24 replies to this topic

#1 precious831

precious831

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

Does anyone know of any? Right now I'm using Bare Minerals, they're pricey though. What's everyone using? Thanks!
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

I use Zuzu, a gluten-free line that I get at my local health food store. I stopped using Bare Minerals after Dr. Oz warned about the hidden dangers of breathing in the nano-particals. Not sure if it's really something to worry about, but he doesn't usually go too far off the deep end, so I stopped using it just in case. I like the ZuZu line - it's all natural but performs well. I don't think you'll find much cost savings with it, however.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

Good makeup pays for itself in the long run. I love Bare Minerals. I also use Benefit Hello Flawless. it's incredible stuff. I'm a total makeup and product snob. I just think in the long run you waste money on cheap products and they ruin your hair and your skin
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

In case you have some free time......

http://www.celiac.co...ineral-make-up/
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#5 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

I won't use Bare Minerals because of the bismuth oxychloride they put in it but I love Silk Naturals. The woman who owns the company, Karen, is meticulous about gluten. The few products that actually have gluten a couple skincare items are made on separate equipment in another room. They specialize in pure, often vegan, products that aren't stuffed with harmful and unnecessary chemicals like a lot of drugstore and higher end brands.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#6 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

Good makeup pays for itself in the long run. I love Bare Minerals. I also use Benefit Hello Flawless. it's incredible stuff. I'm a total makeup and product snob. I just think in the long run you waste money on cheap products and they ruin your hair and your skin

I wasn't saying I want cheap makeup, I was just looking for options. Before I used Bare Minerals, I was using Clinique everything, that's expensive too. I have very sensitive skin and don't wear a lot of makeup but it would be nice to have a little every now and then for like church and going out with friends.

#7 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I just saw that ad here for Joelle, I'll check that out too, seems like a good one. I don't want to keep using Bare Minerals because it has corn(the mineral veil at least has it) and I avoid all grains. It just sucks because I have so much left of this stuff.

#8 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

I use Zuzu, a gluten-free line that I get at my local health food store. I stopped using Bare Minerals after Dr. Oz warned about the hidden dangers of breathing in the nano-particals. Not sure if it's really something to worry about, but he doesn't usually go too far off the deep end, so I stopped using it just in case. I like the ZuZu line - it's all natural but performs well. I don't think you'll find much cost savings with it, however.

I have and use some of the ZuZu products. I was told they are gluten-free, however, after I'd been using the lipgloss for 4 months I found out that it contains wheatgerm oil. I got the list for every ZuZu item at a large health food store.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#9 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

I have and use some of the ZuZu products. I was told they are gluten-free, however, after I'd been using the lipgloss for 4 months I found out that it contains wheatgerm oil. I got the list for every ZuZu item at a large health food store.

Thanks for the update on Zu zu!

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

I can't use Bare Minerals either due the bismuth--makes my face itch. I really like the Everyday Minerals, and use their foundation. I tried a few mineral foundations after I stopped the Bare Minerals, and really liked how Everyday offers lots of colors and finishes--and has sample sizes so you can get the perfect match with your skin.

For blush I use Nars, eye shadows--Smashbox, lipstick--either Burt's Bee's Shimmers or Afterglow Cosmetics. I also love Loreal's Telescopic Explosion Mascara--the round brush is great.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#11 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

I use a combo of Mary Kay, Avon, Cover Girl, MAC, and softlips. That pretty much runs the gamut on pricing!
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#12 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Good to know. I don't use their lipgloss, I use another natural brand that is gluten free..and I double-checked that specifically since I would likely ingest it.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#13 julandjo

julandjo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

Everyday Minerals!
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

#14 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Everyday Minerals!

I used to use Everyday Minerals but developed a reaction. I have very fair, sensitive skin. I switched to Meow Cosmetics (also online). Their website is awful. Use the Cat Chat Forum to have the experts determine which color is best for you.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#15 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

I use a combo of Mary Kay, Avon, Cover Girl, MAC, and softlips. That pretty much runs the gamut on pricing!

Do you happen to use any of the softlip shimmers? If so, which shades? I've been thinking of trying them.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: