't keep much easy to eat food around my apartment. Most foods in my kitchen either need to be dethawed or cooked (I've begun freezing everything to make it hard for me to grab for something). Some other things that might help... sit down at the table with a plate and silverware (mindless eating happens for me in front of the TV), take a walk when you feel yourself reaching for more, keep a food journal.

And if it's not as "serious" as it is for me, then disregard but hopefully my advice will help someone. Good luck!

anniej55 Apprentice

Thank God - I was beginning to think I'd gone off the deep end. :lol: Tostios, my safe food. I was diagnosed about 2 months ago and I tell people they should have taken out stock in the company. It has replaced my bread; in the morning with coffee, for my snacks during the day, at lunchtime and at night. But now it seems to have gone away (the craving) ... but I am angry about not being able to eat what I want, which is a new emotion this week. I actually drove to the store last night with the intention of buying what I want and eating it, the hell with this stupid disease. Yes, my gut is healed (I don't think I was that bad listening to some of the other stories on this board). The only thing, and I mean ONLY thing, that kept me from doing it was the fact that I know that beer made me itch like crazy before I was diagnosed. Other then that, I can almost convince myself that the doctors have made a mistake and I can eat anything and everything. I was diagnosed with a IgG and IgA blood work .... so no real "proof" to me. There was 2 months ago .... but a distant memory at best.

I don't know how I'm going to do this for the rest of my life. How do you all go out to eat? You can't be sure that the mayo in the tuna plate is safe .... or anything else, for that matter ... do you just eat it and hope for the best?

celiac3270 Collaborator

I do the same thing sometimes. Try to avoid that, though, not only because you eventually hate the food, but because that's a surefire way to develop allergies.

Guest Viola

Boy, I can sure relate to this. I'm one of the ones that goes in streaks. I eat and eat and eat .. and then I'll go a week or so where I totally loose my appetite. And you're right, it's usually about one or two foods until you get sick of them eventually ... although I don't think I'll ever get sick of chocolate :lol:

But I've been on the diet for over 16 years, so I'm healed as well as I'm ever going to heal. Perhaps it is a phycological thing. :rolleyes:

PreOptMegs Explorer

I am the exact same way. I really think I could eat, and eat, and eat. I really do have a pit for a stomach. I believe that since my mind knows it can't have gluten anymore, then it will focus and "crave" all of the other things it CAN have. I could eat fruit until the cows come home, but I will never get that 'satisfied' feeling like okay that is enough. Not really sure what the problem is, but it is a good guess that it is part mental because being diagnosed with celiac isn't exactly a small bump in the road.... it is a complete lifestyle change which can be very discouraging at times.

anniej55 Apprentice

Discouraging isn't even the word for it ... lunchtimes are the worst. I am so freakin hungry ... all I want is a BLT on Wonder Bread. I cannot tell you how close I am to giving in. I think that if my 22 year old daughter wasn't here - she would be SO upset if I ate the wrong food - I would say the heck with it and just chow down. She goes back to college in September, so this had better pass by then!

SharonF Contributor

You might find, if you decide to go ahead and have that sandwich, that it will be the last gluten you ever intentionally eat. I was gluten-free last September and October and then decided to "cheat" on Thanksgiving. After spending the next day running to the bathroom, and feeling the glutened brain fog, I decided it wasn't worth it.

You do get used to the diet. But I binge on favorite foods too. "I can have M&Ms? Great! I'll eat a giant bag myself!"

anniej55 Apprentice

Hi Sharon,

Eating the wrong food was taken out of my hands .... I changed shampoos and, you guessed it, the new one has wheat in it. I have been in the bathroom for the past two days. So YES - I do believe I have Celiacs and NO - I will not intentionally eat the wrong foods. I was feeling so darned good up until two days ago ... and now I'm sleeping and, well, you know what else!

:rolleyes:

anniej55 Apprentice

Mandigirl - the anger has passed. I'm still at a loss as to what to eat for lunch (besides butterfingers, the only thing I really want) and my stomach was feeling well enough tonight to have some chicken and a baked potatoe. Although I tend to stay away from the taters; I gain weight just looking at them and can ill afford that. I thought a salad would just upset an already shaky stomach. I'll have to look for the pizzas; I do like Food By George's muffins.

And I know the potential seriousness of eating the wrong stuff ... I've already been checked for lymphoma (now THAT'S a wake up call). I was just venting .... I don't know what I'd do without this board. My family is trying - my daughter is really good and watches what I eat like a hawk - but my mom is having a difficult time with what I can and cannot eat.

Ann

celiac3270 Collaborator

Foods by George makes a very good frozen pizza. And I like the Chebe breadmix for a pizza crust the most.

watkinson Apprentice

Hi mandigirl and everyone,

I also get cravings even though I 100% know that I am completley full. A few people

suggested eating more protien. Absolutely! Eggs, red meat, and fish, (like salmon) are great. If you don't like salmon, try it again...grilled is great, also bake it with a horshradish mustard...yummm.

Somtimes I think we get cravings and keep eating because our bodies are trying to tell us that we need some specific nutrient. Try taking a multi vitamin, and try eating more green leafy vegies.

Also, if you keep having cravings but you don't want to eat. Try drinking a glass of green tea. It has antioxidants and is very good for you. It also has a natural appetiite suppressant. Plus the act of sipping something warm is very satisfying. You can also try drinking a glass of milk (if your not dairy intollerant). The milk will fill you up quickly, and will satisfy some cravings, as it is rich in protein and sugar.

One last thing...check on this site for the safe and forbiden lists of foods, you can also get a list of mainstream foods that are gluten-free. You will see that there are hundreds of items we can get even from our local grocery stores. You may find a gluten-free substitute for your favorite foods or maybe even find out that some of them were gluten free all along!

Good luck, Wendy

Archived