8 replies to this topic

#1 bincongo

bincongo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

I am hearing more talk of having to check out the manufacturer's of the generic drugs. I get mine mail ordered so I don't have direct pharmacy access. Does anyone know if Sandoz or Richmond Pharmacy only make gluten free drugs. I am not getting an answer on line. I take Levothyroxine, Clonidine and Fosinopril generic.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

I don't know where you are. In Canada, Apotex is a large manufacturer of generic prescription medications. They have told me that none of their products contain gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,721 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

I only take one med and it is by Sandoz. I know that is gluten free but don't know if all of them are. If you do a search with "Sandoz and contact info" you will find their contact info to call and ask them.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

ya- it's probably best to call each company yourself about each particular med. im in the process of doing that myself... it can be quite complicated when you're using different pharmacies- and some brand names & some generic :blink:
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#5 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

I live in the USA. My Sandoz medicines checked out ok but it turns out the Richmond pharmacy is not listed anywhere as a drug maker so someone in Richmond is trying to help me out. And now I am not sure about Nexium. My mail order pharmacy that is government run(Tricare) doesn't like to give me anything but generics.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac

#6 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

I talked to the makers of Nexium today and now they say that their inactive ingredients come from outside sources and can not be guaranteed to be without CC issues. I see that Nexium on the gluten free durg sites is still listed as gluten free. Is this something new? Should I change medicines and if so which one? Is this something all the drug makers have to deal with?

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

Yes, a lot of the problem with drugs is that the manufacturers source their ingredients from outside companies, and while they do not use or add gluten to their product themselves they find it hard to verify if the ingredients from other companies are gluten free.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,721 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:51 AM

Re the Nexium. Are you still having heartburn? If your not you may want to talk to your doctor about weaning off the heartburn meds. It is important not to stop this med suddenly as it can have a rebound effect if you do. If you are you may want to make sure you don't have an additional intolerance. Oddly enough soy gives me awful heartburn, which liquid Pepto Bismal takes care of in one dose, gluten doesn't give me heartburn at all but does give me awful cramping. Everyone is different though.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

Re the Nexium. Are you still having heartburn? If your not you may want to talk to your doctor about weaning off the heartburn meds. It is important not to stop this med suddenly as it can have a rebound effect if you do. If you are you may want to make sure you don't have an additional intolerance. Oddly enough soy gives me awful heartburn, which liquid Pepto Bismal takes care of in one dose, gluten doesn't give me heartburn at all but does give me awful cramping. Everyone is different though.

My GI doctor wanted me to be on Nexium for a year which isn't recommended from what I have researched. I said I would do it for 6 months. I am in the process of weaning myself off it but I am doing it slowly. I never really had a lot of heartburn but my endoscopy showed a lot of stomach problems. I am sure being gluten free will help that too. I just am trying to be very careful and having to worry about the medicines I take should not be an issue but it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: