3 replies to this topic

#1 Tynkfx

Tynkfx

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:37 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but ive been gluten free since july 10 and ive noticed recently my nails are becoming really brittle, which ive always had strong nails, and ive been breaking out with acme way more then usual and frequent. has anyone else had these problems? i know im probably not getting enough vitamins and minerals in my system. as of right now im just taken a gluten free B-12. any help or advice would be very helpful and i would be very great-full.
Gluten free since July 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:30 AM

It would be a good idea to add a good gluten free multivitamin to the B12. What are you eating? Mostly whole unprocessed foods will help you heal and absorb more from your food. Are you using topical products with gluten ingredients? If so you may want to avoid them for a bit and see if that helps your skin clear up.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but ive been gluten free since july 10 and ive noticed recently my nails are becoming really brittle, which ive always had strong nails, and ive been breaking out with acme way more then usual and frequent. has anyone else had these problems? i know im probably not getting enough vitamins and minerals in my system. as of right now im just taken a gluten free B-12. any help or advice would be very helpful and i would be very great-full.

Hi!Once I read somewhere online that brittle nails with ridges in them are the sign of iron deficiency. I had brittle nail and I was iron deficient. Maybe you can check that.
Before I went gluten free I had trouble with acne for 5 years. I found out what was causing mine. It was milk. I reduced the intake of milk product rapidly. Soon I ate somothing with milk in it, next day I had big acne on my face. Milk was my trigger for acne. I don't eat nothing with casein in it and my face is clean again.
I also had trouble with gas and .... after I drank milk or ate ice cream. I tought that I'm milk intolerant. In July 2010 I had test for milk allergy. I tested positive for milk(casein).
Try to abvoid lactose and casein for maybe two months and you might see the improvement. Anyway we should avoid lactose, or milk when we go gluten free.

#4 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

Milk was my trigger for acne. I don't eat nothing with casein in it and my face is clean again.

Me too. If I consume dairy, my face will break out the next day.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: