21 replies to this topic

#16 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:48 AM

I am the exact same way. I really think I could eat, and eat, and eat. I really do have a pit for a stomach. I believe that since my mind knows it can't have gluten anymore, then it will focus and "crave" all of the other things it CAN have. I could eat fruit until the cows come home, but I will never get that 'satisfied' feeling like okay that is enough. Not really sure what the problem is, but it is a good guess that it is part mental because being diagnosed with celiac isn't exactly a small bump in the road.... it is a complete lifestyle change which can be very discouraging at times.
I LOVE JESUS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 anniej55

anniej55

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:37 AM

Discouraging isn't even the word for it ... lunchtimes are the worst. I am so freakin hungry ... all I want is a BLT on Wonder Bread. I cannot tell you how close I am to giving in. I think that if my 22 year old daughter wasn't here - she would be SO upset if I ate the wrong food - I would say the heck with it and just chow down. She goes back to college in September, so this had better pass by then!

#18 SharonF

SharonF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:40 AM

You might find, if you decide to go ahead and have that sandwich, that it will be the last gluten you ever intentionally eat. I was gluten-free last September and October and then decided to "cheat" on Thanksgiving. After spending the next day running to the bathroom, and feeling the glutened brain fog, I decided it wasn't worth it.

You do get used to the diet. But I binge on favorite foods too. "I can have M&Ms? Great! I'll eat a giant bag myself!"
Mom of 3
Diagnosed celiac August 2004

#19 anniej55

anniej55

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:06 PM

Hi Sharon,

Eating the wrong food was taken out of my hands .... I changed shampoos and, you guessed it, the new one has wheat in it. I have been in the bathroom for the past two days. So YES - I do believe I have Celiacs and NO - I will not intentionally eat the wrong foods. I was feeling so darned good up until two days ago ... and now I'm sleeping and, well, you know what else!

:rolleyes:

#20 anniej55

anniej55

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:18 PM

Mandigirl - the anger has passed. I'm still at a loss as to what to eat for lunch (besides butterfingers, the only thing I really want) and my stomach was feeling well enough tonight to have some chicken and a baked potatoe. Although I tend to stay away from the taters; I gain weight just looking at them and can ill afford that. I thought a salad would just upset an already shaky stomach. I'll have to look for the pizzas; I do like Food By George's muffins.

And I know the potential seriousness of eating the wrong stuff ... I've already been checked for lymphoma (now THAT'S a wake up call). I was just venting .... I don't know what I'd do without this board. My family is trying - my daughter is really good and watches what I eat like a hawk - but my mom is having a difficult time with what I can and cannot eat.

Ann

#21 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:12 AM

Foods by George makes a very good frozen pizza. And I like the Chebe breadmix for a pizza crust the most.

#22 watkinson

watkinson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:13 AM

Hi mandigirl and everyone,
I also get cravings even though I 100% know that I am completley full. A few people
suggested eating more protien. Absolutely! Eggs, red meat, and fish, (like salmon) are great. If you don't like salmon, try it again...grilled is great, also bake it with a horshradish mustard...yummm.

Somtimes I think we get cravings and keep eating because our bodies are trying to tell us that we need some specific nutrient. Try taking a multi vitamin, and try eating more green leafy vegies.
Also, if you keep having cravings but you don't want to eat. Try drinking a glass of green tea. It has antioxidants and is very good for you. It also has a natural appetiite suppressant. Plus the act of sipping something warm is very satisfying. You can also try drinking a glass of milk (if your not dairy intollerant). The milk will fill you up quickly, and will satisfy some cravings, as it is rich in protein and sugar.

One last thing...check on this site for the safe and forbiden lists of foods, you can also get a list of mainstream foods that are gluten-free. You will see that there are hundreds of items we can get even from our local grocery stores. You may find a gluten-free substitute for your favorite foods or maybe even find out that some of them were gluten free all along!

Good luck, Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: